C4 Forums | Control4

Using Apple Mac Mini and Apple TV's as a Video distribution system

I have a mac mini server hooked to a 4 tb raid box. I use itunes to purchase most movies as it's conveinent. I would like to centralize the mac mini and use apple tv's at remote locations to stream the output. Has anyone done this with the c4 system?

For some reason, the led on my apple tv (new small version) blinks every time it recieves a signal from the emitter, but does nothing. IT does the same with a standard remote also. Any ideas why?

Yes, it works. I've been testing it for a couple of weeks and it seems to work fine. I've also used Handbrake to rip some DVDs we own and put them into iTunes for playback through the Apple TV 2. I'm not sure I understand whether there's any audio compromise with that approach but they play without problems.

In fact, I am currently using a somewhat convoluted approach in the test system I have: I store the movies on a Linux system with gigabit connection to my network. I run iTunes for Windows in a VirtualBox headless VM running Windows XP. I then share from the iTunes in that VM to the Apple TV. The VM accesses the videos residing on the host system via SMB sharing from Linux. Because the VM is headless I use RDP from either Linux or Mac to manage iTunes and to add ripped movies to the iTunes Library. But to clarify, I don't copy the movies to the VM virtual disk, they remain on a shared folder on the Linux system. For example, "Get Info" on one of them shows this as the location:

\\Ubuntu\videos\Edge of Darkness.m4v

I've not seen any hiccup at all and I'm frankly surprised that works so flawlessly, given the convoluted paths. I don't think that's going to be my long-term solution but it works as a proof of concept. A new Mini to replace the Linux/VM solution is probably in my future come August when the new ones are released.

I've also used Handbrake to rip some DVDs we own and put them into iTunes for playback through the Apple TV 2. I'm not sure I understand whether there's any audio compromise with that approach ...

Not if you select AC3 or DTS "passthru". EM, make sure you select this under the audio tab, because that way HB leaves the audio track untouched and uncompressed. Of course video quality with HB is always compressed and is another matter entirely :)

The problem with using Apple as a video distribution system is ...well...it's locked to Apple. Inevitably in any "modern Family" , you'll wind up with more than one format, and unless it's still 1999, somebody has bound to have given you at least a dozen or so Blu Ray's for Christmas. And of course, you'll want to retain the video quality of these. I mean, who wouldn't? You can now buy TV's a dime a dozen that handle true High Def quality. This is now well and truly the standard around the world. So then what to you do? You are stuck with two library's. One itunes and another containing some iso's and probably some mkv's. This Apple "revisited" beta vs VHS war has gone on way to long :)

Some people have hacked the appletv1 & appletv2 to run xbmc. I have written a XBMC driver that is freely available that offers IP based control over XBMC (regardless of platform). At the moment i am in the process of rewriting the XBMC driver (from scratch as the old driver's codebase was crap) to allow 2 way communication via JSON and HTTP API's. Note though this new one will not be a freebie.

Having said that though i generally don't recommend hacking devices as this voids warranties. Do so at your own risk.

I've also used Handbrake to rip some DVDs we own and put them into iTunes for playback through the Apple TV 2. I'm not sure I understand whether there's any audio compromise with that approach ...

Not if you select AC3 or DTS "passthru". EM' date=' make sure you select this under the audio tab, because that way HB leaves the audio track untouched and uncompressed. Of course video quality with HB is always compressed and is another matter entirely :)[/quote']

I think that's the default if you choose the AppleTV preset. I noticed last week that my receiver lights up little icons for the active speakers (or channels). And even on Avatar Blu-Ray, the rear surrounds are blank/empty, yet they definitely produce sound -- I don't know what that means. When watching at least some programs on AppleTV, I've seen it light up on the front three plus sub. Don't know if it always does that.

As for video, is there something better than HB to use with a stock AppleTV, knowing that 1280x720 is the best it will do? I think I read somewhere that you can feed it 1920x1080 and it will accept it but just down-convert for output. I might have dreamed that. Or it might be only with the XBMC or other hack.

When my wife and I are both here full-time, then I'll have to switch to something like a Dune that gets me full HD, but for now the Apple TV works well enough.

Alan, how does XBMC help with distribution of movies from an itunes library? Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought xbmc still doesn't stream encrypted m4v and other apple file extensions...

Nothing I can find handles iso, mkv, AND Apple m4v files....

And there continues to lie the problem. As I said, anybody living in a half busy 21C family will bound to wind up with multiple different movie formats...some from the itunes store, some from blu ray, some old DVD's and some from your family video camera etc...

Itunes and Apple can't handle all this. Neither can a Dune, or Boxee box. Modding with XBMC or not. Nothing as far as I know...It's darn frustrating to say the least....

Not if you select AC3 or DTS "passthru". EM' date=' make sure you select this under the audio tab, because that way HB leaves the audio track untouched and uncompressed. Of course video quality with HB is always compressed and is another matter entirely :)[/quote']

I think that's the default if you choose the AppleTV preset. I noticed last week that my receiver lights up little icons for the active speakers (or channels). And even on Avatar Blu-Ray, the rear surrounds are blank/empty, yet they definitely produce sound -- I don't know what that means. When watching at least some programs on AppleTV, I've seen it light up on the front three plus sub. Don't know if it always does that.

As for video, is there something better than HB to use with a stock AppleTV, knowing that 1280x720 is the best it will do? I think I read somewhere that you can feed it 1920x1080 and it will accept it but just down-convert for output. I might have dreamed that. Or it might be only with the XBMC or other hack.

