C4 Forums | Control4

Alexa Voice - Room Audio

My "personalized" list of Amazon Alexa Voice Commands for Control4 shows Scenes, Lights, & Rooms categories.  My issue is with Rooms.  All the commands (off, mute, unmute, volume up, volume down, etc) work EXCEPT Alexa, turn on ROOM NAME.  I have to manually turn on the room audio from phone / iPad, etc.  Same issue for all rooms.   

Also,  Is there an Alexa voice command to initiate music sources?  Pandora, SiriusXM, etc. ?  "ALEXA PLAY Control4 Pandora" for example

You can create custom "Voice Scenes" in either When/Then online or through HE. You can use whatever phrase you want, but it is tied to "Turn On" and "Turn Off." So, you would set up a Voice Scene to "Turn on Pandora" and then program it to turn on your desired Pandora playlist or station. 

Here is a screenshot of similar programming from When/Then for The Pulse channel on SiriusXM. 

Screenshot 2024-01-01 at 1.44.18 PM.png

19 hours ago, BY96 said:

You can create custom "Voice Scenes" in either When/Then online or through HE. You can use whatever phrase you want, but it is tied to "Turn On" and "Turn Off." So, you would set up a Voice Scene to "Turn on Pandora" and then program it to turn on your desired Pandora playlist or station. 

Here is a screenshot of similar programming from When/Then for The Pulse channel on SiriusXM. 

Screenshot 2024-01-01 at 1.44.18 PM.png

Thanks that was very helpful.  I was able to get Pandora to play in the room selected.  However I tried to add another room and it worked BUT was playing a different song from the first room.   Is it possible to add multiple rooms?

Also looking in Composer HE 3.4.0 I can see the Alexa Voice Scene Events but cannot edit / add to the script.  Also do not see how to add an Event.  Please advise 

3 minutes ago, bill said:

Thanks that was very helpful.  I was able to get Pandora to play in the room selected.  However I tried to add another room and it worked BUT was playing a different song from the first room.   Is it possible to add multiple rooms?

Also looking in Composer HE 3.4.0 I can see the Alexa Voice Scene Events but cannot edit / add to the script.  Also do not see how to add an Event.  Please advise 

In When/Then, you can select "Add Actions" in the screenshot I posted and add the music to other rooms. I would assume they would all play the same thing if started together. 

As for the Voice Scenes not being available in HE, I have no idea, sorry. I am fully able to add or edit Voice Scenes there. I am sure someone else on the forum will know more. 

2 hours ago, bill said:

You add an event on the driver page in monitoring and you add the code (script) in programming under voice scenes after choosing the relevant voice scene.

12 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

You add an event on the driver page in monitoring and you add the code (script) in programming under voice scenes after choosing the relevant voice scene.

That makes sense. Maybe the OP was just not looking in the right place. Thanks for adding the clarity I missed. 

10 minutes ago, BY96 said:

That makes sense. Maybe the OP was just not looking in the right place. Thanks for adding the clarity I missed. 

23 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

ok let me try that!  Thanks

52 minutes ago, bill said:

image.thumb.png.05b1f39607fe0fca77135368ac36a02a.png

I did "Add Action" to get the above.  Yes it seems logical that it would play the same song in both rooms but not so. Any suggestions?  image.png.467c5dd24afcf26c0891c1d1a6487e3b.png

That is strange. Ultimately, @SpencerT is right, and the Room Control Driver is your best option. 

3 hours ago, SpencerT said:

Use the room control driver to join kitchen to the office session, or, under digital media, add kitchen to that session. 

I did the latter and that worked.  Thanks.

On 1/1/2024 at 5:05 PM, South Africa C4 user said:

And if you use Alexa routines on top of the above, you can get commands like “Alexa, play U2 in the bedroom” to work.

Now that I got the other working can you explain a bit more about how to do as you have suggested.  Currently Pandora will just play the last Station I used.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.