C4 Forums | Control4

C4 Dimmer not giving full power

JHill9

There is a dimmer installed in my kitchen that seems to not come on to full power even though it is saying 100%. Anyone else have this problem? I also have another dimmer in the family room, lights are 8 feet away which is why I think the kitchen is not really at 100%.

If that dimmer is installed in a 'switch leg' configuration (i.e. the switch box does not have a true neutral), the lights will only light up to about 80% of their full power, so that the dimmer will have a potential (difference) between the hot and the load wires, to power the electronics of the dimmer.

This is standard, but dimmers should only be wired 'switch leg' if the original circuit does not provide a neutral in the wall box.

RyanE

Switch is wired with a neutral, but I will get the meter out and check it tomorrow to confirm (new to me house).

If put the kitchen and the family room at 50% you can really notice a difference. If I make them have the same intensity the kitchen would be at 50% and family room would be 20%. Of course I am judging this by using my eye.

A 'normal' dimmer could mean anything from a *manual* dimmer, to an electronic dimmer with different characteristics.

Also, you may just have a loose neutral, so the dimmer *thinks* it's in a Switch-leg situation. I don't remember the switch leg wiring, but it may be just the Hot and Load.

RyanE

A 'normal' dimmer could mean anything from a *manual* dimmer, to an electronic dimmer with different characteristics.

Also, you may just have a loose neutral, so the dimmer *thinks* it's in a Switch-leg situation. I don't remember the switch leg wiring, but it may be just the Hot and Load.

RyanE

Sorry, meant manual dimmer. Tomorrow I will pull the dimmer out and check the wiring.

Have you already identified the dimmer in Composer? I had this issue when the dimmer was originally installed and identified when the lights were partially dimmed. Had the issue on a couple of lights in my house.

Have you already identified the dimmer in Composer? I had this issue when the dimmer was originally installed and identified when the lights were partially dimmed. Had the issue on a couple of lights in my house.

It is already identified but I can get them to disconnect it and reidentify it.

No, I believe the neutral (by code) has to be within the same outer jacket as the hot for the circuit.

RyanE

I think you are correct on the code issue. But I just dropped a neutral and a ground to a switch box so I could install another C4 switch. I am ok with not following the code to the "T".

As long as you're also OK not selling your house, or not having insurance pay when it burns down (yes, I know it's unlikely).

Personally, I figure if you're dropping a wire to the switch box, you may as well drop a Romex, and have it safe and legal.

RyanE

As long as you're also OK not selling your house, or not having insurance pay when it burns down (yes, I know it's unlikely).

Personally, I figure if you're dropping a wire to the switch box, you may as well drop a Romex, and have it safe and legal.

RyanE

Yeah, that probably would have been better. Oh well, I don't want to get back in the attic.

Archived