C4 Forums | Control4

Monoprice 4x4 switch queston

Letran

I have been planning to buy this switch. One of the 4 LCD TVs will be connected to a 7.1 receiver Yamaha HTR-6290. I'm a little confused how I should be connecting things

TV1 <--> 7.1 Receiver <--->4x4 Switch<----> Sony777

TV2 <------------------------->4x4 Switch<----> Netgear EVA9100

TV3 <------------------------->4x4 Switch<----> Cable PVR

TV4 <------------------------->4x4 Switch<----> PS3

My concern of course is being able to hear the 7.1 or 5.1 sound

Is it is just a simple as using one the HDMI inputs from the receiver and the output to the TV.

The existing Monoprice driver and the Yamaha receiver driver will be able to work together I'm ot sure if they even have to.

I'm sure somebody has a similar setup. Any thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

Got my cables & switch yesterday. Without fail as soon as I start installing, I realized that I did not account for few cables I should've ordered. Now it will take another 7 days. Oh well.

Question:

Is there any known issues having the COP or navigator on a video switch?

I use the same setup. Works very nicely. Get the best cables you can afford from Monoprice.

1. I got video but no sound ???? Video in all sources work but none have sound. Switches display good enough but no sound. Not so sure why. SnapAV is looking good just about now. But I really have not done enough troubleshooting.

2. Tip for anybody doing the same thing. I got the thickest for my 75 foot runs. 22awg(6062) is too thick hard to manuevere. I've also got the 75ft 26awg (2802) good size but mono-directional.

3. I haven't had the chance to use any of the HDMI ext etc. but I'll post back here my progress.

Anyone have any ideas on the sound problems?

Let me make sure I understand. I'm currently using 75ft direct hdmi cable with built in equilizers. I did this to avoid problems with the baluns. But are saying that if I use them instead I should solve my no sound problem.

Bakuns will work better than this long runs HDMI cables?? Please clarify?

I never hear anyone talk about the edid problem with these entry level switches. Doesn't the set up like the one above force the audio and video to the lowest supported format when a source is being viewed on more than one output? Isn't this a deal breaker for anyone? Before I realized this, I was planning on the monoprice myself. Certainly not now...

@Letran - I believe so. This is what I gathered from the forums. I'm not sure if this is still the case. And I'm no expert but most of my wiring is CAT5 all over my house. I started with component baluns and have now switched to HDMI. CAT5 was definitely a better option in my situation. I still have component baluns that I use for the HCs.

@bhadams - Never bothered me so far or I haven't noticed the difference. My reason behind getting a switch was to view my sources in any location vs viewing the same source in multiple locations at the same time anyway.

I never hear anyone talk about the edid problem with these entry level switches. Doesn't the set up like the one above force the audio and video to the lowest supported format when a source is being viewed on more than one output? Isn't this a deal breaker for anyone? Before I realized this, I was planning on the monoprice myself. Certainly not now...

I'm not sure if this is the case. My LCD TV tells me the Input#, source & format

When I am playing Netgear (YouTube) it tells me 480p

When I am playing HD Cable it tells me 1080i

When I am playing Sony BD Player it tells me 1080p

When I am playing Sony 777 it tells me 480i (this is my problem only video still no sound)

The video quality is noticeably Best in the BD, Good in HD cable and OK with Sony 777 & Netgear (i was playing YouTube, no DVD files yet)

For testing purposes I set the switch below:

TV1 (10ft 26awg HDMI cable) <--->4x4 Switch <-> (75ft 26awg HDMI cable)<--> 7.1 Receiver <--> Sony777

TV2 (75 ft 22awg HDMI cable) <--->4x4 Switch<-> (10ft 26awg HDMI cable) <-----------------------> Netgear EVA9100

TV3 (75ft 22awg HDMI cable) <--->4x4 Switch<-> (10ft 26awg HDMI cable)<-------------------------> HD Cable PVR

-----(will be an HDMI extendr) <--->4x4 Switch<-> (10ft 26awg HDMI cable) <-----------------------> Sony BD plyer

My conclusion SO FAR,

1. the direct cables work even at 75ft. good cables

2. DVI to HDMI adapter did not work (came with an older LCD TV) did not have a direct HDMI input

3. Monoprice switch for $165 an amazing value and good TEMPORARY video switch solution

4. Not sure how I sould connect the Sony 777ES to the Yamaha HTR6290 so I can get sound. This is where I need some help.

Sony777 is connected to the Yamaha via component & digital optical out, (I also tried S-Video & Video Left & Right Line Out)

If I connect the Yamaha directly to the TV still no sound from the TV but my speakers will work 7.1 but not from TV. So it is not a Monoprice switchor cable issue it is a connection issue.

Any ideas?

Anybody that owns a Sony 777ES that could tell how I could get the sound out to a TV or a video switch.

Sound will come out of the speakers connected to the receiver but not from the TV itself video shows fine but no sound.

Sony 777ES --> Component RGB --> Yamaha HTR6290 --> HDMI Out > 4x4 Switch <-- HDMI Output <-- LCD TV

--> S-Video

--> Line Out L&R

--> Digital Optical Audio

Really appreciate it

Anybody that owns a Sony 777ES that could tell how I could get the sound out to a TV or a video switch.

Sound will come out of the speakers connected to the receiver but not from the TV itself video shows fine but no sound.

Sony 777ES --> Component RGB --> Yamaha HTR6290 --> HDMI Out > 4x4 Switch <-- HDMI Output <-- LCD TV

--> S-Video

--> Line Out L&R

--> Digital Optical Audio

Really appreciate it

Since the 777 is component and your TVes are hooked up HDMI the HTR6290 has to up convert the component to HDMI. The HTR6290 must also be able to up convert the audio from the 777 and send it over the HDMI. The HTR6290 needs to know what input to get the audio from the 777 and needs to be able to up convert it and send it over the HDMI. The most likely problem is that the HTR6290 is not configured correctly.

Archived