C4 Forums | Control4

Distant Outdoor Lights

Any ideas on best practice for lights that are a distance away? These are for dock lights that are approximately 250ft down the hill on the dock. Wifi or zigbee extender, run ethernet cable, hue or control4 or other solution?

If you dont have a cat5 available. ethernet over power line adapters and a ca-1 for zigbee. or hue bridge

I have a couple Lutron Pico remotes line of sight around 150-175ft to  workshop flood lights, they work great

To be clear, Hue by itself won't reach the distance either, you'd need to get that bridge or indeed a CA1 closer to the gate, of use a wifi implementation if you can get a reliable wifi signal out there. (I suppose you COULD run a CA1 wireless for it if lines are not available by the way)

I was thinking of maybe burying electrical wire up much of the path and using hue bulbs and a second bridge attached at the back of the house.  The path starts about 50ft from the house, so the first bulb and subsequent going down path should act as extenders, correct? The CA1 wireless is an option to if pathway lighting is not done.