C4 Forums | Control4

Loads and Switches/Dimmers

dgbrown

Halogen lamps can be dimmed. The time people get into trouble is when they have a halogen in a low-voltage fixture.

I have exterior lights on a dimmer, an exterior motion sensor and door contact. The lights come on at something like 30% for the evening. If someone approaches the door, they dim up. When the door is opened the interior hall lights come on as well.

I always enjoy the house acknowledging my approach. The change in lighting also gets the attention of any visitor.

Yes, they can be dimmed. Halogens are just incandescent bulbs within a quartz shell filled with halogen.

My outside lights are all halogens that are all dimmed.

You just have to watch the wattage on each dimmer, and don't exceed it, remembering that the dimmers must be derated if they're more than in a single-gang box.

RyanE

Duh.

Apparently, I can't read very well. You could certainly dim halogens, but whether the motion sensing circuit can be dimmed, I'd guess not.

Sorry about that. Lack of sleep made me miss that little detail.

You could still do a dimmer and only do 0 and 100%, or you could not do motion sensing in the fixture, but do it with a separate motion sensor, and then dim them however you wish.

I apologize again for missing that detail. Good luck with your project.

RyanE

Duh.

Apparently, I can't read very well. You could certainly dim halogens, but whether the motion sensing circuit can be dimmed, I'd guess not.

Sorry about that. Lack of sleep made me miss that little detail.

You could still do a dimmer and only do 0 and 100%, or you could not do motion sensing in the fixture, but do it with a separate motion sensor, and then dim them however you wish.

I apologize again for missing that detail. Good luck with your project.

RyanE

Your co-workers must be rubbing off on you.

:)

• 2 weeks later...
Definitely a dimmer. The in-rush current on incandescents can be enough to be trouble with a switch.

RyanE

Hi Ryan,

We have a problem with some switches stuck at on position when connected to a few fluorescent lights. The load on each of the switches is much less that the rated load, but still giving problems. Any ideas on how to resolve the problem? I have been reading a post about installing a thermistor to control the in-rush current on start up.

Thnx,

Demos

Just use a normal dimmer and detatch the dimming capability. Those relay get stuck in switches all the time with a florescent load. You only need an elv dimmer when you want reverse phase dimming for and electronic load such as an Led driver or electronic transformer. But I'm serious that you can hit the switch hard enough to unlock that relay.

• 5 weeks later...
Just use a normal dimmer and detatch the dimming capability. Those relay get stuck in switches all the time with a florescent load. You only need an elv dimmer when you want reverse phase dimming for and electronic load such as an Led driver or electronic transformer. But I'm serious that you can hit the switch hard enough to unlock that relay.

Thanks Snaffle8! You are right! I just dug out a broken (or so I thought) switch that was "stuck" on and tapped the back of it with a hammer. That switch now works!

Archived