C4 Forums | Control4

SONOS vs native c4 amp

adamr

ok guys, im getting mixed reviews.

im building a new house and plan on having 12 zones audio / 4 zones video. Im not doing 5.1 thru whole house audio. I have the chance to run speaker wire. what are the pros/cons of sonos vs c4 audio?

It looks like SONOS is very good for wifi speaker.

Since it is a new build, am i better off going with c4 audio?

thanks for the help

ok guys, im getting mixed reviews.

im building a new house and plan on having 12 zones audio / 4 zones video. Im not doing 5.1 thru whole house audio. I have the chance to run speaker wire. what are the pros/cons of sonos vs c4 audio?

It looks like SONOS is very good for wifi speaker.

Since it is a new build, am i better off going with c4 audio?

thanks for the help

What are you going to be doing with it? Compare/contrast features.

I have C4 in 7 zones. When the network's behaving it works like a charm, and I love it: quick response and discrete volume ctrl for announcements etc. What's poor with it is the media ctrl - selecting/finding tracks. C4 has artist or album selection only and no search function. In that instance my buddy's Sonos blows me out of the water.

Get the wired speakers and the C4 amp. You can always add the Sonos, but you can't add the wire after the fact without some cussing

use a C4 amp for control and distribution, and if you feel that the media mgnt isn't up to par then you can always add a sonos ZP90 as an additional source and have it controlled via the EV driver.

This is turn would get you the best of both systems

sonos is a great product, I love it, but it is audio only system. It will never be anything else.

Control4 will do audio, maybe not that great as sonos, but it will also do video, lighting, temp, all kinds of sensing and triggering, cameras etc.

Like Ichbin said, sonos is a great source on c4 system, way cheeper than c4 tuner and it gives you local radio,sat radio, crazy number of internet radio station, pandora, etc, etc.

You can start with just audio and video and add other products later.

I have speaker craft amp with sonos as audio source and it works great. I have about 15k songs on a sinology nas which I manage via iTunes. As a note, if you go this route, the C4 IPad and IPhone apps don't cut it, but the Sonos apps for the same work great. Cheers!

Just one added thing about speaker wire runs...good quality speaker wire is expensive. And you need thicker better wire the longer your runs...

Otherwise, you are going to drop a lot in sound quality the longer your runs and you may have trouble powering some speakers right out in the "periphery"

If you have a big house just remember this..

Also, not everyone wants to keep the speakers in the same location within a room. In ceiling and in wall speakers are fine for background music like the kitchen and bathroom, but for other more important areas like the dining room, bedroom or family room, what if your wife wants to move the "furniture"? Or the next guy that buy's your house doesn't like where they are?

That is why the Sonos "all in one" wireless approach or the C4 "speaker point" approach is so flexible. An added bonus is you get to take all this expensive gear when you move.. :)

Archived