C4 Forums | Control4

C4 Media Player usage?

Hi folks,

I have a general query with the C4 Media Player, is this a unit which can be rackmounted and centralised in the system or is it local to each screen?

i.e. If it is in the rack and mapped to a NAS full of media files will the Media Player distribute it to each zone? If so, can one zone play 0001.avi while another zone watches 0003.avi?

Just wondering!

i have 2 media players in my rack - connected to 2 NAS, and viewable from 5 screens. Note - most people on here will tell you the C4 media player is junk.

if you can get it for a steal - do it - but for full price ( or anything close) - there are way better media player options. (from what i hear)

yes you can distribute the c4 media player, if you use a matrix switch. and yes it is rack mountable. Each unit only has one output at a time, just like a dvd player, so if you want to stream multiple videos at the same time then you will need multiple players.

Get a Dune. It can be rack mounted. It's reasonable price, and if you buy it from James at Diamond Design, the C4 driver is included. He can also set it up for you remotely. Supports lots of formats. If you plan on having several shows running at the same time, pick up a couple rather than using a matrix

(I'm in the UK). So what are USPs for the Dune in comparison to the C4 MP?

I've seen a lot of discussion about it on here, but can't see why it is more popular? Is it the sheer quantity of different formats it supports?

If you integrate a Dune into a C4 design, the end user taps on 'Watch' on the GUI and then sees the list of media available to watch? Or is there a Dune GUI over the top?

If I distributed this around the home, I would still need an audio matrix switch right? And if the kids want to watch X and I want to watch Y, I need 2 x Dunes?

(I'm in the UK). So what are USPs for the Dune in comparison to the C4 MP?

I've seen a lot of discussion about it on here, but can't see why it is more popular? Q/1 Is it the sheer quantity of different formats it supports?

Q2/ If you integrate a Dune into a C4 design, the end user taps on 'Watch' on the GUI and then sees the list of media available to watch? Or is there a Dune GUI over the top?

Q3/ If I distributed this around the home, I would still need an audio matrix switch right? And if the kids want to watch X and I want to watch Y, I need 2 x Dunes?

Q1/ Yes. I'm told particularly the smooth handling and streaming of hi def blu ray formats. And full menu and "live" support..if this is important to you. I think Dune is a sort of Israeli/Russian/Eastern European set up. So they are used to handling a myriad of formats...Need we say more ;) But for a comprehensive review, see: http://c4central.com/2011/05/03/why-has-dune-has-become-my-choice-for-integrated-stored-media-playback/ The C4 media player is no slouch though, for most other formats. And is real simple, being proprietry and all. I've never actually seen it play a blu ray file, so I can't comment on this. Others can help you on this. Nothing but Apple gear will handle DRM m4v though...

Q2/ I gather with a 2 way driver, "Watch" brings up the Dune as an option (say in addition to a Tv or DVD player), then hitting this brings up all the available movie files...scrollable on the SR250 like scrolling a music playlist

Q3/ You only need a matrix switch if you have all the A/V in a central location and you distribute the signal out to multi zones from there..and only if as you say kids X and you Y. Otherwise just put the dune next to the TV. And yes, if you want to play two different movies at the same time, you need a matrix and 2 Dunes. An alternative is to get as many dunes as you need (or add a different streamer), and put them out where the TV's are. You can always stream FROM the Dune (that is if you load the movies on an internal HDD on the Dune), to something like a mac or HTPC. Or even Dune -> Dune. Or Stream from a central NAS to a couple of Dunes or something else...other player/HTPC/ even a C4MP if you want :)

So the basic setup philosophy is everything central and into a matrix, then say HDMI out to each TV....Or stream everything to a "player" out where the TV's are. Pros and Cons with each approach. (there are also pros/cons of HDMI vs component Matrix's right now as well just to confuse things)

I do the latter (stream and play direct from the Dunes HDD). But then I only have 2 Dunes and 3 TV zones. Any more zones and Matrix's become more useful...and some say neater and easier for non technical family members to operate. They also allow for things like only one wire to the flatscreen which can be important for some folk who like a clean approach, as all the AV gear is hidden away

I hope this helps :)

Brilliant thanks wappinghigh!

So in essence if my client wants:

6 screens which can access films and music simultaneously.

I want:

C4 MP *or* Dune x 2

Audio Matrix Switch

Just Add Power HDMI over Cat5 setup

And I should be sorted?

I want:

C4 MP *or* Dune x 2

Audio Matrix Switch

And I should be sorted?

I'll throw this over to someone who knows about JAP vs Matrix switches. I don't have either...They are slightly different technologies..

Cheers.

I want:

C4 MP *or* Dune x 2

Audio Matrix Switch

And I should be sorted?

I personally would prefer a traditional matrix switch instead of Just Add Power.

Archived