C4 Forums | Control4

speaker point question

jeffh

I have read the sales material, but I am still unsure what a speaker point is capable of. If I put a speaker point in a room in my house,

what sources is is able to access? If it is able to access more then the MP3s on my media center, how do those sources get digitized and sent to

the speaker point?

Thanks for any insights.

Jeff

Controllers have analog inputs as well as analog outputs.

Source that are analog in nature (tuner, etc.) would go into an input on the controller, and the controller would turn that into a digital audio stream, that can be listened to by a number of SpeakerPoints.

Typically, they'd be best used for retrofit situations, as if it's a traditional multi-room audio system, you'd use the Audio Matrix Switch and amplifiers.

RyanE

• 7 months later...

Can you set these wireless speaker points up to receive a different output from a MC (say FM radio) while another speaker point is currently receiving mp3 playback from the MC? Can the system handle that?

What would be best for two zones? Go with the wireless speakers points or make the effort to cut and patch drywall after installing a hardwired system from a C4 amp? We may also consider moving in the years to come.

Once it's digital - each speaker point can listen to any digital stream independent of what other speaker points are listening to.

BEST: always run wires!!! :)

You could put two Speakpoints via hardwire instead of wireless... but the AMP is the best solution - just not cost efficient if all you need is two zones.

I recently added a speakerpoint to a new room. My dealer told me it wasn't capable of accessing the multi-tuner which was sitting in the main rack. (Actually I was told there was a workaround, but it seemed a bit complicated at the time). Same for accessing my 777. I basically just stream digital music on it...that may be all it can do.

If the tuner or 777 don't have either, their outputs connected to the inputs of a controller (to be digitized, which adds delay) or their outputs connected directly to the speakerpoint inputs (which works best in local amp mode), then you won't be able to access them. I would suggest if you can get wire to it, then do the latter.

Archived