C4 Forums | Control4

Speaker White Noise

I have the model of amp prior to the release of Triad branded ones (forget the model #, its a 4 channel).  One of my zones is showing some issues where I get white noise when the music is turned off.

• If I remove the speaker wire to the amp, noise stops (duh)
  • I swapped RCA Cables (amp/matrix connection) and white noise stopped until I started up a music stream, listened to a song, and turned it off, now the white noise is back

Signs of an amp going bad?  Something in programming where the zone is just not shutting off?  Something with my Audio Matrix (Using Video Storm CMX audio matrix)?

find something that has rca outputs (preferably *gasp* something like a cd/dvd player), put amp feed into is vs coming out of matrix.

Start a music stream, leave dvd player off. Mark if no white noise? Turn dvd player on and play that cd,then stop but leave player on. No white noise? turn dvd player off. No white noise? Disconnect dvd player rca out No white noise?

That should tell you what ISNT the source of the hum at least

If hum persists through all of those, see if you can swap speaker cables temporarily (ie you know ensuite and kitchen swap them). Try playing the kitchen (which is now enuite) and turn off and the other way around If white noise is persistent in the same location speaker wire is picking up interference (or possible a bad speaker)

In all cases a quick dirty and cheap option to try is to get an rca groundloop isolator and put it in between the matrix and the amp. May or may not work but under 20 to order from amazon and free to return if it doesnt work 🙂

9 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

find something that has rca outputs (preferably *gasp* something like a cd/dvd player), put amp feed into is vs coming out of matrix.

Start a music stream, leave dvd player off. Mark if no white noise? Turn dvd player on and play that cd,then stop but leave player on. No white noise? turn dvd player off. No white noise? Disconnect dvd player rca out No white noise?

If hum persists through all of those, see if you can swap speaker cables temporarily (ie you know ensuite and kitchen swap them). Try playing the kitchen (which is now enuite) and turn off and the other way around If white noise is persistent in the same location speaker wire is picking up interference (or possible a bad speaker)

In all cases a quick dirty and cheap option to try is to get an rca groundloop isolator and put it in between the matrix and the amp. May or may not work but under 20 to order from amazon and free to return if it doesnt work 🙂

got some homework tonight after work - thanks!

2 hours ago, Cyknight said:

https://www.amazon.com/rca-ground-loop-isolator/s?k=rca+ground+loop+isolator

any particular kind?  some have cables off each end (1 male, 1 female), others have female inputs on one end and male cables on the other....I guess they all accomplish the same task?  this would sit between the matrix and amp?

7 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

https://www.amazon.com/rca-ground-loop-isolator/s?k=rca+ground+loop+isolator

any particular kind?  some have cables off each end (1 male, 1 female), others have female inputs on one end and male cables on the other....I guess they all accomplish the same task?  this would sit between the matrix and amp?

Exactly that, something that has female in and male leads out would be super simple to insert, and yes between matrix and amp.

To be clear, I'm in no way guaranteeing it'll work, but it's simple (and cheap) to try for yourself.

I'd go with a cheap one: sincerely doubt paying 4 times the amount will make any difference at all.

16 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Exactly that, something that has female in and male leads out would be super simple to insert, and yes between matrix and amp.

To be clear, I'm in no way guaranteeing it'll work, but it's simple (and cheap) to try for yourself.

I'd go with a cheap one: sincerely doubt paying 4 times the amount will make any difference at all.

got one of those ground loop things - it at least lessens the white noise so when you walk by you do not hear it, but if you put your ear up to the speaker, it is still there...I turned the input sensitivity knob down to ~30% (Was up to about 60%) and that made no difference either

2 hours ago, eggzlot said:

got one of those ground loop things - it at least lessens the white noise so when you walk by you do not hear it, but if you put your ear up to the speaker, it is still there...I turned the input sensitivity knob down to ~30% (Was up to about 60%) and that made no difference either

I'd try the speaker output swap then (could even swap left right if it's clearly in one not the other, but different zone is best) - if groundloop lessens but doesn't eliminate, chances are it's a bad speaker or a speakerline picking up interference.

47 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

I'd try the speaker output swap then (could even swap left right if it's clearly in one not the other, but different zone is best) - if groundloop lessens but doesn't eliminate, chances are it's a bad speaker or a speakerline picking up interference.

ill play around later - im guessing its not a bad speaker as both speakers are having the same issue, so maybe picking up some interference somewhere.  I have an open channel on another c4 amp so I am going to move the zone there for now and see what happens.  if i still get the white noise I guess its new interference but thats odd because in 10 years no much (if anything) as changed and never had interference in this area before

Just now, eggzlot said:

ill play around later - im guessing its not a bad speaker as both speakers are having the same issue, so maybe picking up some interference somewhere.  I have an open channel on another c4 amp so I am going to move the zone there for now and see what happens.  if i still get the white noise I guess its new interference but thats odd because in 10 years no much (if anything) as changed and never had interference in this area before

Didn't realize it was both speakers, though you meant only one.

True it can be odd to get interference all of a sudden, but it may not require a big change to cause it so don't rule it out. It could be a ceiling fan motor running on a powerline running close to those speaker wires that was fine for 10 years but the motor is aging - it could be the apnea machine you started using (and it was supposed to HELP with the noise....)

Yes those are two real life examples (the fan is arguably even more ironic than the apnea machine as the fan was on in the bedroom above the master and was on not to cool but to MAKE white noise)

Of course matrix OR amp issues are not eliminated as a possibility yet.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.