C4 Forums | Control4

Ready for a media player - need advice

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still on the fence about putting 4 2TB drives in my ReadyNAS NV+ or getting at diamond design 6bay (12TB) unit. Currently have about 1TB filled on the ReadyNAS, so not sure how many movies I would be able store.

I'm still on the fence about putting 4 2TB drives in my ReadyNAS NV+ or getting at diamond design 6bay (12TB) unit. Currently have about 1TB filled on the ReadyNAS, so not sure how many movies I would be able store.

Uncompressed HD rips from BD discs can be up to 50GB in .iso format. So, about 19 per TB with byte loss for formatting, etc. DVDs are 9GB, so ~110 per TB.

Thanks Cody,

Having a component video switch, any reason to go BD?

Sure. You can still see the PQ improvement in BD over DVD with component. In fact, most people probably cant tell the difference between the same HD source using component and using HDMI. You just have to have the space and the patience/fast pc. If you're starting now, why not?

Most of my Bluray rips are 20-30GB uncompressed in ISO format, though some have pushed 40GB. Most DVD are 4GB-6GB, though some are 7 and 8. I would say an average would be BD=30GB and DVD=5.5GB.

That's just my guess though based on the 1,100 or so movies I have.

Most of my Bluray rips are 20-30GB uncompressed in ISO format, though some have pushed 40GB. Most DVD are 4GB-6GB, though some are 7 and 8. I would say an average would be BD=30GB and DVD=5.5GB.

That's just my guess though based on the 1,100 or so movies I have.

Dan,

How many of those do you have on your ReadyNas?

Do you just have the one NAS?

Most of my Bluray rips are 20-30GB uncompressed in ISO format' date=' though some have pushed 40GB. Most DVD are 4GB-6GB, though some are 7 and 8. I would say an average would be BD=30GB and DVD=5.5GB.

That's just my guess though based on the 1,100 or so movies I have.[/quote']

Dan,

How many of those do you have on your ReadyNas?

Do you just have the one NAS?

I just have 1 NAS at the house. I want to say about 400 of them are digitally archived, but I can find out for sure. I have 6TB of usable storage. I do not have a ton of Bluray rips.

I had some of the info up on the test blog and enough people read about it by finding it on google and wordpress that I just went ahead and put up some info on the main page as well. http://www.diamondhomedesign.com/store/about.aspx

About 7 months in the making now (still at least a month to go, but honestly mostly just waiting on some fancy plastic nameplate badges that take forever to make and the final touches on one of the OS systems).

What does ddnas bring to WHS 2011? What type of RAID 5 or 6? Separate RAID for the OS? SSD for the OS? My Movies has a WHS 2011 add-on to centrally manage collections and ripping. Dual Intel NICs? Very interested in your potential server

I don't want to hijack the thread and there will be lots of information at soon. ddNAS is the OS that runs the 2 NAS products and isn't installed on the WHS 2011 machine. The WHS 2011 machine has hardware raid from LSI/3ware so you wont have to worry about the new 2011 disk manager feature issues. You can use 5 or 6 if you want.

The dd12 is rackmount, the dd6 is a smaller box (think the size of a readynas ultra), the server is both set-top or rackmount and is awesome. It will automate backups via a licensed (fully featured) version of mymovies 4 for WHS.

It also has a C4 driver to control it 100% (including turning it on and off). Trust me there will be tons of info on our site when everything is ready.

I don't want to hijack the thread and there will be lots of information at soon. ddNAS is the OS that runs the 2 NAS products and isn't installed on the WHS 2011 machine. The WHS 2011 machine has hardware raid from LSI/3ware so you wont have to worry about the new 2011 disk manager feature issues. You can use 5 or 6 if you want.

The dd12 is rackmount, the dd6 is a smaller box (think the size of a readynas ultra), the server is both set-top or rackmount and is awesome. It will automate backups via a licensed (fully featured) version of mymovies 4 for WHS.

It also has a C4 driver to control it 100% (including turning it on and off). Trust me there will be tons of info on our site when everything is ready.

One last question - enterprise or consumer drives?

You have a very interested potential customer for a couple dunes and a server :D

Cheers

See post 41. We stock 2 drives for the Dunes that are cheaper and green, very much consumer drives but they are tried and proven. The dedicated units (dd6, dd12, Smart Server) all use "high end" consumer drives that has no problem with RAID (as some consumer drives do). Its the newer Hitachi 7K3000. I tried a ton of different drives and actually spoke to two other server builders and one of them pointed me to this drive and I've found its rock solid and although its nearly a 50% increase in price over the other drives, its very well worth it. We started with a WD enterprise drive and switched which lowed the price a good amount and the drives are still rock solid. http://www.hitachigst.com/internal-drives/desktop/deskstar/deskstar-7k3000

Once all the info is out I'll give all specs (processor, etc.) Its the latest intel S class (HTPC low power consumption class) by the way. dd12 is running the new Xeon that just started shipping.

The server adds a navigator to the room or rack as it has a 7" touchscreen and hdmi/component out (actually built in).

Archived