C4 Forums | Control4

Unable to connect to MyHome over VPN

zaphod

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes - although this just shows the C4 logo.  Is that what I am supposed to see?  That is when I go to the IP of my controller which is 192.168.1.12.

And using an SSH app I can log into the controller.

I have also tried deleting and reinstalling the app and it doesn't find the system when connected via VPN.

I also tried changing a setting in the VPN configuration called "Direct client to redirect Internet traffic"  I think that is the same as the "redirect-gateway def1" parameter.

One more interesting thing to note:  When I previously tried to use the VPN to connect to MyHome I was at home but I shut off Wifi and connected via LTE.  Today I am at the office and am connected via Wifi to the Guest WAP at the office.  I am able to connect via VPN and use MyHome.

So it looks like MyHome on the iPad checks to see if you have Wifi on and if you do not then it throws up an error, even if you have a valid connection back to your controller via a VPN over LTE.

So it looks lime my VPN connection was fine.  MyHome just bitched since Wifi was shut off.

Can anyone else confirm this behaviour?

@C4RVA - Yes, with a VPN? connection over LTE I can access local services like from my iPad - for example I can browse my local webservers on the 192.168.1.0 subnet.  I can browse to my router at 192.168.1.1 and look at the VPN status page and see the IP assigned to my iPad.  I can also open an SSH session to my C4 controller with an SSH app on my iPad.  If I can do that then don't I have to have the correct routing set up?

And I can use MyHome perfectly well when connected via Wifi when I am away from home.  Right now I am at work and connected to our Guest Wifi network that doesn't block ports.  I am able to make a VPN connection to my LAN and MyHome connects and works fine.  I verified by turning a light on and off and I observed it change on my IP cam.

But when I connect on my iPad with Wifi turned off and LTE turned on I get this error that says "Unable to Connect  Please join a Wi-Fi network." error that I described above.

So doesn't this indicate that the Control4 MyHome app is looking to see if WiFi is active and if it isn't then it is giving you this error?  And that is regardless of whether you have a proper VPN connection.

My app gives me a warning saying in on a cellular network and let's me connect.

Did you enter the ip of the controller in the c4app itself ?

Your vpn if routed and not bridged won't send over broadcast packets which is how the all discovers the control on the local network.

The IP address - 192.168.1.12 is there in the Details:  My Control4 System screen.  It just won't connect

But how come it will work over wifi VPN but not LTE VPN?  Shouldn't the routing be agnostic to the network type unless there is specific code saying "If Wifi.connected=false then 'Do not connect'" 

I am using the exact same iPad and here is exactly what I did:

1. Join Wifi network
  2. Turn on VPN. 
  3. Open myHome and everything connects.
  4. Shut off wifi which will kill the VPN in OpenVPN. 
  5. Go back to OpenVPN and turn the VPN back on. 
  6. Verify that I can access resources on my LAN
  7. Switch backto MyHome and no go.

So, try this, don't turn off wifi, just disconnect from the WAP.  So wifi is on but in an unconnected state.  Does the app work then?  You might be right, the app is checking for wifi on/off.

This condition only exists in testing, so it really isn't an issue.  If you are out of range of your wifi AP, why would you turn wifi off?  Simple solution...

Just because the browser connects to your network resources doesn't mean your apps will if your openVPN isn't configured properly. From their forums it seems like configuration is tricky and must be done correctly for apps to work properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you can reach the controller on port 80 (web) you should be able to connect the app. Maybe the ipad version of the app is checking for wifi. My suggestion would be to jailbreak and use 3G unrestrictor. Basically it changes the flags on the phone to look like it has a wifi connection.

I don't have an ipad so I can't speculate much more.

You may want to try a port scanning app on your ipad to see what ports are open on your controller through the Vpn. Scanny is the app I use.

If you can reach the controller on port 80 (web) you should be able to connect the app.

This is not true, if not configured correctly you could access your network via a browser but apps would not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Openvpn configuration generally doesn't involve blocking or forwarding specific ports. It does however require the right rules to be set in the iptables. It's unlikely he configured his openvpn to just allow traffic on port 80. A simple scan of his controllers port 5020 will show if that is the issue. Which it is likely not.

One more interesting thing to note:  When I previously tried to use the VPN to connect to MyHome I was at home but I shut off Wifi and connected via LTE.  Today I am at the office and am connected via Wifi to the Guest WAP at the office.  I am able to connect via VPN and use MyHome.

So it looks like MyHome on the iPad checks to see if you have Wifi on and if you do not then it throws up an error, even if you have a valid connection back to your controller via a VPN over LTE.

So it looks lime my VPN connection was fine.  MyHome just bitched since Wifi was shut off.

Can anyone else confirm this behaviour?

Yup... I have the same issue.  My 4sight subscription lapsed and I could no longer connect via my VPN. I have been using my VPN for years to access my Control4 system, even before 'Anywhere Access' was introduced.  Either it's poor programming in the MyHome app which automatically assumes that if you're connected via cellular the only way you could possibly connect is through 4sight, or it's intentional to require you to purchase a 4sight subscription.

Good, glad to know it isn't just me.

The funny thing is, and I haven't tired this yet, but I bet one workaround is to tether my iPad to my iPhone using Wifi sharing and I am guessing the VPN will work since, as far as my iPad is concerned, I am using a Wifi connection.

• 2 weeks later...

@Schrader - I think you are exactly right and my suspicion is that this was done purposely so that everyone requires a 4Sight subscription.

@zaphod - no you are not the only one and I have been having this problem since upgrading to a particular version of the MyHome App. Whilst what you suggested will work - it is somewhat troublesome to have to carry multiple devices around and the need to tether. What I do is I maintain an older version of the MyHome app, just prior to Control4 making the change. That version will work fine over VPN without the need to detect a Wifi signal.

Hopefully Control4 will reverse the change but I do not see why they will do that as 4Sight subscriptions will earn them more money.

Mine work great over VPN regardless whether on cellular or Wi-Fi. I use Android devices. I don't know if that makes a difference. I do not have a 4 Sight subscription.

Sent from my Droid MAXX via Tapatalk.

Archived