C4 Forums | Control4

Wireless Outlet switch...

jroza1

Mini app is in the update from Embernet to Zigbee (1.8.2). Its the netherworld between the two where the switch needs to join the secure mesh and complete the update. From what I understand (and the pros can correct me if I am in error), the switches and dimmers do not have enough memory to complete the update in a single operation. The remedy was to do one stage of the update which removes the old Firmware and installs a mini app that serves to identify the device to the new zigbee mesh to allow the new firmware to be installed.

Its taken some experimentation to get all of my stuff to work, but its working now.

Josh

I am waiting for some of the nicer baldwin sets and a price drop would be nice. $350 is really steep.

I learned a lot during the upgrade and it should make things pretty easy when my new dimmers arrive.

Josh

I am putting this lock on my mud room door, I certainly wouldn't put it on the front door the way it looks now.

When the nicer Baldwin locks come out I will hopefully get one for the front door...one without the push buttons.

Oh yeah, and I agree that $350 is highway robbery. You can buy the same lock, without the zigbee card, for $120 at Home Depot.

It even has the slot where the zigbee card slides in. You can't convince me that the zigbee card is worth $229. Sounds to me like someone just picked up about $228 on the zigbee option.

Sounds like we need to find a source for the zigbee cards... :) I'd love to do a few locks on my doors, but I don't see the value at $350, particularly if the locking hardware is nearly identical to the $120 locks at home depot.

Do you have a link to info about the Baldwin locks? I never considered anything on the front door as I wasn't aware of an option without the push buttons.

I like the SoHo Sectional...

Anybody here selling that one?

My current dead bolt on my door is just about dead. I have to push the bolt back in to operate the mechanism... but I don't want to buy a new one until I can get this one...

http://www.baldwinhardware.com/access_control_detail.aspx

Check out the ones labeled 3/4.

That would be what I am after.

Looks like a nice replacement.

I'm looking for a deadbolt that looks the same as any other deadbolt from the outside. I want to retain the look of my current lock from the outside but obtain integration with the control 4 system. I want to be able to lock and unlock the deadbolt, but I don't want the look of the push buttons.

I don't think the baldwin locks are out yet...the website makes it look as if they are not.

Hopefully they come out with one that is just a dead bolt, and doesn't include the buttons on the outside...it seems like they could easily enough...I just don't know if the demand is there.

I got my lock installed a few minutes ago, took about 10 minutes including re-keying it to use my existing keys. I also was slowed a tad bit by it being 1AM and the family sleeping...had to try and be quiet.

Now I just need to get updated to 1.8.2 so I can add it to the project!

awesome, Let us know how it goes... I am curious as to what programming can be done... can you set up different scenes based on the code used, i.e. my code lights the hallway, my office and the bedroom between 8am and 5pm, but outside of those hours the entry light and the tv room lights come on?

But if my wife uses her code it lights the kitchen and the sitting room?

jroza1, I will definitely check those things out. The lock installed in less than 10 minutes, and is working great however I haven't gotten updated to zigbee pro yet, so it isn't tied into my Control4 project at this time.

I hope to get updated sometime next week, before I go on vacation. I'll let you know once I can delve into it a little farther.

BTW, there is a known issue with the locks, that if you're not connected to a Pro mesh, the lock eats batteries.

Once the lock is identified in the Control4 project, etc., batteries should last from 6mo - 1yr, but until then, you can count on about 3 weeks.

It's being addressed by the manufacturer, but the currently shipping locks have this issue.

RyanE

Ryan,

I just installed one yesterday, but don't have my C4 equipment installed yet. Is there a bypass for the battery issue, like maybe pulling the Zigbee card? Speaking of, is the zigbee card a separately orderable part number through Control4 (orderable by a dealer, I mean)? I'd like to install ones on my remaining 2 outside doors, but buying the regular version from HomeDepot or online at around $99 each is more palatable right now than $350/each. Even if I end up having to buy the zigbee cards later for $229, that's preferable.

Thanks,

Steve

RyanE, I know the zigbee locks will churn through batteries while not connected, I hope to get the update done in the next week, so this isn't too big of a concern. If it is going to be any longer, I will just pull the zigbee card out.

spugh, the zigbee card installs in the lock much like a stick of RAM in a computer. I don't know how difficult getting the zigbee cards are, but I would think if you could find them they would be much less than $229 (the price diff between $120 at Home Depot and $349 for the ones with Zigbee card).

Dan,

Agreed. Just don't know if I will be able to find a source for them later, which is why I was asking if they are separately orderable through C4 as a last resort. Based on some other threads about getting some faulty units replaced by Kwikset, in one case they sent the bare lock out and claimed they didn't have the zigbee cards. They said the replacement card would have to be sent by C4. That leads me to believe that C4 is OEM'ing the cards to Kwikset and should have the individual cards at their disposal for sale to dealers. All speculation on my part... as usual :).

Steve

Archived