C4 Forums | Control4

Turn DVD Player off when selecting another source

JHill9

I just got a new DVD player and got it identified in the project but programing is off. If I am watching cable and switch to the DVD player everything works great. But if I switch back to cable the DVD player doesn't turn off. Anyone know is that is something I can fix or am I going to have to get the dealer to do it.

For whatever reason, Control 4 decided to leave all devices on once you start a "session" therefor C4 is doing exactly what it is meant to do.

You can add programming to turn if off (if it is on, and you switch) but editing the driver will not help at all.

Brent

I would think the reason is that it's more likely you'll go back to the previously selected device... i.e. if you had 2 satellite receivers, and you are switching back and forth between them, if you turn it off every time you switch, there's a longer delay to get back to the previous one than if you leave it on.

When you press 'Room Off' on the remote, or choose room off on a touchpanel, then all devices that were previously on for that room, and which are not being used elsewhere will get turned off.

RyanE

Oh, maybe I was wrong.

I had an xbox in my project that would turn off if I switched to another source. That Xbox was old and died and I just got a new one but it stays even if I switch sources.

I thought you would fix the problem by going to the driver wizard and changing the "power management handled for this device". Would that not make it do what I want? (I have not tried to do it yet)

There are only 2 of us in the house so if someone isn't using the device I would rather have it turn off then always on. Let me know if there is a way I can do that.

Oh, maybe I was wrong.

I had an xbox in my project that would turn off if I switched to another source. That Xbox was old and died and I just got a new one but it stays even if I switch sources.

I thought you would fix the problem by going to the driver wizard and changing the "power management handled for this device". Would that not make it do what I want? (I have not tried to do it yet)

There are only 2 of us in the house so if someone isn't using the device I would rather have it turn off then always on. Let me know if there is a way I can do that.

All my DVD players are on until we hit room off. Cable boxes stay on all the time they don't use that much power.

It Funny you say this we just got done watching a move but now watching cable, DVD still on but it does not affect anything. When we are done in this room we hit room off all off but cable box one little blue light...

Oh, maybe I was wrong.

Power management in driver properties does not change this behavior. It functions as dogdvr describes unless programmed around.

You don't need a driver for this:

Program this: "when video selection changes" and "if dvd Player is on" and if current video selection is NOT DVD player" "turn dvd player off"

I do this whenever I switch sources. Keep in mind, you don't have to do this, when you hit room off, it will turn everything off. Control4 is not defaulted to do the above behavior.

You don't need a driver for this:

Program this: "when video selection changes" and "if dvd Player is on" and if current video selection is NOT DVD player" "turn dvd player off"

I do this whenever I switch sources. Keep in mind, you don't have to do this, when you hit room off, it will turn everything off. Control4 is not defaulted to do the above behavior.

Thanks! I will do that tonight and give it a shot.

On another note is there a good driver for an xbox? The one I have doesn't work the way I want. Even if I hit room off the power never seems to turn off.

^ Positioning the ir bud is key on the Xbox. Mine is slightly offset from the sync button and mounted with black tape. I ended up buying a Roswill win7 remote and learning the codes through the wizard. You will also need to set your ir repeat from the default 5 down to 2. I noticed the other day that Target had the official xbox remote for $20. In order to map the ir codes right, you might need to cut/paste the codes in the wizard. Might xbox response to the ir bug got better over time for some strange reason.

Is there a way to turn off the device from the remote while another is selected? Using the above as an example, can you select dvd from the remote turn it off while you are watching cable?

You could program a colored button to do that on the remote. Red = send toggle code to bd player.

^ Positioning the ir bud is key on the Xbox. Mine is slightly offset from the sync button and mounted with black tape. I ended up buying a Roswill win7 remote and learning the codes through the wizard. You will also need to set your ir repeat from the default 5 down to 2. I noticed the other day that Target had the official xbox remote for $20. In order to map the ir codes right, you might need to cut/paste the codes in the wizard. Might xbox response to the ir bug got better over time for some strange reason.

Looks like I can go get a used xbox remote for 8 bucks from GameStop. Sounds like I will be trying it out tonight.

Is there a way to turn off the device from the remote while another is selected? Using the above as an example, can you select dvd from the remote turn it off while you are watching cable?

you can............but is a pain in the butt..........not worth going that route

I got it working the way I wanted by using the programming you said and changing it up a little. I had to add it to check the other rooms to see if the DVD player was on or not. But now that I type this I doubt I really needed it. Ha ha. Oh well it is already done and working.

I got it working the way I wanted by using the programming you said and changing it up a little. I had to add it to check the other rooms to see if the DVD player was on or not. But now that I type this I doubt I really needed it. Ha ha. Oh well it is already done and working.

good to hear.

Archived