C4 Forums | Control4

Need rack advice

Red

1. I don't know for sure on the depth, I could measure mine. It seems pretty close to square, so my guess would be that mine is a 20 inch, but I could be wrong.

2. It depends on whether or not you need it to rotate. The important thing is making sure the rear is accessible. If you can access the rear without rotating it, then don't get one that rotates. If you cannot access the rear without rotating it, then get one that rotates.

Another vote for 26" depth if you have the room. BTW - if you need the track stands, i have a couple of TS1022s that I would make you a deal on. I ended up needing the TS310s after I bought these. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Steve

Bigger is better. I went with the 26 inch deep rack. No real benefit from the front of the rack but I feel it gives more stability to the entire rack especially once it is filled. I have the 72u 26 inch slim 5 rack. Much easier to ship and assemble in place. Mine has every space (U) filled. One of the other benefits of the 26 inch rack is that you can mount items in the back as well. I have both of my switches and my router back there along with a few rack mounted switchable power strips. I wish I would have listened to my dealer and put in an additional half rack. Leave your self some room for future expansion.

I measured mine last night and it is 20 inches. Mine is also 72u I believe, and it is nearly full. I think a deeper rack would be better. This rack fits all my components depth wise, including the insanely deep 777ES, but I have a couple of switches mounted on the back and I was limited in where I could mount them due to depth, and additional six inches would have be nice. I mounted my switches behind my HC300's, which aren't very deep so that worked out okay.

I also agree with mercedes...leave yourself plenty of room.

I measured mine last night and it is 20 inches. Mine is also 72u I believe, and it is nearly full. I think a deeper rack would be better. This rack fits all my components depth wise, including the insanely deep 777ES, but I have a couple of switches mounted on the back and I was limited in where I could mount them due to depth, and additional six inches would have be nice. I mounted my switches behind my HC300's, which aren't very deep so that worked out okay.

I also agree with mercedes...leave yourself plenty of room.

Hi Dan

Would you mind taking a pic of it ( 72U ) I would be very interested to see what it looks like.?

Dan, the 36U is around 72" tall, is that what you mean perhaps? A 72U would be about 12 feet tall I believe.

OOPS! My bad. I misstated my rack which I think threw Dan off. The specs of my rack is:

Middle Atlantic Products : 5-43-26

43 Space (75-1/4") Gangable KD Rack Frame, 26" Deep, Slim (19-1/8") Outer Width, Black Finish

It is 43U not 72U. As my wife says, most guys say it is bigger than it really is. I guess she is right on this one.

Dan, the 36U is around 72" tall, is that what you mean perhaps? A 72U would be about 12 feet tall I believe.

Yeah, Mercedes through my off. I meant the rack is about 72" tall. I am 6' or 6'1" tall, and I need to stand on my tip-toes to see the top of the rack. It certainly isn't 12 feet tall...LOL.

I bought the 46u ASX rotating. If you go to middle atlantic's website, they have a custom configure tab where you can punch in your component model number at it tells you how many spaces it will take up. It will also give you the depth of your component. You will also have to buy shelves. Use the full depth vented ones for heavy components. Buy the short shelves if you have short components. This will leave maximum space for wire management. You can buy c4 rack mounts for your c4 components from c4. Also, if you plan on putting it in a cabinet, like the ready to build ones at Ikea other places, most are standardized. I have my switch, cable modem and airport extreme in the upper cabinet. The 46u rack fits in the lower one. When planning my rack I took lined paper and cut out the components. For example, my receiver took 5 spaces so I drew a box across 5 lines. Then I could sort my components. It worked for me.

Archived