C4 Forums | Control4

Speakerpoint

stank

I've searched the forums but cannot seem to find an answer so I apologize in advance if i've missed it...but what is

the difference between AVG-RAA1-B and AVE-RAA1-B?

I have a second audio zone in my bathroom and am getting extreme buzzing through the speakers. I'm pretty sure it's because

I was told that the Cat-5 cable that was prewired would be good enough when connecting my HC300 to an auxiliary amp using RF connectors.

I'm pretty sure that's what's causing the buzzing because when I change the amp to CD mode (built in CD) it comes through crystal clear. Rhapsody or any else

I pull through the HC300 is terrible.

I'm thinking I should either pull new cable or perhaps look at a speakerpoint unit.

You guys have been great! Thanks in advance.

yes, terminating cat5 into RCA's can cause interferance. Swapping out that amp for a C4 speakerpoint would most likley fix your issue. Just terminate the cat5 line at both ends with an RJ45 and plug one end into the speaker point and the other end into the network.

This should fix your issue

yes, terminating cat5 into RCA's can cause interferance. Swapping out that amp for a C4 speakerpoint would most likley fix your issue. Just terminate the cat5 line at both ends with an RJ45 and plug one end into the speaker point and the other end into the network.

This should fix your issue

You're awesome! Thank you so much.

I have a chance of picking an AVG on Fleabay for fairly cheap. It seems as though the AVG would be more versatile if it has the ability to use wifi and lan.

Also thank you for your insight on my wiring issues. I wasn't 100% sure that's what it could be but you're response solidifies it.

Cheers

Stan

the AVG model is WiFi(although an ethernet cable can be used) and the AVE model needs an ethernet cable.

So let me clarify AVG can be used and setup as Wifi and Ethernet, AVE is Ethernet only.

And these things are used to add additional zones if your C4 amp is full and you just need one more?

Or you need a zone where speaker cables is accessible?

I also see a USB drive and 2 IR in the back. If you add a source in one of these is it a seamless part of your audio c4 amp switch? Meaning source will be accessible from any of the other zones?

I'm thinking I should either pull new cable or perhaps look at a speakerpoint unit.

If pulling a new cable is not that hard do that instead, save yourself the cost and have a more reliable (wired) connection

^ Arriba I think I made the mistake of trying to cheap out in the first place by using an existing amplifier to powers the speakers in my bathroom instead of going to a speakerpoint.

Now I'm second guessing my choice. I can pull another wire through but I'm going to have to give it some thought as to what the better choice is.

If you had the choice to power a second zone would you use an amp (combo cd/tuner) tied into your HC300 or tie up one of the HC300 outputs and use a speakerpoint.

Hopefully someone who had this same quandary can chime in :)

^

Hi Dan, I'm assuming that is the case with it set to Wifi but I was going to wire via Lan.

Is the reception good in wifi mode? The signal would have to travel only 50 feet but through two walls.

Cheers

My wireless in the house is pretty good. To fix an oversight by me during construction, I used a wireless speakerpoint in the garage for my front outside speakers. I had lots of issues. Delays in the music stream and drop out issues. I fixed it by using a set of Belkin powerline adapters to get away from the wireless. It works great now.

Thanks for the info guys. Good idea with my wifi phone. The signal is extremely strong every since (2 days ago) I added an access point. It's an EnGenious EAP9550 and would recommend them to anyone.

With that said, I think I'll take your advice and hard wire it. As far as the output goes, I wasnt mis informed, I just have no clue what I'm doing :) Thank you for setting me straight.

As always much appreciated.

Stan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
^Are the Speaker Points still working good for you? Do you really have 6 WiFi units? Hard to imagine...

Working great...Speakerpoints in kids rm, Guest, Kitchen, garage, Master and master bath. Very happy...

All speakerpoints using Polk T15 Bookshelf speakers...

Archived