C4 Forums | Control4

Sensors: ContactsMotion, Water, Wired, Wireless

Letran

Need some help in how to go about adding 8 CA wireless motion sensors, 5 wired motions, 12 wired/wireless water sensors (with shut off valve from WaterCop or alternative)

I have 2 HC300 and 1 HC200. My dealer tells me that adding an ELK security panel will be the best way to go (as oppose to an I/O extender) I currently have a DSC panel but its full. not sure if it is expandable. And I'm not sure if the security monitoring company will let me fool around with their setup.

I'm curious how the members here go about adding these sensors and contacts and integrating it with C4.

Thanks in advance.

If you go wireless with everything, the Card Access pieces are zigbee... so you dont need a panel or an i/o extender. This is assuming you have other zigbee pieces that can be repeaters such as lighting, keypads, thermostats, etc. because the zigbee radios on the controllers have only 8 slots (24 total slots in your project if all have zigbee radios on) and it wont work well otherwise (one node will always be hanging). Anyway, ask your dealer to explain why he wants to use the Elk panel.

As the dealer explained. Having only 2 HC300 and 1 HC200 will not be enough to connect all the motion sensors and water contacts. So I would need to buy a panel or an I/O extender to connect all the sensors and contacts. But since the ELK panel is more usefull and expandable. He would suggest an ELK panel over the I/O extender.

But then now you are saying if I use all wireless I wouldn't need either I'll just have to buy wireless motions

CA wireless motions is twice the price of wired common motions so for the difference in cost I might as well add a panel or an I/O extender to the project. Does that make sense. How would one (cost effectively) go about adding:

8 CA wireless motion sensors

5 wired motions

8 wireless water sensors (with shut off valve from WaterCop or alternative)

4 wired water sensor

4 contacts/relays

Thanks,

PS. as I understand 8 radio slots per controller(HC300/HC200) times 3 is 24 wireless slots

This whole "8 radio slots per controller" is not making sense to me. I can tell you each controller can handle more than 8 devices.

The biggest system I've seen is an acquaintance off mine a few miles from here. He has over 600 zigbee devices and he doesn't have 75 controllers...

I have a lot more than 8 devices per controller.

Letran, I'll give your question some thought and put my two cents in later...

This whole "8 radio slots per controller" is not making sense to me. I can tell you each controller can handle more than 8 devices.

The biggest system I've seen is an acquaintance off mine a few miles from here. He has over 600 zigbee devices and he doesn't have 75 controllers...

I have a lot more than 8 devices per controller.

Letran, I'll give your question some thought and put my two cents in later...

Look, here's how it works.

The zigbee radio in a controller can only communicate directly to 8 nodes. This is why the topology is a mesh, with "parenting"/"repeating" devices such as dimmers, switches, etc. You've all heard that these devices "strengthen" the mesh, and here's some of why, besides range.

HC300 - devices such as a remote (sleepy): they are not "parenting" devices, and if there isnt something else to talk to they must talk directly to the controller, taking up a "slot".

HC300 - parenting devices - remotes (sleepy): the remotes can talk to the nearest dimmer which will relay to the controller. The remote doesnt occupy the slot, something else can, which can support other nodes.

It may not make sense at first, but I can guarantee I've seen it happen on a job in which we had just controllers and remotes - the remotes dropped offline all the time and we couldnt get them all to stay "online" at the same time until we added in another controller/card access contact with line power and external antenna. Once these "parenting" devices were in, additional "slots" were available, and all devices could be online.

Not everyday you have 1 controller, 12 remotes, and nothing else.

With out knowing your project, I have no Idea. But sometimes dealers are aware of potential problems that need to be adressed. Sometimes they even recommend certain network gear even though the "experts" on a forum, say "lol at that advice"

Going back to the original question.

thecodeman, thanks for the mesh explanation. I've got about 50/60 wireless dimmers & switches and about 9 outlets etc. so it should be plenty of repeaters.

As the dealer explained. Having only 3 HC300 and 1 HC200 will not be enough to connect all the motion sensors and water contacts. So I would need to buy a panel or an I/O extender to connect all the sensors and contacts. But since the ELK panel is more usefull and expandable. He would suggest an ELK panel over the I/O extender.

I actually thought this will be a more common situation. How does everybody else do this?

Any suggestions how to connect:

8 CA wireless motion sensors

5 wired motions

8 wireless water sensors (with shut off valve from WaterCop or alternative)

4 wired water sensor

4 contacts/relays

Anyone? By the way I only have 2 HC300 & 1 HC200 (not 3 HC300)

Thanks in advance, needs some direction

Does it make a difference if it is an ELK panel (looks good) as oppose to the Concord (not sure how it looks)?

Better integration? How much? I'm guessing I couldgo with any water sensors not specifically CA?

Thanks for the help

Does it make a difference if it is an ELK panel (looks good) as oppose to the Concord (not sure how it looks)?

Better integration? How much? I'm guessing I couldgo with any water sensors not specifically CA?

Thanks for the help

The Concord is probably the best panel to integrate with C4.

In regards to looks, they are just metal boxes. :D

You're correct Ryan, I do mean the keypads. Though have not seen one I've been told it has more functionalities and looks very slick. But if Concord 4 integrates better I'll go with that instead. I hope their keypads look OK too.

• 2 weeks later...

How many motion detectors per HC300?

Is it better to integration if the motions/sensors are directly connected to an HC300 as oppose to a Concord panel or does it matter?

Does motion detecting slow down the controller?

If you want to use the motion detector function of an POE IP camera do you still need to connect a contact/relay separate from Ethernet/RJ45 connection on the switch?

Thanks

Archived