C4 Forums | Control4

Looking for an integrator in Seattle/Kirkland

iaudio

<sorry if this is a spam. i tried to promote an older thread and can't tell if it went through>

Just finishing up my home and looking for an installer. Trying to avoid the usual known big shops as I think they'd be expensive. I want to start small

1. Lighting: Lutron Caseta as I don't have $$ for RA2, RA3 but will definitely upgrade in future)
  2. Whole House Audio: Sonos for who house audio (very used to Sonos since its inception). 
  3. Networking: Nothing crazy but a Ubiquii or something similar would do. I have always had Netgear Orbi's etc which do the job but I always wondered if UBs were an upgrade. Some folks quote Araknis et al which I believe is an overkill.
  4. C4: A basic C4 system with a wal control upstairs and downstairs that pull all of this into one app/one experience
  5. Josh.AI: Only if budget permits I'd like to splurge just a bit to try this beauty.

I won't nickle and dime but i do want a say in hardware Ex: Speakers, projectors etc and maybe even purchase some on my own to avoid markup/ leverage deals. So, if anyone wants to work with me I can assure you I will be a good long term customers and can get referrals too. 

#Seattle #Kirkland

Don't install Orbi imho..

For some devices, most support enquiries are directly related to products like Orbi (to the point I don't consider Orbi supported).

Ubiquiti is a much better product. Araknis and Ubiquiti imho, are two entirely different products, with different advantages / benefits. Make sure all hardwired though

Thanks @chopedogg88 My goal was to land someone local and build with 'em slowly. I am savvy enough (work for a software company) but I don't mind if there are places wherein I can use someone else's brains, who has experience in that space. So, remote may work after things are steup but would be tough to start with. 
Thanks for your tips @Andrew luecke

question - While I still look for C4 dealers in Seattle do you think it is smarter and cost effective to piece meal these - Ex: Do, network installation through someone and audio/video with someone else and finally bring in the C4 dealer?

Your network guy will set up your network with basic settings.

Then your AV guy will install your sonos, and you'll have network loops because network guy likely  didn't use RSTP, so he'll burn time reconfiguring it again, or, just tell you to speak to network guy

Then the integrator will come in. AV guy probably installed devices with no home automation support.. And, they'll likely need to configure the network again too, and might not be able to control things. If Network guy went overboard, you might have VLAN's everywhere causing other issues, or he might have optimised things for throughput on wifi, on a way that doesn't work.

I used to be subcontracted to many jobs. Its ok if you have a REALLY good working relationship with the rest of the workers, because then you can provide a solution which works for everyone and we collaborate well. But, having 3 different contractors guarantees lots of overheads, and lots of problems (especially if network guy is overly protective, and won't give you access).

That being said, a good AV integrator should be well trained on all of this stuff, including networking. And if they need extra people, they have people they work with well.

Otherwise, if  things go to crap, you'll also have trouble getting it fixed if its a grey area

Great. Thanks @Andrew luecke This is super helpful and reinforces my search for SEA based C4 person who sort of does it all. Maybe much easier to manage and hopefully cost effective. I guess we aren't supposed to talk $$ but it would have been so helpful to get some idea on what these things cost typically. Or what am I even going to negotiate on. Anyways, I hope some SEA installer is even reading these ;-

1 hour ago, iaudio said:

Great. Thanks @Andrew luecke This is super helpful and reinforces my search for SEA based C4 person who sort of does it all. Maybe much easier to manage and hopefully cost effective. I guess we aren't supposed to talk $$ but it would have been so helpful to get some idea on what these things cost typically. Or what am I even going to negotiate on. Anyways, I hope some SEA installer is even reading these ;-

Well. There are some good online ones too, who can at least design the system properly.. The most important thing is that its designed by the Integrator at a minimum. But ideally, everything is managed by one party (although, generally, the integrator imho should also at least set up the network too).

Cheap rates doesn't always mean cost effective, as more expensive installers can charge more sometimes, because they avoid pitfalls and are a lot more efficient (like Sonos + Network loops). They may also sometimes quote more because of experience (like using Managed switches for EVERY switch on the network, whereas a newbie, might try to win the job regardless, and use unmanaged gear thinking its the same).

But similarly, it doesn't mean cheap resellers aren't good either.

Finally, keep in mind, I've come across a lot of lower-end resellers who are excellent (despite not being platinum).  Reviews and referrals by others can be important too

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.