C4 Forums | Control4

Mobile Navigator Australian Pricing???

Hi all,

Just got quoted $700 for a mobile navigator site license or $275 per device by Recluse AV here in Melbourne, Australia.

Told them I'd seen somewhere the US site license price was $500 and $200 per device. They told me "that's just the way it is".

What possible justification is there for that sort of price differential???? I find that totally ridiculous.

AB

Extra middle man ie Australian distributors. This means that everything including software has a higher cost than US pricing. You will find that is the same across all non Us/Canadian countries. Do a search on the forum and you will find alot of disgruntled people about non us pricing.

How is a higher cost for a software LICENSE justified?

Shipping costs: 0

Handling costs: 0

Storage costs: 0

At time of writing, $1 US = $1.05 AUD.

US retail price of $500 = $476 AUD.

$700 quote equates to a markup of 57.5% on top of the US retail price.

Control4 are happy for this to be the situation?

This is a blatant rip-off as far as I can see...

AB

How is a higher cost for a software LICENSE justified?

Shipping costs: 0

Handling costs: 0

Storage costs: 0

At time of writing, $1 US = $1.05 AUD.

US retail price of $500 = $476 AUD.

$700 quote equates to a markup of 57.5% on top of the US retail price.

Control4 are happy for this to be the situation?

This is a blatant rip-off as far as I can see...

AB

Then buy it from a US dealer.

AB

Nobody is at fault here but the primary company. Certainly not the dealer in question. That is the way C4 run their business. It's their choice. They issue the license. They tee up the contract and appoint the Aussie distributor...they have only just sacked one..(the reasons were never explained)

But the new distributor needs to be supported to allow training etc etc etc. which is fair enough for large instals and hardware sales, until the bleeding obvious like this happens with software....

We have gone over the reasons before on this blog.

There is nothing a customer can do except either

1/ Do what you are doing and "shop" online

2/ Do what I am doing by simply "abstaining" from purchases (in protest) until sanity prevails.

I have simply decided to do the latter because I actually want to support the local dealer. And not the business model C4 wants to force on us.

Why? I see it that the national distributor model is a dying, dead dodo. It won't be around for much longer. It's happening as you are no doubt aware in a lot of other retail...heck.... Look whats happening to books!

And it certainly makes no sense in software distribution. Trouble is Control4 is both a software AND hardware business. So their agreements must be complicated. But it doesn't mean that the way they sell software and small items make any sense. You'll do your head in trying to do anything about it on this forum. Or think they actually "listen" to customers here on this blog..Trust me on that :rolleyes:

My advice. Just enjoy the product. As your budget will allow. And stick with Recluse. They are THE dealer here in Melb. Probably the best in Australia. Maybe the world. And join the "protest". In the end declining sales will force the issue..

Archived