C4 Forums | Control4

Rooms with a lot of switches?

tilimil

Does anyone have any unique solutions to minimize clutter in rooms with a lot of switches? Someone had suggested putting all the kitchen switches in the pantry and then just put a 6 button in the kitchen to control each of the light switches. Are there any other option along these lines that anyone would suggest? Any issues you can foresee with this setup?

Just make sure zigbee coverage is sufficient with the mesh, and make sure you aren't going over the de-rated load limits (every time you add a dimmer or switch in a gang and break off a tab, it lowers the maximum number of watts for each dimmer individually).

I'm remodeling our house right now and we're having the electricians do the same thing. If we're adding lights, we try and install them where they're not seen and then just provide power for the 6-button. Also, we're getting rid of banks of 3-way switches (that don't control the load) by replacing the bank with a 6-button. Just make sure that you have the loads controlled by a c4 dimmer or c4 switch. Also, as Cody said, you've got have zigbee coverage.

tum

The main negative I could think of is resale. What if the buyer doesn't want control4, now they have to go to the pantry to turn on any kitchen lights.

Abosoutely! If you are designing solely for C4, you will be sorry. I just completed construction of a $2M property and I can't risk no re-sale based on that. Elecrical was installed as stand-alone and 2 weeks later revamped for C4. I did not care about the cost of "extra" wiring- I cannot tell what the future will bring.

You should definitely design the house for ease of use without control 4 or any automated system.

A six button keypad can be a bit awkward for lighting control in my opinion. The buttons are small and don't allow for a quick on and off that is important. Especially when you are fumbling around in the dark, you want an easy on off switch.

Three button keypads are a better size in my opinion for lighting control, but two button keypads are my preferred. I like the 6 button keypads for more detailed tasks, like turning on the TV, fireplace, etc.

Lighting control is very common is upper end houses and is included in virtually every home I've been in over 3+ million. The only time I haven't seen anything in a 3+ million dollar home is when it's spec built and the builder is tight at the end. Otherwise you end up with 4-6 gang plates with switches scattered all over the house. Lots of wall clutter and wall acne.

Many of the these homes will have multiple HVAC units, large security partitions, etc, so simplifying the operation of the entire home is quite a selling benefit if you have a good real estate agent.

There is nothing wrong with using a 3/6 button KP and hiding the switches in a nearby closet. Just make sure to label the buttons (you would be amazed how often this doesn't happen) and put the most commonly used lights at the top of the KP. Keeping the order and use of buttons on the keypads consistent makes 1 KP entrance much easier to use.

Just make sure zigbee coverage is sufficient with the mesh, and make sure you aren't going over the de-rated load limits (every time you add a dimmer or switch in a gang and break off a tab, it lowers the maximum number of watts for each dimmer individually).

Is this an electrical code thing?

Just make sure zigbee coverage is sufficient with the mesh' date=' and make sure you aren't going over the de-rated load limits (every time you add a dimmer or switch in a gang and break off a tab, it lowers the maximum number of watts for each dimmer individually).[/quote']

No. It is an engineering/thermodynamic thing.

The dimmer needs to dissipate heat and has an aluminum frame. The frame is the correct size to fit one dimmer in a single gang box and dissipate 1000 watts of power/heat. If you want to fix 2 dimmers in a 2 gang box they will not fit unless you break off parts of the aluminum frame (this is by design). When you break off the tabs the dimmer can't dissipate as much heat so the rated load goes down.

Edit: Typo

Just make sure zigbee coverage is sufficient with the mesh' date=' and make sure you aren't going over the de-rated load limits (every time you add a dimmer or switch in a gang and break off a tab, it lowers the maximum number of watts for each dimmer individually).[/quote']

No. It is an engineering/thermodynamic thing.

The dimmer needs to dissipate heat and has an aluminum frame. The frame is the correct size to fir one dimmer in a single gang box and fisipate 1000 watts of power/heat. If you want to fix 2 dimmers in a 2 gang box they will not fit unless you break off parts of the aluminum frame (this is by design). When you break off the tabs the dimmer can't dissipate as much heat so the rated load goes down.

gotchya, thanks for help there.

Archived