C4 Forums | Control4

Advice on new system please

Doorman

Hello all

I am a new (soon to be) C4 home owner

I am building a large 3 level home and am installing a C4 system for distributed A/V HVAC and lighting

My dealer seems very knowledgable and we are about to order the equipment so I have just been provided with an updated equipment list with the newly announced controllers

I have been reading as much as I can on this forum to build my knowledge and make sure I get what I want. Based on what I have read the revised list has raise several questions in my mind and I am sure the more learned members of this forum will also have many questions.

So here is the final list

The following is what is on my list

Control4 HC-800 (Hub Room Processor) x1

Control4 HC-250-E-B-NR (Slave Controller)x5

(MBed, Living, Theatre,Games, Upper Living)

Control4 C4-HC-300C-E-B (Hub Room Controller) x1

Control4 I/O Extender (Hub Room I/O expansion) x1

Control4 C4-16AMP3-B (Hub 8 Zone Amplifier) x1

Control4 C4-16S2-E-B (Hub Audio Matrix Switch) x1

Control4/Zektor C4-VDSW-01 (Hub 8x8 Comp Swt) x1

Control4 Infinity Edge (Touchscreen/Intercoms) x3

In Ceiling Speakers x 9 zones

Control4 C4-IPDKTT1-E-B (Dock for iPod)

Control4 C4-CX-7000ES (Hub Sony 400 Bluray Changer)

Control4 C4-MP2-E (Hub Media Player)

Sonos IP Driver Package for Control4

iTunes IP Driver Package for Control4

C4-TDIM2Z-W (Electronic Low Voltage Dimmer) x 57

C4-KP2-Z-W (2button Keypad for 2-way lighting) x2

C4-KP3-Z-W (3button Keypad for lighting/programming) x10

C4-LSZ-101-240 (Wireless Switch for Exhaust Fans) x11

C4-KP6-Z-W (6button Keypad for lighting/programming) x13

C4-SR250B (Wireless Remote Control w/LCD Feedback) x3

C4-SR150 (Wireless Remote Control) x1

C4-Mysite License (Site license for iOS devices) x1

C4-Intercom-E (License for Intercoms) x1

C4-4Sight (1 year Remote Access Subscription) x1

Misc. Breakout Boxes for Video Zonesx5

There will also be 2 x door/gate video door stations, several card access sensors and garage door/gate sensors.

The system will also interface with my aircondintionng system and m1 alarm along with front door locks

Most of the dimmers will be place in remote locations with keypads on the walls as I don't want multiple switches on the walls.

The questions I have considered so far

1) with the release of the HC 800. Do I really need the HC 300 in my hub room. My understanding is the HC 800 is a processor and controller in 1.

2) if I do need the controller in my hub room would a hc250 not be sufficient

3) clearly it would be silly to order infinity edge touch screens given what I have read about them not being compatible with door stations

4) I have 10 audio zones in my project. Do I need a 8 zone amp and 16 zone switch. My audio sources will be sonos, my iTunes library,iPod and maybe a cd player.

5) originally my dealer included 2 touchscreen remotes but I had him remove them due to the fact we have 4 ipads and 5 iPhones floating around the house. Is this short sighted on my behalf. Perhaps now with the new camera model I should get some to work with my door stations.

6) I read a thread that talked about not locating too many zigbee dimmers together for fear of interference. I have that covered but one post raised the problem if director goes off line I will have no light control. Is this something I should be concerned about? It shouldnt be a frequent occurrence right? House is already wired so I am committed anyway!!

7)is the io extender necessary given the hc800 has several options for io

8) does anyone have any further suggestions on what I should ask my dealer or include in my project

I don't want to skimp on the project but by the same token am not one to throw money way for the sake of it.

I am located in Australia so I will reply to follow up questions as promptly as I can.

Thanks in advance

There will also be 2 x door/gate video door stations, several card access sensors and garage door/gate sensors.

The system will also interface with my aircondintionng system and m1 alarm along with front door locks

Most of the dimmers will be place in remote locations with keypads on the walls as I don't want multiple switches on the walls.

The questions I have considered so far

1) with the release of the HC 800. Do I really need the HC 300 in my hub room. My understanding is the HC 800 is a processor and controller in 1.

2) if I do need the controller in my hub room would a hc250 not be sufficient if maybe ok but what is your time frame?

3) clearly it would be silly to order infinity edge touch screens given what I have read about them not being compatible with door stationsare you going to use the door station? would just audio be fine? that is a question you need to answer

4) I have 10 audio zones in my project. Do I need a 8 zone amp and 16 zone switch. My audio sources will be sonos, my iTunes library,iPod and maybe a cd player.

