C4 Forums | Control4

Z-Wave vs Zigbee Kwikset Lock

We currently use Yale C4 Zigbee locks on all our doors. We are about to replace our front door, and, for aesthetic reasons, we decided to go with the Kwikset 910 in Antique Bronze.  It turned out that C4 doesn't offer the antique bronze color for that lock, so my dealer suggested buying the antique bronze Z-Wave version from Home Depot and then switching out the Z-Wave card for a C4 Zigbee card designed for that lock model.  

However, I just noticed that there seems to be a native C4 driver for the Z-wave version of the Kwikset 910 lock.  Is there actually any good reason to switch out the existing card for a Zigbee one, or can we just stick with the Z-wave version?  I ask because we've had GE Z-Wave in-wall electrical outlet receptacles integrated into C4 for almost a decade, and they have been absolutely 100% bulletproof. (We have the USB Z-wave dongle plugged into an EA-1.) Would z-wave locks be any less reliable?

Thanks!

Distance on both can be a problem. C4 is already utilizing the zigbee and if you have light switches and/or keypads (which are zigbee repeaters) around the home then your zigbee coverage is going to be larger and more reliable then 1-2 zwave devices!

It turns out the Kwikset lock won't fit our new front door, because the door is 2 1/4" thick and the Kwikset supports a maximum door width of 2".  Does anyone have ideas for how to find a lock that would fit a door this thick but still be capable of integration with C4?

14 minutes ago, DLite said:

It turns out the Kwikset lock won't fit our new front door, because the door is 2 1/4" thick and the Kwikset supports a maximum door width of 2".  Does anyone have ideas for how to find a lock that would fit a door this thick but still be capable of integration with C4?

To answer my own question: Kwikset has a thick door kit that their customer service will mail out on request.  Fingers crossed that it works!