C4 Forums | Control4

Just Add Power 3D Manager - compatible with all HD TV's/Projectors

Nded

3D-Manager-for-CEPRO-600.jpg

At the 2011 "EHX: The CE Pro Event" Just Add Power demonstrated a working prototype of a new solution called 3D Manager™, developed and built on the ground-breaking 3D-VIP technology available exclusively from Video Innovation Products, LLC. Building on the 3D-VIP Discover™ product, 3D Manager is specially designed to deliver a distributed 3D solution that addresses the unique requirements of the CEDIA and CE PRO market. This distributed model delivers the benefits of a 3D viewing experience onto practically any standard HD TV or video projector connected to the in home distributed video matrix. This seemingly impossible accomplishment is made possible by combining 3D-VIP's Discover with the Just Add Power 2G HD over IP™ solution. Just Add Power plans to offer 3D Manager as a complete turnkey package to custom installation dealers for use on new and existing HD over IP installations, with first customer shipments expected to be delivered this summer. We will also provide support for non HD over IP installations on a best effort basis.

When we learned about the capabilities of the 3D-VIP stand alone solutions Just Add Power approached them to develop a distributed version that could be used in conjunction with a whole home video distribution system. Unlike the stand alone versions, the 3D Manager implementation is designed specifically towards the needs of the CEDIA Custom Installer. The end result is a Just Add Power exclusive solution for the distributed video environment, where the Discover Encoder is built independent of the Synch node and Emitters. The other important thing that distinguishes the 3D Manager implementation is the introduction of an RS232 port on the Encoder to provide an automated way to eliminate the ongoing manual intervention that you find in the stand alone modes. Just Add Power agreed to assist in the design of a professional model, and then provide the necessary technical support to the custom installers. We've been working together since January and have reached the point where we are ready to demonstrate this solution to the market. Our exclusive agreement is that anybody who contacts VIP about a distributed version of the stand alone consumer products will be directed back to Just Add Power for product, service, and support.

The 3D Manager provides owners of existing high quality televisions and projectors a bridge to experience and enjoy the growing variety of 3D content being delivered to the consumer market. This includes popular 3D content delivery platforms like Blu-Ray, Satellite (DirecTV & SkyHD), PS3, Vudu, etc. The 3D Manager works with the full range of 3D broadcast standard (Frame Packing, Side-By-Side, Top-and-Bottom) to deliver a Frame Sequential 3D experience with the matching 3D Glasses. The first 3D Manager package made available to the CE Pro market will consist of the following 9 pieces:

1 Discover Encoder

discover-encoder2.jpg

This pass-through device converts the 3D source content to a 1080p or 720p signal compatible with practically any existing HDTV or projector. Using the RS232 interface, the custom installer is able to dynamically control various fine tuning functions such as Hz frequency (60/120), scaling, color processing, noise reduction, EDID response, etc.

2 Synch Nodes with 2 IR Emitters

synch-emitter.jpgsynch-emitter.jpg

These pass-through devices are needed for each room wanting to watch and experience the 3D video effect. Additional Synch Nodes with IR Emitters will be available for dealers to expand the 3D support to as many TV's as desired throughout the home.

4 pairs of 60/120 Hz 3D Glasses

60hz-glasses.jpg60hz-glasses.jpg

60hz-glasses.jpg60hz-glasses.jpg

These active shutter LCD glasses work in conjunction with the Synch Nodes and Emitters. Additional compatible 3D Glasses will be available through authorized dealers to accommodate the needs of the individual customer installation.

It should be understood by all interested parties that these are the preliminary specifications, and everything listed is subject to change before the products starts shipping this summer. The 3D Manager solution is only available from authorized Just Add Power dealers and cannot be purchased through any online stores. End users interested in this product are encouraged to contact their local professional installer and ask them to become a Just Add Power dealer. Due to the potential complexities involved, it is not practical to publish a price for the 3D Manager solution, as each installation will need to be customized to work best on the customer's existing equipment. In all cases, 3D Manager should still be much more economical compared to the cost of replacing otherwise working HDTV equipment with a new 3D capable devices, especially high end TV's and projectors.

Ed Qualls

Just Add Power

So, just to make it clear, this will make a NON 3D TV (like my Pioneer Elites) 3D, right?

You've got to break it down real simple for a simpleton like me.

Yes, this will make your Pioneer Elites 3D compatible.

Any existing HDMI 1.3 capable TV that supports 1080p/60 or 720p/60 content can be "upgraded" to support 3D.

I'm guessing that TV also supports 720p/60 and 1080p/60 inputs. Do you have an Xbox or PS3 to test it with? You could even test it with a Blu-Ray player, just turn OFF 24fps mode and it should switch to 60fps mode.

My 42" is a Pro-940HD (only model number I could remember), and that looks like it is only 24 hertz...

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pio/pe/images/portal/cit_3424/350723122PRO-940HD.pdf

So that won't work, will it? Bummer.

i am pretty sure thats a 600hz television that can accept the 24 and 60 FPS signal regardless the JAP system should work on it just fine

My 42" is a Pro-940HD (only model number I could remember)' date=' and that looks like it is only 24 hertz...

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pio/pe/images/portal/cit_3424/350723122PRO-940HD.pdf

So that won't work, will it? Bummer.[/quote']

i am pretty sure thats a 600hz television that can accept the 24 and 60 FPS signal regardless the JAP system should work on it just fine

Cool. TV specs are one thing I am not really familiar with. I have four of those Pioneers in a few different sizes and absolutely love them.

Good work Ed. I've been leaning towards JAP for my HDMI distribution, and this makes it even better.

It noted this will work with projectors too - any idea how well? Thought brightness was an issue - have a Panny AE4000, and idea what this does to the picture quality, or if there are base line specs req'd or recommended?

Very exciting product - have been strongly considering the JAPv2 Ip solution for video distribution (just need to upgrade my switch to Gigabit), but if this thing can transform my theater to 3D as well, I'd be sold!! :D

So far I've tested it with a budget Acer DLP projector at 8' diagonal and a very nice JVC DILA projector zoomed out to about 16' diagonal, and it worked well. As with any projector, a dark room is essential for the best viewing experience. We'll be posting a lot more details and specifications when it gets closer to the first customer shipment schedule in June.

So far I've tested it with a budget Acer DLP projector at 8' diagonal and a very nice JVC DILA projector zoomed out to about 16' diagonal, and it worked well.

Hey, if you like to test with Sony VPL-HW15 projector on an SI Black Diamond II HD 1.4 113" screen in a very dark theater, let me know. But we might need to plan on a multi-year test. :D

Archived