C4 Forums | Control4

Trying to add network storage for my MP3's.

I'm trying to get my system. (HC300. SR-250, lights.) to play back music from my computer over the network. I went under "system design", then under "my drivers", then added "Network File Storage driver" and set the location to where my music was on the computer and tried to conect, but i got a message saying "Unable to connect to the network share, Please verify the share information is correct". I have that folder shared in my computer settings and allowed the composer for my firewall. Any ideas? thanks

It was a bitch getting mine to do a share from Windows 7...so much so that I bagged it and bought a NAS.

I finally got it to work, but it wasn't easy finding the settings. I documented it in a thread here, but don't have time to find it now...it was in the troubleshooting section.

I would imagine Zone Alarm is probably creating a problem too...

Like I said, good luck. I hope you get it working.

I don't recommend wasting time trying to crack the windows 7 puzzle...

I have been through all the settings 6 ways from Sunday on two different windows 7 systems, and had no luck... I went with a Lacie Network Space 2 NAS and will never look back. 1TB for $220 (CAD) and it works perfect.

cheers,

Tom.

I didn't have any firewalls installed, pulled it out of the box and hooked it up...stock HP computer. The only program installed was AVG Free, Composer, MS Office and Adobe CS4.

At any rate, I got it to work...after I had ordered a NAS. NAS is the way to go anyways, like TRedhead suggested. I bought the ReadyNAS NV+.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a ReadyNas NV+ and I am trying to get access to my stored mp3's. I am connected but when I hit scan nothing happens. The Nas is in the system design and connected as the status is online. When I try to add the Itunes folder it scans them and seems to want to copy the files from some Y drive to the ip location of my Nas. Does this info make sense and any idea how to fix this. Is it really trying to copy?

I have an HC300 with a USB attached hard drive with about 400 cd's worth of mp3's on it. It is a Western Digital My Book edition USB hard drive with external power supply. Works great. I can connect to the My Book from any of my computers running, Windows7, Vista, or XP, to add music or files to share through out the network including the HC300 and C4.

Well it could be connected to either the router or the switch (shouldnt make a huge difference for the most part, but if you have a free spot on the router I would connect it there unless your switch is of higher quality and you have your main media endpoints on the switch as well).

Music is stored on the NAS, in a share named media. Share has correct permissions, as I can access it from any computer. NAS is connected directly to my Router. I could attach it to a near by switch if it would be better.

FYI if I try to connect with another computer on my network which has all the music imported in the itunes (music still on NAS) it seems to allow me to scan and SOME of the music. I would rather though it "look" directly to the NAS.

Archived