C4 Forums | Control4

Do Not's

Taylor

Here is a list of things that you should NOT DO when using Control 4. Please, submit your own experiences here, and I'll constantly update this first post. Hopefully the list will get longer and more detailed as more and more people post their experiences.

#1. DO NOT use the C4 Multi Tuner with Zigbee.

*As of version 1.2.3.43 the Multi Tuner does not work properly with zigbee. If you select station, say, 94.5, nothing happens. It does work correctly by connecting it ETHERNET.

#2. DO NOT use the Included IR Emitters as a permanent solution.

We only use the included IR Emitters for testing purposes because of the blinking light. They fall off pretty much instantly. You could enhance the stickyness of them with some 3M tape or a dab from a glue gun, but I would just recommend using IR Emitters from Smarthome.com.

We [Cytexone] purchased this bulk pack of 50 and they stick on and work great. Here is a link if your interested. http://www.smarthome.com/8170S50.HTML

Thanks to Dan for submitting!

DO NOT sell an amp without a matrix switch

...of course that's if you can get away with it. Any project I propose with an amp I also put in a matrix switch (and if I have to I'll low ball the price if they start to waffle). As dumb as it is the volume (gain) just isn't good with just an amp. (found out through the forums).

I ALWAYS silicone my IR emitters on. I've used the C4 emitters for all C4 stuff without problems. That's about the only thing that I haven't had an equipment failure with. :)

Yeah I agree - we glue them too - but have had no problems at all with them. No need for the extra expense when it's not needed. :)

DO NOT show the user the gettin' lucky tonight light scene unless they're really cool!

Dan feel free to remove this one. It's late I had to add some humor. ...and yes we have done that scene for a customer.

Keypad Button 1 - When pressed-

Playlist "Get Some" (Barry White & Luther Vandross)

Dim lights to 20%

Turn on Fireplace

Start Whirlpool bath pump

:lol:

Now if you could only program it to light some candles...

• 2 weeks later...
DO NOT sell an amp without a matrix switch

...of course that's if you can get away with it. Any project I propose with an amp I also put in a matrix switch (and if I have to I'll low ball the price if they start to waffle). As dumb as it is the volume (gain) just isn't good with just an amp. (found out through the forums).

When you say "amp" do you include the C4 multi-channel amp as well as the standard off-the-shelf amplifiers?

• 1 month later...
#1. DO NOT use the C4 Multi Tuner with Zigbee.

*As of version 1.2.3.43 the Multi Tuner does not work properly with zigbee. If you select station, say, 94.5, nothing happens. It does work correctly by connecting it ETHERNET.

I think this has been resolved. we have one on zigbee working fine, a little slow but functioning fine.

• 2 years later...

DON'T change the ZigBee server channel right after it started.

Give it a good hour to reach and update all the nodes (switches, dimmers etc.) If you change the channel before the ZigBee server finished its work, you are going to experience a rather annoying Control4 smart home.

• 2 years later...

ive got a big question for the do not pile. my dealer had to come and work on my system yesterday, today i go down to watch a show on my direct tv dvr which is set up for sharing with the other Direct TV dvr in the house. I went to the menu to select the show and i can no longer see the other dvr. No big deal i figure they have forgotten to hook it back up to the switch. I go to the equipment closet to check and plug it back in and its plugged in. so i figure it must be something else. i tried a new cable, then a new port, cant get anything on any of them. so i trace out the other cables. the switch i use also has several PoE ports for our security system. They had plugged the Control 4 unit into a PoE port and plugged it into the wall outlet also, could they have fried the non powered ports on my switch?

ive got a big question for the do not pile. my dealer had to come and work on my system yesterday, today i go down to watch a show on my direct tv dvr which is set up for sharing with the other Direct TV dvr in the house. I went to the menu to select the show and i can no longer see the other dvr. No big deal i figure they have forgotten to hook it back up to the switch. I go to the equipment closet to check and plug it back in and its plugged in. so i figure it must be something else. i tried a new cable, then a new port, cant get anything on any of them. so i trace out the other cables. the switch i use also has several PoE ports for our security system. They had plugged the Control 4 unit into a PoE port and plugged it into the wall outlet also, could they have fried the non powered ports on my switch?

I don't quite understand what you are saying here. What Control 4 unit are you talking about?

Most switches I would think, at least my Netgear does, have PoE ports that automatically detect non-PoE connections and do not push power over to them.

As to the IR buds that come with the C4 controllers, I am going on 2 years using them on my equipment and none have failed or fell off. Didn't use any additional epoxy on them either. Of course as Murphy's Law goes, now that I have said something about them they all will be hanging free getting air ... :lol:

You can either set static IP reservations for each DTV box or use the MRV kit from DirecTV to share over coax. This happens when using the ethernet port.

• 3 months later...
We only use the included IR Emitters for testing purposes because of the blinking light. They fall off pretty much instantly. You could enhance the stickyness of them with some 3M tape or a dab from a glue gun, but I would just recommend using IR Emitters from Smarthome.com.

There are a lot of types of 3M tapes. May you say which one is better to use with IR emitters and AV Devices?

Archived