C4 Forums | Control4

Dimmer Flashing Green at 2-second Interval

Out of nowhere, one of my dimmers just stopped responding and dropped out of my project. It does a quick green flash every two seconds.

I've tried to 13/4/13 it (leave pro mesh), tried to 4-tap it (join pro mesh), have tried 9/4/9 (factory reset), have tried to pull the air gap switch and hold the bottom button as I re-engage it (firmware swap)... It just keeps coming back to that flashing sequence.

I just rebooted the controller as well...no luck.

Any ideas?

NOTE: I'm running the 2.1 software, which has had all kinds of random bugginess ever since it was done.

I've been running 2.1 for quite a while now (including in the beta), and I've not seen any random bugginess.

As far as your dimmer, a quick flash every 2 seconds means that it's in mini-app mode. Have you been doing an update on your system? Have all the ZigBee devices updated? Typically, you need to put the mesh into 'allow join' mode, and hold down the bottom button for 4 seconds (maybe it's the top, I can't remember). It should join the mesh and finish updating. Alternately, if it's not in mini-app mode, you should join it with 4 taps after putting the mesh in 'allow join' mode.

If you ask it to leave the mesh and don't have ComposerPro to allow join on the mesh, doing 'join' won't do you any good.

RyanE

RyanE:

I just tried to rejoin the mesh (tools > Network Tools > ZigBee Network tab > "Join Using: My Controller"; followed by every variation of taps and button holds I've seen). No change. Still that green blip. I also "disconnected" it in the software and then tried to re-connect it with the 4-tap, but it didn't do anything.

Any other ideas?

RE: "random bugginess" - I updated this system about 2 months ago. Every node had to be re-meshed as part of the "upgrade." Since then, I've had programming that disappeared (i.e., thermostat programming disappeared, specific settings on dimmers went away, and scenes that lost entire loads...). I'm sure there is a logical reason for this, given the odyssey this upgrade ended up being, but I followed the documented process without any exceptions.

Jeff,

Are you a Control4 dealer?

If not, what 'documented process' have you followed during the upgrade?

As far as having to 're-mesh' devices as part of the upgrade, unless it's an update from Embernet to Pro, or you changed your ZigBee configuration, it's very rare to need to re-add devices to the mesh. It does happen from time to time, as I've heard of that issue before, but in the 100+ times I've upgraded my system (I'm constantly on the beta program), I've only ever had to do that *once*, and that was because I changed the master controller, which was also my coordinator.

Losing settings on dimmers happens sometimes (especially on the Embernet to Pro upgrade), and is documented on the Upgrade Notes, it's because settings on the dimmers are stored *on* the dimmer, and when the firmware is completely replaced (like on the Embernet upgrade), you lose all settings.

As far as your other issues, I haven't heard of those specific issues before, but a good backup before the upgrade is always a good idea.

I'm sorry you've had 'random bugginess', I thought you were implying that it was ongoing, not necessarily connected with the upgrade.

RyanE

• 3 years later...

Question for the group... have a 1.7.4 with a Media Controller system that had an HTC (acting as the ZigBee server) go bad.  Had a HC-300 from another project that I swapped in to act as the new ZigBee server.  Come to find out the HC300 is running 1.8.2 and appears to have started an upgrade to ZigBee Pro.  Now 1/3 of the devices are flashing green (both LEDs).  The entire ZigBee network is down now.

When I press down on the dimmers/switches I get the amber light up, then quick flashing red, then back to the flashing green.

Questions... can I run an 1.8.2 HC300-Zigbee server on the 1.7.4 project?  Other thoughts on steps to fix the ZigBee mesh?

Chris

Oh dear.

Flashing green means they are now on a ZigbeePro mini-app.

No, you absolutely CANNOT run a 1.8.2 controller as a zap for 1.7.4.

And quite frankly, where you are now - you are stuck getting the complete system to 1.8.2 as you cannot revert back to embernet once things are on zigbeepro - not devices, nor controllers.

Archived