C4 Forums | Control4

Can't register any devices.

i am running composer and director 1.7, for some reason i cant register my remote v1, dimmers, and thermostat. I noticed that on system manager i see zserver disabled and zserver2 enabled. Is this the reason why i cant register my devices. Can someone please help

'

the controller is 1.7 and the director is 1.7, I can't find the setting to enable zserver, it only shows zserver2 enabled, is there suppose to a place where i can enable zserver and disable zserver2

Log into the dealer knowledge base, I think there are some documents in the dealer KB that address this. You could also just do a USB restore to set the system back to a known working state. As a last resort you could call C4 tech support.

First off, thanks for all the help. I am currently not a dealer, so i can't log in to the knowledge base. As for the usb restore, I don't have access to that. If anyone can help, let me know.

It looks like a USB restore is really what you need...

Where did you get this unit? Have you had it working at any point in time?

A related question out of matter of interest ...

Can a USB Restore go back in versions if you have not gone to Zigbee Pro (eg 1.7.4 to 1.7.2)?

Secondly, I think I read if you are on version 1.8 Zigbee Pro you cannot go back to 1.7. Does that only apply to switches etc.. or the controller as well?

You can roll the firmware back, that's no problem. The only time it is a problem is if you try and go from zigbee pro back to embernet. There's actually an unsupported method that will supposedly take a controller from zigbee pro back to embernet, but it is unsupported and I've never personally done this. The other devices stay on zigbee pro after the update...it is a one way deal.

Ryan - I think I remember you writing somewhere that one should add all embernet devices into a project on pre 1.8 software then upgrade to 1.8+

I have a bunch of 1.7 dimmers that I cannot deploy until I build the house, but have a prestaged rack of other devices.

Does this mean I should not upgrade to 1.8 until I've built and have all embernet devices loaded into a project - OR - can I have my dealer upgrade to 1.8 (I'll be his first at this stage) then add embernet devices down the track?

It's recommended to have all the devices in the project before upgrading mainly because it makes it easier, since devices that are already identified into the project will upgrade more or less automatically. That is, after they're in mini-app mode, you don't have to re-identify them, just join them to the Pro network.

If you do them after the fact, you have to identify them, as well as manually add them to the upgrade.

RyanE

anyone know where i can get the usb restore software for my hc-300

Yes I do.

hey Alan' date=' I have been looking for that,

Please pm me

:D:D[/quote']

I try to stay out of the Dealer vs DIY arguments, but this kind of "ïn-gang" humour is disappointing to me....

If it makes you feel big and special to belittle others inexperience and make fun of them, then it may be time for a little self reflection.

Once again we have a serious and genuine person asking a serious, albeit uninformed question.

They are here to get informed and get help.

Instead of making smart remarks at their expense, why don't you post your elitist humour in the dealer forum along with all your other secret dealer business...

I'm starting to question whether a mixed forum of dealers and users makes sense.

I'd certainly like to see a place owners can ask questions without being shamed or ridiculed at every turn.

Ok! view stated - Now off my soap box.

• 2 months later...

I ran into this same problem, and found this thread looking for an answer - which I did not find. What I did to correct this, was in Composer Pro go to System Design -> Home Controller. Click "Edit ZigBee Configuration", then setup the new ZigBee network. Then you need to go to Connections, the the Network tab at the top of the page. Click your Home Controller, then Identify. You will press the Link button on the front of your HC, then the address will populate in the box provided. You then hit Close, then wait a few seconds and the ZigBee network will start - enabling ZServer.

The unsupported back-to-embernet method does not work... completely... It will roll everything back except for the actual front panel radios, which you might need. I tried this on a HC200 and everything looked hunky dory as far as the unsupported method directions went, but the radios never worked again and were stuck in ZP apparently

Archived