C4 Forums | Control4

Not much going on around here these days...

emillika

$899 to get my XM to work for the C4 Tuner? Wow. That's like 10 years worth of XM by subscription. I think I'll pass

You misread it:

Q. What will the XM Tuner cost?

A. The MultiTuner with XM has an MSRP of $899. The MultiTuner XM upgrade option has an MSRP of $199.

The MultiTuner WITH XM is $899, the XM upgrade is $199 for a MultiTuner without XM. So, the XM portion is around $199.

$899 to get my XM to work for the C4 Tuner? Wow. That's like 10 years worth of XM by subscription. I think I'll pass

Huh? That's the 2 tuner plus XM.

The upgrade to XM won't be that much. As shown in the large post above:

"Q. What will the XM Tuner cost?

A. The MultiTuner with XM has an MSRP of $899. The MultiTuner XM upgrade option has an MSRP of $199."

Glad to know you didn't read the whole post, even though you all want all the information. Spreading F.U.D. ?

Come on guys. Control4 NEVER said that they would cater to the end user, and that product MUST go through the dealer. Now, some of you got equipment, software, etc. from a dealer and I don't know how that situation currently is, but it is NOT the norm and never has been. This is a dealer only product, and has never been direct to the end user.

We dealers participate here and are more than willing to help any and all of you with questions about anything you may want to know. We're not trying to keep secrets or anything from you. As I've said before, ask away and I will answer your questions, as will many others. You all are acting as though Control4 was originally available to you and now it's not. It never has been available directly to consumers, it has always been through dealers so that dealers can program the systems and insure the installation is done correctly.

Now, you all say that you are our customers. I've heard this for years and years, but in reality DIYs are not my clients. I provide a service and solutions, and do not sell product over the counter. I'm sorry if you all don't agree, but this is how it is.

Now, don't go off and start flaming me. It's hard to hear the tone of voice in a text based forum post. I in no way am upset, yelling, or anything. Just trying to be clear on my P.O.V. , and you're more than welcome to yours too, but many of you are twisting this into something it's not.

This is starting to remind me of the whole URC debacle, and honestly, that is all screwed up too. Dealers not following their dealer agreements, etc. etc.

Why is there no middle ground? I keep hearing how affordable C4 is, and it is, if you just look at the prices, but all the extra pressure from the dealers to hook up components at $90/hour becomes a problem. Am I a diy'r because I know how to run some speaker wire and write an if then statement? Where is that $4000 system? To me that is affordable, not the 25k - 50k. 25k-50k is 1/4 to 1/2 of what is typically called a wealthy salary/yr. Come on - if you are going to advertise "an affordable price" there needs to allow for some diy functionality with this. I 100% agree, it is important that the core of C4's programming comes from Dealers, it is important for them to get 40% mark up, but it is also important for the dealers to understand there is a demand out there from the younger crowd for this type of product and to tap into that market and embrace it, especially if C4 is advertising towards it.

I am simply a potential customer voicing what I want. You can choose to listen or simply write me off as gen x. But gen y will only get worse.

I AM Gen X. I grew up with computers from the Commodore 64, a Tandy TRS-80 II, the list goes on and on. I DO understand what you all are saying. Anything tech related I'm more than comfortable to do it myself.

Our typical system is between 8-20k. I would say that IS entry level automation, when you consider that other systems would cost twice as much.

Here's the scoop. If you want to DIY, find a dealer willing to work WITH you to do this. THAT is your middle ground. It's no different than if you wanted Crestron or AMX but wanted DIY. It is possible, and there are dealers willing to do this, just not all of them. I for one would not agree to this with most of my clients. Even my friends whose systems we have installed don't get Composer Pro. Too many possible issues and many of them are geeks.

If you find the right dealer, you might get everything you want.

And again, we dealers participate here to answer any of your questions. Feel free to ask!

I stand corrected. I don't think this is a big deal, conspiracy or otherwise, i just want a more robust COMMUNITY. I dont do anything without my dealer. My dealer is great, thats not an issue. I just want...what did reagan call it....trickle down c4.

Ditto. I am not a DIY type guy, I am not complaining about the price, and my dealer does a great job and deserves his 50% margin (which is what was implied on the C44Me post before someone decided to edit it). And C4 never made any promises - implicit or explicit - to end users. But as someone who advises companies for a living on how to compete effectively and win loyal customers, all I am saying is that C4 as a company is missing out on the opportunity to grow as fast as it could. Dealers can buy all the product from C4 they want, but unless an individual consumer decides to buy something, C4 doesn't make a dime. So its in Control4's interest (and dealers too) to find the most effective way to get customers to buy.

