C4 Forums | Control4

Change reported iOS device name on online account

I had to re-install C4 on my iphone and post re-install, when I log into my account on customer.control4.com, I see my device name listed as "localhost" even though the device has a different name as far as iOS goes. My other devices on which C4 is installed show their correct iOS name.

How can I have the correct device name show up vs "localhost"?

image.thumb.png.c45dbaccb4ac981202a9e6950a1f7b57.png

Now this is an interesting question.  I have the same issue at one of my residences where one device mysteriously becomes “local host” and 1 or 2 devices that I have deleted still appear in the setup area for notifications (in my.control4.com)…

Edited by South Africa C4 user

8 hours ago, bnorman said:

@Nitin, I’ll investigate this tomorrow and get back to you. There was a spot in the old Settings where you could change your device name. I don’t think it currently exists in the new Settings.

Glad to hear you say that cause I do remember a place in the settings where I could change this and was wondering why I could not locate it anymore.

@Nitin @South Africa C4 user, up until now the iOS app has used the name you set for your iPhone or iPad (unless you changed it to something else in the app) to help identify devices on my.control4.com. I learned today that in iOS 17 Apple has shut this down and will only give you "localhost" if an app asks for the device name. That would explain why when you deleted and reinstalled the app, the name we had previously stored in the app was gone, and you suddenly started seeing "localhost". It also turns out the omission of "Device Name" as an app preference was intentional as we are going to be moving away from this in the future.

3 hours ago, bnorman said:

@Nitin @South Africa C4 user, up until now the iOS app has used the name you set for your iPhone or iPad (unless you changed it to something else in the app) to help identify devices on my.control4.com. I learned today that in iOS 17 Apple has shut this down and will only give you "localhost" if an app asks for the device name. That would explain why when you deleted and reinstalled the app, the name we had previously stored in the app was gone, and you suddenly started seeing "localhost". It also turns out the omission of "Device Name" as an app preference was intentional as we are going to be moving away from this in the future.

That is interesting! If users don’t have the ability to change the device name (within Control4) going forward it will make it very messy (especially for new installs in Apple households).

4 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

That is interesting! If users don’t have the ability to change the device name (within Control4) going forward it will make it very messy (especially for new installs in Apple households).

Agree 100%. If I don't know how to recognize my devices, how will I be able to assign/select notification preferences without a whole lot of trial and error?

@bnorman could you please take this feedback/question back to the product team and broker a response?

@Nitin @South Africa C4 user, in a future update we are going to have the default device name be your device model, "iPhone 15 Pro" as an example (this is how Android does it today). Likely in the same update we are going to add back the field to change your device since many households likely have multiples of the same model iPhone/iPad. I'll let you know when this happens and where exactly in the app you'll be able to find this relatively soon.

8 hours ago, bnorman said:

@Nitin @South Africa C4 user, in a future update we are going to have the default device name be your device model, "iPhone 15 Pro" as an example (this is how Android does it today). Likely in the same update we are going to add back the field to change your device since many households likely have multiples of the same model iPhone/iPad. I'll let you know when this happens and where exactly in the app you'll be able to find this relatively soon.

Fantastic, thank you!

• 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, bnorman said:

@Nitin, @South Africa C4 user device naming has been added as the top row in Preferences in the app update that is rolling out today.

IMG_5534.PNG

confirming that the feature works. I was able to rename my device on the app and the updated name showed up on customer.control4.com

@bnorman very much appreciate the fix and the follow-up!! 🙌