C4 Forums | Control4

Just Add Power- Has anyone set this up yet?

Thank you for the feedback. That's too bad. Still, I infer you are pleased with the IP networking of HDMI in the general case, and are experiencing good result. I will keep an eye on the topic with much interest and sit back to listen.

yes its amazing product just not meant for an ultra high end display

ok

you have 5 HDMI SOURCES so you have 5 HDMI TRANSMITTERS

you have 10 HDMI TVS so you have 10 HDMI RECEIVERS

PURCHASE AN ADDITIONAL 5 RECEIVERS TO MATCH THE TRANSMITTERS. They will guarantee instant seamless switching at all times.

I think you confused trasmitters and receivers here.

You meant:

PURCHASE AN ADDITIONAL 5 TRANSMITTERS TO MATCH THE RECEIVERS' date=' right?[/quote']

NO... you purchase 5 additional RECEIVERS that will hop onto each vlan and talk to the transmitters in the rack. The receivers will also sit in the rack and simply have a cat5 to them no hdmi cable

So you would have 15 receivers and 5 transmitters?

What Kevin is suggesting is a solution to the "problem" that sometimes you don't get instant seamless switching. What happens in the real world is the end user gets spoiled with how fast the Just Add Power devices switch between live sources (i.e. JAP Transmitters that are already connected to another Receiver). When they select an idle source, the 10-15 seconds it takes for the HDMI device to turn ON the HDMI port seems like an eternity. A creative installer in the UK was the first to come up with the idea to place an extra JAP Receiver on the LAN that is dedicated to the JAP Transmitter (no screen is attached to the extra Receiver). This keeps the HDMI port live, so the instant seamless switching happens every time with every source. Yes, this increases the cost of the installation, but some users are willing to pay for the luxury.

I have to wonder how such a demanding user would feel about all the other legacy HDMI matrix solutions on the market that have a several second lag between every source change? It is my understanding that most of them also lock up every screen in the house to renegotiate EDID. That would drive me crazy!

• 4 weeks later...
What Kevin is suggesting is a solution to the "problem" that sometimes you don't get instant seamless switching. What happens in the real world is the end user gets spoiled with how fast the Just Add Power devices switch between live sources (i.e. JAP Transmitters that are already connected to another Receiver). When they select an idle source, the 10-15 seconds it takes for the HDMI device to turn ON the HDMI port seems like an eternity. A creative installer in the UK was the first to come up with the idea to place an extra JAP Receiver on the LAN that is dedicated to the JAP Transmitter (no screen is attached to the extra Receiver). This keeps the HDMI port live, so the instant seamless switching happens every time with every source. Yes, this increases the cost of the installation, but some users are willing to pay for the luxury.

I have to wonder how such a demanding user would feel about all the other legacy HDMI matrix solutions on the market that have a several second lag between every source change? It is my understanding that most of them also lock up every screen in the house to renegotiate EDID. That would drive me crazy!

What is meant by an "idle" source? "It takes 10-15 seconds it takes for the HDMI device to turn ON the HDMI port..." What does this mean? Is the source off, or is the source on, but just not "connected" (in an to a JAP reciever?

There are 2 pieces to the "idle source" concept:

1) For practically all HDMI sources, the HDMI port is turned off if the HDCP key handshake stops happening. You can experience this yourself with a regular blu-ray player. Unplug the the HDMI cable, and wait about 15 seconds (enough time for the HDCP violation to be confirmed). Then plug the HDMI cable back into the blu-ray player and count how many seconds before the HDMI port starts showing video again.

2) The JAP Transmitter stops sending the multicast on the LAN when there are no Receivers attached. When a Receiver comes onto the LAN, the Transmitter and Reciever go through the initial handshaking to turn on the multicast, which takes a few seconds.

Ed (or others)

In relation to JAP/Control 4, I'm trying to get my head around how it works at the switch level.

1. How does control 4 driver talk to the switch at layer 1&2 etc... (eg. standard cisco rs232/ console cable or Ethernet/tcp/telnet) ?

2. What cmds does the driver send? I'm guessing from what I've read it is standard ios cmds to change the running config, eg changing the multi-cast address on a port to list to the source you are interested in?

3. Are you able to post a sample cisco ios switch config for use with your product?

1) All of the current Control4 drivers for implementing Just Add Power's HDMI over IP solution are RS232 based. This includes the original Cisco example, and the greatly improved Dell driver available through www.blackwiredesigns.com . While there have been talks of an IP/SNMP based driver, it has not been published.

2) The C4 drivers send standard IOS commands to the console port CLI.

3) You can download the example Cisco IOS driver for C4, along with some switch configuration advise at http://c4central.com/2009/10/13/breaking-news-first-driver-for-just-add-power-hdmi-over-ip-available-for-download/ . If you purchase the lower cost Dell switch through Blackwire, it is pre-configured to work with the C4 driver.

• 2 weeks later...

The Power over Ethernet Receiver for HDMI over IP has been posted at www.justaddpower.com. The product details are online at http://www.justaddpower.com/Projector-Connector%E2%84%A2-CAT5-Extenders/97-HDMI-over-IP-Power-over-Ethernet-Receiver/flypage.tpl.html . Dealers can pre-order their PoE Receivers through Blackwire Designs. They should be able to start shipping at the end of the month, and possibly much sooner. The backorders for Rackmount Transmitters should be filled the first week of April.

FYI, the PoE Receiver can be installed as a Class 2 PoE device, as it only draws 6 watts. This makes the HDMI over IP solution very "green".

Now all you need is to send the IR the other way...

I thought that's what Control4 is for!

I requires another wire though. If you're going to pass IR, pass it the correct way. Then it can truly be done over 1 cat5.

• 2 months later...
1) All of the current Control4 drivers for implementing Just Add Power's HDMI over IP solution are RS232 based. This includes the original Cisco example, and the greatly improved Dell driver available through www.blackwiredesigns.com . While there have been talks of an IP/SNMP based driver, it has not been published.

2) The C4 drivers send standard IOS commands to the console port CLI.

3) You can download the example Cisco IOS driver for C4, along with some switch configuration advise at http://c4central.com/2009/10/13/breaking-news-first-driver-for-just-add-power-hdmi-over-ip-available-for-download/ . If you purchase the lower cost Dell switch through Blackwire, it is pre-configured to work with the C4 driver.

Ed - The example Cisco IOS Driver for C4 at http://c4central.com/2009/10/13/breaking-news-first-driver-for-just-add-power-hdmi-over-ip-available-for-download/ is broken

Can you repost, or send it to me?

Thanks

Trevor

Archived