Dealers - you should be agreeing, not disagreeing with me on this point. Small dealers arent equipped to spend a lot on marketing they don't advertise or generate traffic through stores. Its great having dealers participate on forums but that doesnt reach everyone. So C4 is doing something about it -- the Tweeter deal is probably a sign of things to come. Tweeter can market to customers buying TV sets when they walk through the store and build awareness of C4 that they would not have otherwise. Tweeter can advertise or market directly to consumers. Tweeter can build their own knowledge database of how to install a C4 system could rival what the C4 engineers themselves can do. So in response to all the pressure from dealers not to deal with consumers, they are forced to cut deals with large chains that have the money & muscle to invest in marketing. If I were a medium sized dealer, I would much rather have C4 invest in a larger consumer marketing budget and connect with customers directly on my behalf instead of cutting deals with the big guys who will invest themselves and threaten my business.

I've seen Tweeter mentioned several times in this post and have a question for those in the know. When I first started looking for a dealer, Tweeter showed up (the main location), but it no longer does. Is the Tweeter relationship new, old, alive, dead, etc? Anyone with any information?

I've seen Tweeter mentioned several times in this post and have a question for those in the know. When I first started looking for a dealer, Tweeter showed up (the main location), but it no longer does. Is the Tweeter relationship new, old, alive, dead, etc? Anyone with any information?

I'm no dealer or insider, but I think this was a recent announcement. See:

http://www.cepro.com/news/industry/15526.html

Thanks for the link and the info. It will be interesting to see how it rolls out to the stores and how succesful they are. Around me, there isn't a lot of comparable gear in the Tweeter stores even though they do sell and install it. I wonder if this latest push will change that.

Tom

• 3 months later...

$sight software - Here in teh UK we are soem time behind from you guys in USA...so please help me out as Control4 UK cant give me a sensible answer!

Will 4 Sight application allow me to simply have ceiling speakers in a room via the 16channel amp for example and control music in that room via the 4sight browser?

Help.....share the love USA please??

$sight software - Here in teh UK we are soem time behind from you guys in USA...so please help me out as Control4 UK cant give me a sensible answer!

Will 4 Sight application allow me to simply have ceiling speakers in a room via the 16channel amp for example and control music in that room via the 4sight browser?

My experience with 4 Sight is that it only lets you manage things other then audio/visual like light, tempature and alarm.

For audio you need to use a remote, touchpad, HTC GUI etc...

My experience with 4 Sight is that it only lets you manage things other then audio/visual like light' date=' tempature and alarm.

For audio you need to use a remote, touchpad, HTC GUI etc...[/quote']

are you saying that you could dis-arm/arm your alarm remotely?

I'm not sure about disarming it - but you could ARM it remotely - yes.

As far as availability - it has been announced at CES I believe, and I know it's out of beta testing... so I think it's due to ship any day now.

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly...excuse my typing...i am rubbish thus i look like i cant spell....!!

Its great to hear that you guys in the US are saying taht C4 is priced right and I am sure it is in Dollars...here in teh UK the GBP is the same as the dollar price...arghhhh!!!

Talk about having an upwards fight on occasions....yes it is more cost effective than Crestron, AMX & Netstreams for example...but we could be much more successful if the price point came down in line with US....thoughts C4..???

Not tooo mention teh exchange rate at present!!!!!

Pete

Pete,

I'm not in marketing / channel sales / anything that is remotely related to what you pay for Control4 in the UK, so I really can't address that issue, and I'm guessing that you won't find ANY Control4 employee who will discuss pricing on an open forum.

Also, I've talked with some UK dealers at CES, and they didn't indicate that they were having trouble selling it at the current price point, but again, that's not saying anything that directly relates to anyone but themselves. Their gripe is that the plastic looked a little cheap for their market (they thought that some metal faceplates, etc. would go over much better in the UK).

I would think that as volume goes up in other locations, the price will come down, but again, I'm not a marketing / sales / whatever.

Cheers.

RyanE

Ryan,

Completely agree with you and yes it shouldnt be discussed here. I personally think its priced"okay"...however the end users dont when they investigate the product on the good old internet where the GBP price is same as dollar....we look like we are being greedy and making huge margins...which we are not!!

Comments regards facias...absolutely ...everything we install other than C4 is typically polished or brushed steel / chrome and sure it woudl look great and maybe make the product look more value for money!

However , we cannot expect you guys to re-invent teh product just for us...not until such time as teh UK is generating impressive sales!!

Onwards and upwards hey....sell sell sell...

laterzzzzzz:D

Archived