5) originally my dealer included 2 touchscreen remotes but I had him remove them due to the fact we have 4 ipads and 5 iPhones floating around the house. Is this short sighted on my behalf.that is very short sighted, controlling lights and Enviromental is fine on a Ipad or I phone device, but do not try to contol simple items like volume, mute and pause with them Perhaps now with the new camera model I should get some to work with my door stations.

6) I read a thread that talked about not locating too many zigbee dimmers together for fear of interference. I have that covered but one post raised the problem if director goes off line I will have no light control. Is this something I should be concerned about? It shouldnt be a frequent occurrence right? House is already wired so I am committed anyway!!

7)is the io extender necessary given the hc800 has several options for io it depends on how many devices will be monitored and or controlled

8) does anyone have any further suggestions on what I should ask my dealer or include in my project

I don't want to skimp on the project but by the same token am not one to throw money way for the sake of it.

I am located in Australia so I will reply to follow up questions as promptly as I can.

Thanks in advance

Thanks dogdvr

Timeframe is we are looking to move in around June/July. I would be prepared to move in without the door cameras/touchscreens and wait a few months rather than buy obsolete gear

We are definitely having video at gate and front door

Just to clarify the reason for my post is not essentially to check up on my dealer.

It is more about firstly checking the validity of my questions and secondly to flesh out any other questions I need to ask before ordering the gear

The clarification about how many devices will be controlled

2x garage door card access kits

1 x sliding gate ( I am guessing this can be controlled by a modified card access garage door kit??)

Foxtel decoders x2

TiVo

M1 alarm via ethernet

2x a/c systems via Ethernet

Up to 10 card access motion sensors

Kwikset door locks x 2

Plus the other c4 gear on the list.

Sorry I am new to C4. What I have learned has come mainly from this forum so please let me know if there is any more specific info needed

Thanks

Thanks

You might want to scratch a few items off the list.

Control4 C4-HC-300C-E-B (Hub Room Controller) x1 (soon to be obsolete) -- Are you getting a good deal on this? If not get a HC250 instead.

Control4 Infinity Edge (Touchscreen/Intercoms) x3 -- verify that these are the newest touchscreens that can do video or don't buy them

Control4 C4-IPDKTT1-E-B (Dock for iPod) -- These have problems don't buy it unless you're getting a fantastic deal on it.(buggy junk)

Control4 C4-MP2-E (Hub Media Player) -- junk, don't buy it, get something like a duneplayer instead.

C4-KP3-Z-W (3button Keypad for lighting/programming) x10 -- get more 6 button keypads instead of 3 button keypads

C4-SR150 (Wireless Remote Control) x1 -- Why not get another sr250 instead?

C4-4Sight (1 year Remote Access Subscription) x1 -- buy Composerpro home edition and it comes with a year of 4-sight free.

My thoughts on the Ipod dock, SR150, HC300C and C4 media player is, it seems like your dealer is trying to offload old stock on you. The HC300C has a 400mhz processor and the HC250 has a 1Ghz processor. Unless your getting a great deal on it and only using it for I/O, don't get it.

Thanks for the advice

Getting back to my original questions

Do I need a hc250/300 in my hub from if I have a hc800 and I/O extender. I think my dealer told me the main reason for the hc300 in the hub room was mainly for system install/administration

"Control4 C4-CX-7000ES (Hub Sony 400 Bluray Changer)"

Why not go digital with something like the DuneHD?

Get ComposerHE.

Business class wired network with backup battery power (UPS).

I like the SR-150 if you are going to have a touch panel in the same room because its light weight and simple.

I would agree with the comment about getting 6-button keypads in place of the 3-button.... i have subsequently replaced all but one of my 3-button keypads with 6-buttons, and also replaced a few 2-button keypads with 6-buttons a well.

As far as hiding the actual switches and dimmers and only having the 6-button keypads, it sounds fantastic, but i just had my HC1000 die, and was down for 5 days waiting for the replacement controller (how long does it take to get an RMA to Australia?). It wasn't horrible, since the actual switch was usually on an opposite wall, we just had to walk around tapping switches for a few days to figure out which ones were the 'real' one.... really confused the kids... Also had to reprogram my old harmony remote and rewire the ir buds into my old boxed up ir repeater in order to watch tv... Anyhow, I digress. There is also something to be said for having a big switch to push when in a hurry, or when your hands are full and you just tap the button with your elbow....

If you are doing all those motion sensors, try not to duplicate security sensors which can be used once your security system is integrated... Not sure about the hc800... heck, i JUST got an hc1000 9 months ago.

Archived