C4 Forums | Control4

What's worth hooking to an HDMI matrix?

Adidaswood

I'm giving serious consideration to making the HDMI matrix plunge? Im curious what people actually hook up to theirs when budget is a large consideration. I really like the atlona stuff but the 8x8 is pricey in my book. So I am asking the question, what do you think should be distributed and what shouldn't. Does someone out there have that ideal setup on a 4x4? What are you some of you distributing?

I'm thinking reduce my cable box count to 2 instead of 4.

Leave my theater on it's own and not switched, maybe just distrubte a dune and cable to the other rooms. admittedly I am a total amature on this.

just looking to see what the masses are doing.

I havent done the plunge, but I plan to after CES.

Inputs:

DirecTV 1

DirecTV 2

Apple TV

Blu Ray

Outputs:

Family Receiver (which has a HDMI run to the monitor)

Master

Bonus

Office

I like you have many sources but am pairing them down to initiate HDMI switching. Since my rack is close to my family room, I have an HDMI run going to the monitor with the receiver in the rack (5.1). The receiver has 6 HDMI inputs so I can put all the excess inputs on this machine, with only local viewing access (Mac Mini, Roku player, etc.). I am finding that it is rare that I need to distribute anything other than satellite television, Apple TV (w/ Netflix), and the occasional rented blu-ray.

I also will eliminate the need the on-screen GUI, as its basically pointless and too slow (read: annoying). With iPads, iPhones, and touch screens, the need to see C4 on screen GUI gets smaller everyday.

The appleTV or other player should handle all your media, this is a must.

I have the following devices connected:

HC200 (Navigator for Slingbox/some displays)

Cable Box 1

Cable Box 2

EVA9150 1

EVA9150 2

Sony 400 Disc Changer

Single Bluray Player

That's all I can think of. The outputs go to all displays, and to the slingbox. I absolutely love distributed video and (as you can see) distribute everything with the exception of the Wii (for now).

I have the following connected to an Atlona 8X8

Sat 1

Sat 2

PS3

Dune Player

Sony 400 Bluray Changer

Panasonic 3D Bluray

HC200 1

HC200 2

It's expensive maybe but the best part of the system by far. It's been bulletproof for me so far so in this case you get what you pay for...

Input 1: PS3

Input 2: Dune

Input 3: Wii (through Wii2HDMI Adapter)

Input 4: Xbox360

I'm thinking of swapping out the Xbox and putting it on a receiver for a TV since I hardly use it and putting my HC300 (through a converter) to Input 4 and then program the Control4 button on my SR250s to bring up the bookmark of whichever room I'm in.

I also will eliminate the need the on-screen GUI, as its basically pointless and too slow (read: annoying). With iPads, iPhones, and touch screens, the need to see C4 on screen GUI gets smaller everyday.

The appleTV or other player should handle all your media, this is a must.

I use the OSD for security cams most everyday. It's a little pokey to do it but I don't walk around with an iPad or even a phone when I'm in the house. I don't own apple anything and the one iPod I do have is a dust collector.

Fine, walk around with an Android tablet or turn on your MyHomePC Adobe app on your laptop or desktop.

On screen GUI is worthless.

Do you find it worthless because it is slow or just not needed in general?

Some of our customers love it and others just use the watch button on the SR-250. I do know that most prefer to drive their TV's with the SR250 as opposed to an iOS device

On screen GUI is worthless.

Don't go that far.

My wife and kids use it all the time.

It is slow' date=' but it isn't worthless.[/quote']

Okay, its not worthless.

But its painfully slow.

I use the SR250 for tv surfing. But when it comes to cameras and anything inside the GUI, I run a 3rd party tablet/phone, MyHomePC app, or in wall touch screen located in my kitchen.

This may sound stupid, I've never dealt with a matrx before. You can only watch one device on one output correct?

you can't have one dune player and watch it in 2 rooms.

You absolutely can. I'm doing it right now!

A matrix can put any input to any output(s).

Sat 1

Sat 2

PS3

Dune Player

Sony 400 Bluray Changer

Panasonic 3D Bluray

HC200 1

HC200 2

It's expensive maybe but the best part of the system by far. It's been bulletproof for me so far so in this case you get what you pay for...

If I can ask, which Atlona 8X8?

Thanks,

Dave

Sat 1

Sat 2

PS3

Dune Player

Sony 400 Bluray Changer

Panasonic 3D Bluray

HC200 1

HC200 2

If I can ask' date=' which Atlona 8X8?

Thanks,

Dave[/quote']

I've got an AT-PROHD88M-SR. You are in luck because they have a new model the AT-PRO2HD88M so I would pick one of those up. This is a 10/10 product and company. I've never had a lockup, freeze or stutter it JUST works! You GET what you pay for and HDMI will be here for a long time. There was no way I was going to go component so I was probably one of the first last November in my city to buy one of these. Now they are being used by my dealer exclusively because.... ZERO problems... Anyway that's enough of my sales job ;)

I'm sure it's nice, but $10k is a lot of scratch for a switch.

Especially considering a 4x4 can be had for under $1,000. I wonder when the prices on these will come down from the stratosphere. I need an 8x8, but I can't justify spending the $10k when my component switch works so well.

^ They only cost $7,499.99 so it's 25% cheaper than you thought so no excuses! ;)

LOL... They are expensive but what can you do. If you already have component that works it's harder to make the jump but for a new install I couldn't see anyone buying obsolescence right out of the box. At least I couldn't do it and that was a year ago. Component might limp along for a while but when it's over its over and Peasant Vision (Antenna TV) isn't a happy place ;)

Archived