C4 Forums | Control4

iPad and 1.7

thefred

I just found this.....SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS: Control4 System running 1.7.4 or above. I'm running 1.7.2. I guess I may be SOL without an upgrade. But, I really have no other need for an upgrade and my system is very stable. I can't imagine its worth it. Anyone care to differ?

Ok, I will be easy,

But he cannot diagnose something that has not been installed.

OP

You may need an upgrade, but depending on your system this could be included with your Ipad install or a minimul charge.

Please let us know what your dealer says

Ok, I will be easy,

But he cannot diagnose something that has not been installed.

OP

You may need an upgrade, but depending on your system this could be included with your Ipad install or a minimul charge.

Please let us know what your dealer says

I'll let you know what happens. But, if it requires an upgrade, I'm not sure I would upgrade just for iPad functionality unless it was free and there was no chance it would otherwise disturb my stable system...... I'm sure I could get that guarantee ;)

So, here is where we ended up. No iPad without upgrade to 1.7.4. However, I was told that the upgrade to 1.7.4 would allow me to have coverart back on the iPod dock. Currently, I have to disable coverart because it causes the iPod to lock up. Cost to upgrade to 1.7.4.....4-5 hours @ $120/hr. I'm just not sure that just to get coverart and iPad functionality, that the upgrade is worth it. It seems as though some of you were suggesting that the dealer might throw the 1.7.4 upgrade in for free with the iPad license or a minimal charge. Does that pricing sound reasonable?

4-5 hours to upgrade does NOT sound reasonable to me. To go from 1.7.2 to 1.7.4!

No way it will take that long, I don't care how big your project is.

EDIT to add: I guess if you have 3-4 hours of travel time involved and they don't want to do it remotely then that might make sense...

1.7.4 was much better than 1.7.2 (as far as I can remember). All dealers are free to charge whatever but I was charged nothing for ANY upgrade so far. 2.0.4 was included with my 1000 which, IMO, is a must-have and that install took less than 2 hours for everything.

1.7.4 was much better than 1.7.2 (as far as I can remember). All dealers are free to charge whatever but I was charged nothing for ANY upgrade so far. 2.0.4 was included with my 1000 which, IMO, is a must-have and that install took less than 2 hours for everything.

Oh, and they want something like $2,000 to upgrade to 2.0. Sheesh!

His dealer sounds like most I have talked too...

can the upgrade be done over the wire? If so, call the SOHO guys... they were great when I needed some trouble shooting... didn't give me any typical BS I have gotten from other dealers.

I have had some very generous offers from some of the dealers here and I certainly appreciate that. My concern is that unless I'm willing to abandon my dealer, no good will come of me having someone else do the upgrade and iPad license to save a few hundred bucks. If I did that, I imagine that when my dealer came back to do something else and saw that I was upgraded and had the iPad installed, they would blame any issue I had on the fact that someone else had worked on the system.

I really don't want to have to get a new dealer, because my system is very stable and I rarely have any issues. And the technical guys are very good. The problem is the sales guy. And the techs even know that. I'm just pissed that the sales guy can't be reasonable on the fees they charge.

I have had some very generous offers from some of the dealers here and I certainly appreciate that. My concern is that unless I'm willing to abandon my dealer, no good will come of me having someone else do the upgrade and iPad license to save a few hundred bucks. If I did that, I imagine that when my dealer came back to do something else and saw that I was upgraded and had the iPad installed, they would blame any issue I had on the fact that someone else had worked on the system.

I really don't want to have to get a new dealer, because my system is very stable and I rarely have any issues. And the technical guys are very good. The problem is the sales guy. And the techs even know that. I'm just pissed that the sales guy can't be reasonable on the fees they charge.

And Why should they? You are in a highly leverageable position. If you are unable or unwilling to use your leverage to stay with the company and dealer you want to stay with - I would say you have put yourself over a barrel... So bend over, bite your lip, and take what comes. You have heard from other dealers and other DIY'ers on this board who have all provided you with one clear message - You dealer should just do this for you because the upgrade is not that intensive and they get to pick up a few hundred dollars for the ipad license. Maybe you need to move up the food chain and speak with the rep's boss or perhaps you need to stand up a little and shift to a different dealer for this upgrade and write a pointed to the man in charge at your deal and let them know that they now need to compete to win your business back...

But in the end, if what you really want to do is kvetch to the board about how the dealer is gonna do this or that and then you reward the sales guy with your business - then you my friend are the one who is over-charging yourself.

I have had some very generous offers from some of the dealers here and I certainly appreciate that. My concern is that unless I'm willing to abandon my dealer' date=' no good will come of me having someone else do the upgrade and iPad license to save a few hundred bucks. If I did that, I imagine that when my dealer came back to do something else and saw that I was upgraded and had the iPad installed, they would blame any issue I had on the fact that someone else had worked on the system.

