C4 Forums | Control4

flickering lights when running microwave

Hey everyone,

I just build a new home and put control4 dimmers in and when I use my microwave the kitchen lights flicker pretty bad. My electrician swears oh his mothers grave that it is do to the control4 dimmers. I have the kitchen load set to 80%. When I set it to 100% the lights don't flicker.

Anyone seen this before?

If leaving the microwave in place but connecting to a different circuit (make sure it's really a different circuit) with an extension cord doesn't stop the flickering, I'd do another test, assuming it's a counter-top microwave, not a built-in one: take the microwave to another room pretty far from the kitchen and if possible, use the extension cord to connect back to its original outlet.

If the lights stop flickering in this case, I'd lean toward replacing the microwave because that would suggest it's leaking a fair amount of radiation. I have a microwave about 8' from a dimmer and my lights never flicker.

Could it be caused by one or more of the bulbs? Weird things can happen. I have three halogen uplighting sconces along a staircase/gallery where I replaced the factory bulbs with lower wattage ones recently -- one of the new ones buzzes loudly if less than 100%. Only one, though.

I almost fell outta my chair laughing at this post! LOL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:lol:

It’s NOT the C4 dimmers..........it’s the electricians problem. He has the kitchen lights / appliances on same amp / breaker and its overloading the amp..................thus causing the lights to flicker. OR it’s the microwave that is defective. Period!

Zigbee is not the problem nor can it cause this problem! BUT I will say its very strange that when you set them to 100% they dont flicker...........................=thinking its the microwave or a ground loop?

I will swear on “my mother’s grave”! :lol:

Try this.....................buy a plug at your local harware store that converts the three prong into two prong. Then plug microwave into that. If the lights dont flicker anymore than you have a GROUND LOOP problem.

• 5 weeks later...

I forgot my password and the reset feature wasn't working so I haven't been able to post but I finally got back in. Thanks for all the replys.

Would a ground loop problem cause lights elsewhere to flicker.

I've noticed that the lights flicker in my office when I print using my combo printer. My office doesn't have any C4 dimmers in there either.

Also the lights in my breakfast nook flicker when the motor on my freezer kicks in.

The lights in my master flicker like crazy when I dim them. It's almost as if they are possessed.

My outside floods also flicker randomly.

If my electrician wired the dimmers wrong (don't if its possible to wire them wrong and still have them work) would it cause these issues?

I will try to convert the 3 prong into two prong idea to see if that works.

All these flickering lights are driving me crazy.

In Australia lights are always on a different circuit(s) to GPOs.

Any reason you cannot simply turn your light on an start switch off your circuit breakers one at a time till you find which circuit it's on. Then check if the microwave is also off.

This will tell you if it is on the same circuit.

I forgot my password and the reset feature wasn't working so I haven't been able to post but I finally got back in. Thanks for all the replys.

Would a ground loop problem cause lights elsewhere to flicker.

I've noticed that the lights flicker in my office when I print using my combo printer. My office doesn't have any C4 dimmers in there either.

Also the lights in my breakfast nook flicker when the motor on my freezer kicks in.

The lights in my master flicker like crazy when I dim them. It's almost as if they are possessed.

My outside floods also flicker randomly.

If my electrician wired the dimmers wrong (don't if its possible to wire them wrong and still have them work) would it cause these issues?

I will try to convert the 3 prong into two prong idea to see if that works.

All these flickering lights are driving me crazy.

Sounds to me like a cal to the election is in order. Office lights flicker when you print something? There's definitely something funky about your wiring. Are you over loading the circuits?

Hi,

I am actually a Electrical Contrator that also just built a home and have a C4 Key Pad located within 12' of my Micro and dont have this problem. I agree with the posts above and would also like to add some feed back.

Perhaps your contractor is using the same circuit i.e. Panel A #1 for both the lighting and Micro. If that is not the problem he could have also used a different circuit i.e. #2 but is sharing the neutral with the Micro circuit and the lights.

It sounds more like a neutral problem when you say the lights are fine @ 100% but flicker @ 80%. You must remeber the unbalanced load returns thru your neutral conductor.

Plug the mirco into a kitchen convience outlet that is on a GFCI and try to duplicate the problem. My bet is it will not flicker.

Archived