When my wife and I are both here full-time, then I'll have to switch to something like a Dune that gets me full HD, but for now the Apple TV works well enough.

EM, you need to check just what the AppleTv preset brings up. It does default to AC3 passthru, but DVD's usually have stereo and multichannel tracks. I haven't checked recently, but I think the AppleTv preset brings up just the stereo track....I might be wrong on this, but I'd always make sure you check under the audio tab and make sure you have the mutichannel track in there before you convert. Actually I'd ONLY select the multichannel track. The AC3 passthru or the DTS (if it is available) Just the one. That is all you need if you are running everything thru a receiver, because the receiver will do all the processing, even down to stereo if you want...

As for video quality, sure, there are much better solutions than HB. MakeMKV, MDRP to name a couple. They all backup to uncompressed video. Even Blu Ray. But the output here is mkv or iso or full "file format". And here lies the problem. You can't get their output file extensions into itunes.....or no easy way I can find anyway :rolleyes:

So I'm still stuck with a Dune for non Apple stuff and a computer running itunes for the Apple stuff. It's beta vs VHS all over again. And as I said, it's been raging on now way too long...

Again, the law abiding citizen who pays for all his content still gets penalised doing the right thing, whereas the bit torrent downloading cheat can do what they want... go figure....

So, in summary, the Apple TV 2:

1. Will work just fine for the OP or anyone else who downloads from iTunes.

2. Will also be just fine for the rest of us, as long as we are using it just for DVD (right?).

3. Is not practical for Blu-Ray.

Alan, how does XBMC help with distribution of movies from an itunes library? Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought xbmc still doesn't stream encrypted m4v and other apple file extensions...

Nothing I can find handles iso, mkv, AND Apple m4v files....

And there continues to lie the problem. As I said, anybody living in a half busy 21C family will bound to wind up with multiple different movie formats...some from the itunes store, some from blu ray, some old DVD's and some from your family video camera etc...

Itunes and Apple can't handle all this. Neither can a Dune, or Boxee box. Modding with XBMC or not. Nothing as far as I know...It's darn frustrating to say the least....

Sorry Alex. I misread the op's requirements. Unfortunately XBMC will not play DRM'd m4v's. It will play m4v's though.

So, in summary, the Apple TV 2:

1. Will work just fine for the OP or anyone else who downloads from iTunes.

2. Will also be just fine for the rest of us, as long as we are using it just for DVD (right?).

3. Is not practical for Blu-Ray.

Yep. Because Uncle Steve and all the Movie bosses have obviously yet to work this one out..

The biggest "no brainer" in AV right now. But hey, that's progress in the 21st C for you...

As for handbrake.... I think you'll find it pulls up all the available English sound tracks: stereo and multichannel. I'd just go in there and select everything to "pass thru". That way you are getting all the uncompressed soundtracks and HB is doing nothing to the sound...

Here is the problem. Certainly viewed form a two bit tin pot country 15K miles on the other side of the world...

And it is relevant to the OP. :)

The itunes store is fantastic. It is truly opening up content distribution. But it is limited to 720p and even worse some soundtracks are not hi def.

Blu ray is available, but some 3 months later, it's inconvenient and at horrendous costs...

And the available choice of titles is abysmal.

Just about every sub $500 TV now support 1080p

Just about every sub $500 home receiver supports blu ray audio

Blu ray players can now be bought for under $50..the same price as ONE disc..

Yet somehow Apple doesn't provide blu ray quality movies... and still insist that their inferior DVD quality format is adequate for the "average" consumer

Well the "average" consumer switched to 1080p years ago....

I mean they can't argue it's a bandwidth problem, because we all know this is BS. The bigger file sizes stream just fine.

In any case, this argument is crap, because if they were serious, they would put blu ray disc readers into their computer products, and we could simply connect up our mac minis or iMac's or whatever and use the HDMI output for it's intended purpose :)

But hey...we all want the "cloud" right? Whether we like it or not. So that's the real reason!

Does the great SJ really only watch 720p movies in stereo? On his ipad. What?... he doesn't have a blu ray capable home theatre setup? He just connects that AppleTv right on up there to all those 1080p TV's he has or that huge movie screen...and thinks...hey...that's just dandy. The whole situation makes me laugh it is such a farce...

It's got to be the biggest load of nonsense in the entire computer and AV industry right now.

a two bit tin pot country 15K miles on the other side of the world...

Completely off-topic, but for those of us in the US and maybe even those in Canada and Britain, do yourself a favor: get this and find time to listen to it. The printed word is not enough, you have to get it on CD and listen to Bryson's admiringly awe-struck, deadpan, hilarious delivery:

http://www.amazon.com/Sunburned-Country-Bill-Bryson/dp/055350259X

"Australia is mostly empty and a long way away. Its population is small and its role in the world consequently peripheral. It doesn’t have coups, recklessly overfish, arm disagreeable despots, grow coca in provocative quantities, or throw its weight a round in a brash and unseemly manner. It is stable and peaceful and good."

"The people are immensely likable -- cheerful, extrovert, quick-witted, and unfailingly obliging. Their cities are safe and clean and nearly always built on water. They have a society that is prosperous, well ordered, and instinctively egalitarian. The food is excellent. The beer is cold. The sun nearly always shines. There is coffee on every corner. Rupert Murdoch no longer lives there. Life doesn't get much better than this."

And it has, "more things that will kill you than anywhere else." (The printed word just doesn't do it justice.)

As soon as my wife gives up *her* job, we're coming to visit ya for a month or so.

Archived