C4 Forums | Control4

7" Touchscreens stuck on "Loading Project" with 2.0.1

My dealer upgraded me to 2.0 about a month ago and then to 2.0.1 and for the biggest part I love the new OS. I am having an issue with a number of my 7" touchcreens locking up during the boot process. They have the big round Control4 logo and under that they either say "Loading Project" or "Loading UI". The touchscreens seem to be awake because the screen will dim in response to my nightly dimming commands. None of these touchscreens had any kind of problem before the 2.0 upgrade, they are all wired / POE. I have ten 7" touchscreens and more than half of them have had this issue at one time or another, one touchscreen was sent back to Control4 for repair but still does it. My dealer has been on the phone with Control4 a number of times and they say they haven't heard of that problem. Anyone hear of this issue and if so how to fix it.

I had a similar issue with one of my 10.5 inch V2 panels. It had a grey box that said that, but faintly in the background I could see the GUI and touchpanel was actually functional, it was just very hard to see what I was pressing due to the grey box that covered 85% of the screen.

I rebooted mine and it fixed the problem. Have you tried rebooting them?

I had this same problem last week with an HC1000 and a 7" screen. Called tech support and they told me they have not had this issue before. Now for some stupid reason my HC 1000 is asking for a password. This just started happening for no reason when I connect composer.

This one particular system that is kinda glitchy has an HC1000, HC300 and 7 HC200's in it. Running 2.0. I am pretty sure that the problem is 2.0. If I have time later in the week I might upgrade them to 2.0.2 and see if the system becomes more stable. One can only hope.

I have done a few other system with just HC300 or HC200 and they are just small basic system. They all seem to just work. :-)

I had this same problem last week with an HC1000 and a 7" screen. Called tech support and they told me they have not had this issue before. Now for some stupid reason my HC 1000 is asking for a password. This just started happening for no reason when I connect composer.

I had the identical problem in 2.0. Eventually had to perform a network / password reset on HC1000 by power cycle whileholding identify button until data LED illuminates. This fixed it. 7" TS would display password error message until reset sequence performed. Has not reocurred in 2.01. Also had the "loading project" symptom in 2.01 and resolved it with reboot.

I had the identical problem in 2.0. Eventually had to perform a network / password reset on HC1000 by power cycle whileholding identify button until data LED illuminates. This fixed it. 7" TS would display password error message until reset sequence performed. Has not reocurred in 2.01. Also had the "loading project" symptom in 2.01 and resolved it with reboot.

Thanks for the tip. I am due back to this house in the morning to fix this, update to to 2.0.2 and add like another 7 or 10 lighting events.

pretty basic question,

are tp's set with static ip?

I had issue not long ago that when tp's were booting up they would lock up on "c4 loading, please wait" white screen. Ip was automatic, tp's were connected to p/o switch and I was only resetting switch. Tp's were booting up at exact same time and I thing there was ip conflict. Never confirmed that it was ip conflict, but when I rebooted tp's one at the time they worked just fine. Now I have static ip set up and had no problems since.

Have had the same problem as the original poster, 2 touch screens, problems since the upgrade to 2.0, now running 2.0.2.. Have done a usb recovery of the 2 touch sceens. They worked ok on the recovered 1.8 version, but then upgraded again. They still get stuck on "loading ui" for 15 mins upon boot, after 15 mins they work ok. They randomly reboot themselves about twice per day, but because this process takes 15 mins it can be very inconvenient.

Did a recovery on the hc 1000 to rule this out as the problem, problem still occurs. Have sent one touch screen back to control4 for testing.

My TS are (and always have been) on static IPs. Just like Paulbirk my problem started with 2.0 and has gotten a little better with 2.0.2 . I have also noticed the TS rebooting every so often and sometimes they come back fine and sometimes they get hung up. I can reboot one or two at a time and they are okay, but if all (10) of them go at once, such as a power outage or refresh navigators, one or two will hang up. I think the problem is with the way that they all hit the HC1000 at once for data. It is really annoying when you walk up to one of your $$$ TS and it is locked up.

I upgraded my project 5 days ago from 2.0 to 2.0.2 and the system for the past five days has been rock solid. Now that I said this it will crash. LOL. I'm back here adding a bigger tv to one of the zones and adding two more audio zones to the project. My fingers are still crossed on this one.

Hi e92m32008,

When did you run this patch, and on which version of control software were the touch screens running? I'm hesitant to run the patch without control4 tech telling me to do so. My screens were only purchased recently, so shouldn't have an 8 month old bug.

Current situation is this:

Control4 replaced the TS we sent back, saying it was faulty. Upon identifying the new TS in the project, it also took 15 mins to boot up. So I removed it from the project and re-added it, identified it (something I had already done multiple times with the old TS), this time it seemed to resolve the 15min boot up problem. Perhaps there was some corruption left in the project from the faulty TS.

The TS is now running ok, reboots in 3 mins. Am just waiting to see if it still randomly reboots itself. Even if it only takes 3 mins to reboot, random reboots through the day are obviously not a good sign.

Thinking of USB recovering the TSs to V 1.8 and simply running like that for the medium term. Does anyone have any experience of Touch Screens running 1.8 connecting to an HC1000 running 2.0.x? Would I have any problems of the touch screens updating themselves?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey e92m32008,

Thanks for the info and the patch. Now that control4 tech in the UK have spoken to their US counterparts and given me a bit more info about the patch, and okayed its use, it seems like it should certainly do the job for me. I've just run the patch, no problems, so will give an update next week to say whether or not it has worked, i really hope i have good news.

Thanks again!

P

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So,

In summary

Have 2 touch screen in the project.

They were randomly restarting AND sometimes hanging for 15mins when restarting. The patch, which seems to have been removed from the forum, resolved the 15 mins part. But after 2 weeks restarting started again, but always taking only 2 mins to reboot, never 15.

We swapped one of the touch screens, but the problem continued.

Then, after a lot of testing and eliminations (cabling, DHCP, switches, project file, programming) we couldn't think what else it could be, so we swapped out the other original touch screen. We also put this touch screen in a test project.

The results found that not only was this touch screen faulty, but it had knock on effects on any other 7inch in wall touch screen on the same project as it. So all touch screens on the same project restart, but if we remove this faulty one from the project, the others suddenly work OK.

If we take our test project, that is working, and add the touch screen, touch screens that were working OK, suddenly start to restart too.

If we repeat the above 2 tests, but with a new infinity edge panel, not only is the infinity edge always stable, it makes the faulty touch screen stable too!

I'm not 100% on this yet, but 5 days of testing point to what I have outlined.

So, perhaps anyone experiencing similar problems, should try unplugging 1 touch screen at a time and see if all the others become stable. Perhaps.

I have two out of four TSs that randomly reboot. I have not examined the possibility of interaction though. It's a bitch to have to power-cycle a in-wall TS. The 2/3 button push doesn't always work in a "lock-up"condition.

Archived