C4 Forums | Control4

Composer

Tokead

I'm new to C4 with a HC300c, running v2.0 and an 8 zone audio amp.

I'm muddling my way through a learning curve, trying to figure out why it's not doing what I want or thought it should do and looking in this forum for answers while I wait for my dealer to get back to me.

One of the things I've observed in this forum is that lots of people have a copy of Composer rather than just HE. How do people get a copy of this, and is there someone who could send me a copy - if that's an option?

There are only three versions of Composer.

Composer Media Edition - Free, available to download at www.control4.com. This only allows people to manage media libraries.

Composer Home Edition - Comprehensive version that allows programming customization, etc... It is licensed, by your dealer, and sells for $149.

Composer Pro - This is the same as Home Edition except it includes the tools required for initial setup and driver creation. This is not available at any price, and is only available to dealers.

ComposerHE allows you to do just about everything, with the major exclusions being changing connections, modifying drivers and adding equipment.

Thanks for the responses.

I have a copy of HE. It was just from reading posts on here that I was curious how people had copies of Composer, and if it was an option.

I'm running a Synology NAS drive, which my dealer mapped to a specific folder containing my music files. I am looking for the ability to change this folder as I keep my movies in a different folder, and I want to include those: currently, for the sakes of playing, I've put copies of some movies into my music folder. Not an efficient method.

I have no interest in modifying drivers as I would bugger them up. My dealer hasn't provided an orientation of the system or HE, so I'm shooting in the dark trying to learn.

That's what we're here for, to help.

The people you hear about having Composer Pro are probably running 1.8 and older systems. Back then ComposerPro wasn't terribly difficult to find, and it didn't require any authentication to work.

Now, in the 2.0 world, it requires authentication to function, and it requires periodic re-authentication. Basically it makes it very difficult if not impossible for anyone to have it who isn't supposed to.

EDIT TO ADD: The good news is, Composer HE is great. I don't know whether or not you can make that change with Composer HE or not, I will check when I get a chance.

Yes, you can remap the folder path with he. Log into he, then at the bottom left go to monitoring. At the top left is your project tree. Scroll down and find "network storage file" (unless your dealer changed the name of it). If you scroll your mouse over the names it will pop up the real name of the driver in case they did change the name. Click on it. Now in the middle pane you should see a box with your path to your folder. You can click on the little box to the right of it and change to another folder.

• 1 month later...

All,

Been reading the forums for a few months.

So with all I am reading if I have a Composer Pro 1.8 I do not have to have the dealer put in anything to authenticate it. If I step up to 2.0 I will need a dealer. Am I reading this right?

Knowing how this stuff works and writing a driver for Control 4, I do not need a dealer to do it for me. I understand this stuff way more then some average guy should.

I am also looking for a HC 300 unit to get started.

So with all I am reading if I have a Composer Pro 1.8 I do not have to have the dealer put in anything to authenticate it. If I step up to 2.0 I will need a dealer. Am I reading this right?

- Yes, but Composer Pro 1.8 was only meant for the dealer. But many DIY "found" their own copies. Anyhow, if any DIY wants to go to 2.0 they will need a dealer.

Just a thought for the DIY just getting into things, you could build your system using 1.8 and when everything is done then find a dealer to upgrade you to 2.0. This allows you to still build your system and keep costs down but after the turning point its just you and your dealer.

Awesome. I am a huge fan of keeping the control 4 controlled however when a dealer I talked to yesterday gave me the cold should like you will not be able to do it yourself I got a little mad.

With that being said anyone out there have a HC 300 for sale. I will also post in Wanted/Sale Items.

Archived