I really don't want to have to get a new dealer, because my system is very stable and I rarely have any issues. And the technical guys are very good. The problem is the sales guy. And the techs even know that. I'm just pissed that the sales guy can't be reasonable on the fees they charge.[/quote']

And Why should they? You are in a highly leverageable position. If you are unable or unwilling to use your leverage to stay with the company and dealer you want to stay with - I would say you have put yourself over a barrel... So bend over, bite your lip, and take what comes. You have heard from other dealers and other DIY'ers on this board who have all provided you with one clear message - You dealer should just do this for you because the upgrade is not that intensive and they get to pick up a few hundred dollars for the ipad license. Maybe you need to move up the food chain and speak with the rep's boss or perhaps you need to stand up a little and shift to a different dealer for this upgrade and write a pointed to the man in charge at your deal and let them know that they now need to compete to win your business back...

But in the end, if what you really want to do is kvetch to the board about how the dealer is gonna do this or that and then you reward the sales guy with your business - then you my friend are the one who is over-charging yourself.

Very valid points. But, not completely accurate. If the upgrade and iPad license is going to cost between $480 -$600 plus the license, I just won't do it. But, I like your idea of telling the dealer that I have others that are willing to do this for much less and I will use them to do it unless he gets his pricing in line. And then, I may not feel so bad about using someone else. I may still have the problem if something happens down the road and they try to blame it on the upgrade, but it may be a risk I have to take to get them to get their pricing in line or I may have a new dealer by then :)

jroza1,

I took your advice and told the dealer that he needed to get his price in line or I would have someone else do it.

This is the response I received.

"I’ll be happy to sell you the iPad license for $ 99.00 and charge you $ 90.00hr for however long it takes to update the system. From experience we know that if everything goes perfect the update shouldn’t take more that 2 hours, however, with Control4 we also know that if the system locks up or if we have problems with the update (which happens often) the update could take longer. We also don’t allow any other company to manipulate our equipment in any way without them fully taking over the system."

Excepting for the fact that he suggests he is willing to lose a customer over a few hundred dollars, has anyone experienced any problems with lockups upgrading from 1.7.2 to 1.7.4?

You'll find 1.74 to be exceptionally stable.

You should remind him ref: "We also don’t allow any other company to manipulate our equipment" , that you own the equipment and to take hist business and shove it.

Perhaps I have this out of context, but that quote alone should tell you who you're dealing with.

From experience we know that if everything goes perfect the update shouldn’t take more that 2 hours, however, with Control4 we also know that if the system locks up or if we have problems with the update (which happens often) the update could take longer.

He's telling you more lies.

This is what I hate about many Dealers. They're trying to make the whole update process seem more difficult than it really is. You are'nt going to zigbeepro. The update is VERY simple. All that's involved in updating from 1.7.2 to 1.7.4 is logging on to the system with Composer 1.7.4 and accepting the update. That's all. No labor intensive proceedures to do. It should take nowhere near 2 hours. I think mine took 20 - 30 minutes total. None of the zigbee devices get updated, it's just the controllers.

After the update is finished a patch needs to be applied for the IPAD driver.

Fire them and find someone honest.

I would be interested in seeing Control4's thoughts on this. I think they should be irate over your dealer's response.

First, how does Control4 like having its dealers tell customers that their install process is buggy and that they often have problems with their updates. Doesn't give you a warm and fuzzy feeling about doing future updates or buying more gear that needs an upgrade, now does it? Would you feel good about recommending a system to a friend that is hard and expensive to upgrade and has problems during the upgrade? No, me neither.

If your gear is still under warranty, and you switch dealers, will Control4 still honer the warranty, even if another dealers sends it in? I would think so. I also wonder what Control4 thinks about its dealers essentially shaking down a customer with the threat of not servicing what they sold or installed if someone else adds something. I understand they will blame the other company, but if all that is being changed is a minor update and install of a patch and iPad license, then that would be wrong.

If I remember correctly, going from 1.72 to 1.74 is simply a hardware upgrade, so there is nothing to do, but log in with 1.74 Composer Pro, wait until the system downloads the upgrade and then wait for the system to upgrade. 30 minutes, maybe.

Lastly, I hate the "I'll charge you $90 an hour however long it takes...." because you know that the tech guy is going to be told to make it take two hours or more in order to make the money, plus make you think that the sales guy was right in his initial estimate. I can just see the guy now telling you how the system is locked up and won't take the upgrade, and they have to reset it, and it lost the programing, etc...

Again, Control4 should be pissed about this treatment of not only its product, but its customer. Unfortunately, it is an all to common problem with many dealers.

Do yourself a favor and tell your dealer that you are no longer interested in using him. Send a letter to the owner of the company and tell them why. Then, find a new dealer, and explain your situation. Tell them that you know their product and won't be ripped off. Then, every time you buy new equipment, send a note to the owner of the fired company and your fired sales rep telling them about the new equipment and programming that you purchased from the new dealer. Hopefully it will make them rethink their business practices!

Joe

I would be interested in seeing Control4's thoughts on this. I think they should be irate over your dealer's response.

I would be interested as well

If your gear is still under warranty, and you switch dealers, will Control4 still honer the warranty, even if another dealers sends it in? I would think so.

I'm not too sure. I still need clarification on this. Please see http://c4forums.com/viewtopic.php?id=7182

Your comments are appreciated.

Archived