C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 Internet usage

Hi all,

I hope this doesn't sound to dumb but I have to ask.

My Internet company is looking to cap the service at 250gb per month with additional charges for going over. Does my system constantly use the Internet, i.e. Is it always drawing from the internet to maintain itself? I use Rhapsody everyday for hours, we have three computers, iPhones, iPads, and we also use Netflix a lot. Do I need to worry about this, or is this about average?

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

Yes I do have Uverse, love the service, but now this! I will have to switch if I'm getting close to 250. I'll call today and see if I can get a history, I'll keep you informed.

I'd be surprised if you can hit 250. I have a 125 cap and my family is streaming netflix constantly. We've only gone over once (135Gb). As far as C4 goes, I don't think it consumes much bandwidth at all.

Thanks strange_brew, how did you get that info on the amount of bandwidth? I just got off the phone with AT&T and they told me they have no way to tell how much I use. They also told me they don't know of any caps coming, I told them they better check out engadget.com

Thanks again everyone

Thanks strange_brew, how did you get that info on the amount of bandwidth? I just got off the phone with AT&T and they told me they have no way to tell how much I use. They also told me they don't know of any caps coming, I told them they better check out engadget.com

Thanks again everyone

Well, if they have no way of telling how much you use I guess they don't have any way of charging you overages, so I wouldn't worry about it =)

I have NO IDEA how much I use. I know that I use between 3.5 and 5 GB per month on my phone :cool:

i believe the engadget article said they will be providing a tool to track your usage?

Although, my GF is the Chief of Staff for one of the exec VP's at ATT and she hasn't heard anything about this corporate wide.

Honestly though, beyond hard core gamers -- i can't see how this would affect many people.

i believe the engadget article said they will be providing a tool to track your usage?

Although, my GF is the Chief of Staff for one of the exec VP's at ATT and she hasn't heard anything about this corporate wide.

Honestly though, beyond hard core gamers -- i can't see how this would affect many people.

I'd bet it's the bit torrent guys are a bigger problem than the gamers, but that's a shot in the dark.

Thanks again everyone

My ISP (Cogeco) has an online tool to view bandwidth consumption (see attached)

I know when comcast implemented their 250 gig cap, they said it would effect less than 1% of their users.

Streaming audio 24 / 7 would never even come close. Streaming netflix non-stop might come close.

I consider myself a "heavy" user and I never user over 100 gigs, unless I try :)

I know when comcast implemented their 250 gig cap, they said it would effect less than 1% of their users.

Streaming audio 24 / 7 would never even come close. Streaming netflix non-stop might come close.

I consider myself a "heavy" user and I never user over 100 gigs, unless I try :)

comcast has a cap? Wow - didnt know that!

The gamers have nothing to fear with 250gb cap. Torrenting is really the only thing 99.99% of anyone could do to hit that cap.

I doubt even heavy netflix use would go over that.

Unless you have torrents running 24/7, you probably have nothing to fear.

The gamers have nothing to fear with 250gb cap. Torrenting is really the only thing 99.99% of anyone could do to hit that cap.

I doubt even heavy netflix use would go over that.

Unless you have torrents running 24/7, you probably have nothing to fear.

Totally agree. My post above is at least 2-3 hours of HD Netflix per day - that's all we watch anymore...

I know when comcast implemented their 250 gig cap' date=' they said it would effect less than 1% of their users.

I consider myself a "heavy" user and I never user over 100 gigs, unless I try :)[/quote']

comcast has a cap? Wow - didnt know that!

Neither did I...that's my ISP :(

Archived