C4 Forums | Control4

Incorrect album artwork

I have finally been able to get my scan of my MP3 library running after finding some corrupt MP3s were causing problems...

Now I'm wondering about when I change the album artwork (making sure the correct front album cover is used from my folders rather than some back cover art or inside CD booklet art). When I did change the art (saving changes only in Composer media database and not in the hard drive folder) and repeated a scan after adding more music, the Composer changed the artwork back to the wrong artwork. Is there a way to avoid this? Is it reverting to the incorrect artwork because I didn't save the change in the hard drive folder that holds the music with the different CD photos? Do I need to save the changes to both Composer media list AND to the hard drive folder?

My Composer is 2.0.6 and software is the latest 2.1 (was just updated by my dealer who is a beta tester and has the newest release)

You should be running a Composer that matches the major version of your controller software i.e. Composer 2.1

It would appear that any rescan of the network folder containing your media resets the artwork if it is not saved in the folder as well as in the media player. It doesn't appear that the version of software has anything to do with the saving of art from what I have seen now that I've been rescanning. I don't see that Control4 has released a newer version of Composer ME yet other than the 2.0.6.

It would appear that any rescan of the network folder containing your media resets the artwork if it is not saved in the folder as well as in the media player. It doesn't appear that the version of software has anything to do with the saving of art from what I have seen now that I've been rescanning. I don't see that Control4 has released a newer version of Composer ME yet other than the 2.0.6.

I have experienced this problem as well

I know all about beta but this isn't a new software issue as my units all work with the current composer for every other function.

My question pertains to the incorrect album artwork that Composer is displaying. I have pictures in some of my album folders of not only the front cover but the back and booklet as well. Since Control4 has not apparently made the system recognize what is the front cover (even if labeled as "front" vs. "back") how can a person make sure that the Composer scan is using the correct album art and not changing it with each new scan? Does a user have to go in and change each album manually? How can you make sure it doesn't default back to the incorrect art?

Still have not found a way to keep the artwork that is saved for an album. Last night I went through about 50 albums changing the artwork to either what the online database had or what I had in the folder on my computer.

For example, Aerosmith's "Permananet Vacation" album was showing the back of the CD case. I changed it to the album cover then did a rescan of my media overnight. This morning the artwork had reverted back to the incorrect artwork from the back of the CD case.

How can a person:

1) prevent this from happening with the initial scan if there are a few different photos in your album folder

2) keep it from changing back after corrected?

Still have not found a way to keep the artwork that is saved for an album. Last night I went through about 50 albums changing the artwork to either what the online database had or what I had in the folder on my computer.

For example, Aerosmith's "Permananet Vacation" album was showing the back of the CD case. I changed it to the album cover then did a rescan of my media overnight. This morning the artwork had reverted back to the incorrect artwork from the back of the CD case.

How can a person:

1) prevent this from happening with the initial scan if there are a few different photos in your album folder

2) keep it from changing back after corrected?

C4 has alot of media management issues and has been ignoring them for some time. The gracenote media management application isn't much better than simply locating your own media. The presentation of coverart on the navigators (even on 2.06) is nothing in comparison to current media management boxes like mymovies/XBMC/Boxee etc. I think C4 may start to lose the "wow factor" from alot of potential clients unless they really work on their media management and cover art presentation.

It sounds then like this isn't an issue that has gone unrecognized.... At least it isn't just my system!

One option I was wondering that might work is to delete all artwork except the cover art in the album folder and see if that works as long as the CHECK ONLINE MEDIA option in scanning is disabled as well.

I thought if I saved my changes in the Composer that would take of "locking" in the artwork and such but this does not appear to be the case....

XBMC/Boxee/Plex is light years ahead of control4 when it comes to media management. C4 never had a "wow factor" in that department and never will IMHO. Not with the current constraints.

In doing some experimenting with the scan, it would appear that the Composer defaults to the first art file in the album folder (ie CD or back cover vs front cover) which makes me belive it's using the first artwork file based on alphabet. What I have done is delete every art file except the front cover art and that has seemingly corrected the issue. I am going to experiment with the scan if the other files are merely "HIDDEN" files so at least I can keep the artwork in the file folder but let Composer use only the "front" cover....

XBMC/Boxee/Plex is light years ahead of control4 when it comes to media management. C4 never had a "wow factor" in that department and never will IMHO. Not with the current constraints.

True, as those platforms are generally run on much more powerful PCs with GPUs, etc. I want a slick movie interface more and more, as my son is more involved now at "helping" us stay organized - aka, losing discs, scratching them, etc. so it is almost time to teach him how to use C4.

If C4 needs to beef up their processors to accomplish better C4 coverart navigation then lets do it.

It would be nice if it could be offloaded to the HC1000, but since Navigator doesnt run there I dont think that could be done. I would hope that when the chipset is redesigned to include HDMI that they put a little extra muscle in there for "future use". Heck, Windows 8 will be running on quad-core ARM processors :)

Ok, I have figured out the way Control4 does the cover art....

If you have multiple pictures in an album folder, it will select one of those (I believe it to be alphabetical selection for the most part). So if you have a CD, back, and front cover, it likely won't pick the front cover and you will have the back of the CD case cover or the actual CD picture or even an insert/CD booklet picture in some cases....

If there is no art then it will go online and find the art with the database that Control4 is using if their is artwork available.

If you change the artwork, it will revert to artwork it selects in your folder even if you change it to the "correct artwork"...

I think that is pretty ridiculous if there is any processing power at all that you should be able to "lock" the artwork that you have selected after the initial setup scan and the artwork shouldn't change unless you manually change it or completely remove it and another scan looks for a new picture....

• 7 months later...

I have had to change almost all of the album artwork for the hundreds of albums that are on my drive, simply because the resolution of the picture sucks if I don't. My dealer told me that I always have to "refresh" the navigators and back-up every project I am working on, prior to closing Composer ME. That should prevent it from reverting.

Archived