C4 Forums | Control4

Ceiling Projectors

I would be interested to know how others have integrated a ceiling projector with control4, I have a sony VPL-HW15 that is currently connected via typical component cabling and is ceiling mounted, it does have a serial port, so would it be wise to run a serial cable from the projector right to the HC-300, or is there another way because adding an IR to it might be awkward.

Or is there another way?

might be a silly question but if you run cat5 to the ceiling projector? how do you connect to the projector that does not have an ethernet port, I suppose a media player of some sort in between, but that would not control the on/off etc ?? am I correct?

You need a "DB9 male/female to RJ45 Modular" Adapter plugged into the serial port of your projector and the same adapter on the other end that attaches to the C4 controller. I have a Sony VPL-VW50 configured this way and everything works well with C4.

That's what I thought ms2bmw, this looks like a great implementation each connector is less than 5 bucks, than you I can run a hard wired connection back to the HC-300 in my wiring closet, eliminating IR all together. Only problem is I now have to open up the ceiling again, imagine the wifes face she loves watching movies but sometimes has a hard time when I decide to open up walls to run cable. But I am sure many people on this forum can relate..

IR actually works well with C4 since the user interface does not show the state of the device you are controlling. Also if the driver your using only supports the basic functionality of the device (i.e. turn on/off, select input, etc.) then its not worth the effort to use the serial interface.

interesting, I guess my thought is that if IR is line of sight does the emitter hence the actual projector need to be connected to the HC-300 via a wire.

for the ir signal to get from the controller to the projector on the ceiling?

excuse my lack of understanding but could someone explain the physical connectivity that is required.

with either IR or Serial?

Both IR and Serial require a wire ran to the device (unless you use an IR blaster). IR sends the commands to an IR bud attached to the device. Serial just sends serial commands over a serial cable. Both require a wire.

The Control4 handheld remotes do not output IR like a traditional remote.

You cannot simply point the sr250 at the projector and expect anything to happen.

A wire is required to connect a C4 controller's IR output to a flasher stuck to the projector.

Just use dolphin connectors...crimp them. You basically just cut an IR bud wire in half and "splice" the cat5 in between.

Any two wires will work for this, cat5 is just nice because it's cheap and you have six spare wires for future use.

Just use dolphin connectors...crimp them. You basically just cut an IR bud wire in half and "splice" the cat5 in between.

Any two wires will work for this, cat5 is just nice because it's cheap and you have six spare wires for future use.

What he said, I solder whenever possible, and if not I use crimp caps, or butt connectors(I install radios/alarms/remote starts on cars, so I always have these handy) Solder is the way to go for the best connection(IMO)

Dolphin connectors are not proper for anybody but someone on the clock. Do not use them if you are a HO doing your own work. As mentioned, dress leads, slip on the shrink, solder the leads military style and slide the shrink over your fine work. Ungar heat gun it and done. In the field i use butane torch from China- two dollar/xie xie.

Any two wires will work for this' date=' cat5 is just nice because it's cheap and you have six spare wires for future use.[/quote']

What he said, I solder whenever possible, and if not I use crimp caps, or butt connectors(I install radios/alarms/remote starts on cars, so I always have these handy) Solder is the way to go for the best connection(IMO)

Are you saying that you solder Cat-5/Cat-6 wire???? There might be a bit of difference when one is using the type of wire that you are using for "radios/alarms/remote starts on cars" and small gauge Cat5/Cat-6 wire that many people are using to wire a house. More often that not low voltage wiring in a home is Cat-5/Cat-6 solid conductor which might be a little difficult to solder.

Dolphin connectors are not proper for anybody but someone on the clock. Do not use them if you are a HO doing your own work. As mentioned, dress leads, slip on the shrink, solder the leads military style and slide the shrink over your fine work. Ungar heat gun it and done. In the field i use butane torch from China- two dollar/xie xie.

So you are using a solder connection on solid wire which in most cases is what is installed??

Archived