C4 Forums | Control4

2.0, two part question?

I'm running 1.8.2 right now and all works fine, just not fulling ready to jump into 2.0 just yet... I might some time down the road, but not right now...

The 1st question I have is,

If I decide to get a new controller (hc200, hc300) that already has 2.0 already installed on it. Is it possible to get it (maybe restored) to run 1.8.2, so I could just get it added to my system with out a problem?

The 2nd question is also a two part,

Let's say 6 months later down the road, I decided to make the move to 2.0. and have the new controller as the main controller...

Now from my understanding is, if you buy a "new" C4 Home Controller with 2.0 already installed and make it your "main" controller... Then the rest of my system can be upgraded to run 2.0 with out paying the $400 upgrade fee, right?

But if I had my new controller that came with 2.0, restored to run 1.8.2 now, what can I do? Would I lose out because I rolled back the OS to 1.8.2?

Could it just be updated back to 2.0 ?

Because since the model number and S/N would show it came with 2.0 in the first place, which then would allow me the free upgrade to my system... As long as I make it the main controller... Could I just have it updated just like all the other pieces of equipment that needs to be updated, in order to run 2.0 anyway.

Thank,

David

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that an HC200/300 that came with 2.0 out of the box won't accept a USB restore at all, because it's built in with the reset button. I tried to do this as a test on a new HC200B and was unsuccessful, but I didn't put much effort into it.

You'll like 2.0.

Purchasing a new controller is definitely the best way to 'pay for' a 2.0 upgrade.

That said, why do you need a new controller if you aren't ready for the 2.0 upgrade? Extending the system to new devices? Out of I/Os?

I'd personally say that if you don't have a pressing need, just wait until you're ready to upgrade to 2.0 to purchase the new controller.

RyanE

Archived