C4 Forums | Control4

WTB C4 8 zone Amp

rydbeckc

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

I have two C4 8 zone (16 channel) amps. One died and the other sounds like the fan is going out. Are there better amplifiers out there? I'm not interested is an exotic piece. I'm 56 years old and any decent amp will work better than my ears. I just want a good value in a product that is reliable and either has good support. I need at least 32 channels for my house.

One thing to watch out for if you go with a 3rd-party amplifier is that the amps are also the volume control devices, and if your amps don't allow for volume control over some kind of control interface (IR / IP / RS-232), you will have to use the audio switch for volume control, which it was not designed to do. If you use the audio switch, it ramps volume in increments of 4, as it only has 25 discrete steps, not 100. Most people can hear the volume changes, and some complain that it's either too loud or too soft when trying to adjust using the switch.

Just FYI, not trying to scare you off 3rd-party amps.

Control4 will repair the V2 amplifiers for some fixed cost (I don't remember what it is, but it's cheaper than new amps). This basically upgrades the internals to a V3 amplifier, which is better quality amplifier.

RyanE

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have suggestions for an amp that can be controlled via IP/IR/RS232 that is of higher quality then the Control4 units? Coming from systems of Rotel and the like and I'm not sure that I'm really excited about a C4 amp.

Does anyone have suggestions for an amp that can be controlled via IP/IR/RS232 that is of higher quality then the Control4 units? Coming from systems of Rotel and the like and I'm not sure that I'm really excited about a C4 amp.

Probably best to start a new thread for discussion outside of the for sale/wanted area. You may not get the results you're looking for in this sub-forum.

Archived