C4 Forums | Control4

Pause starts timer...?

ILoveC4

So, a few times in the couple of weeks I've gone downstairs to my basement living room to find a movie is paused, and has been for a long time. For example, yesterday nobody had been home since about 3pm and I discovered the TV was on and paused at 10:45pm.

When people use the "goodbye" button when leaving the house it doesn't matter, because it turns everything off. I still have problems with the kids pausing a show to do something "real quick" and then forgetting and not coming back. Depending on what room they're in, this could go unnoticed by me for some time.

So it got me thinking about doing some programming where when a room is paused, it starts a timer (say 15 minutes?) and if at the end of the timer it's still paused to turn off the room. I could have a warning announcement one minute before it turns off, in case you're just sitting there. You could then press a button to extend the timer or something. Has anyone ever done anything like this before? Just curious to hear a real use case and is it probed problematic in any way.

It becomes a bit more problematic if the source plays again on a second push of pause - if people know that and use it at least.

The basics are simple - indeed RESET timer on pause, second etc push of pause starting the timer over again.

The system isn't 'aware' of a source being paused or not.

So more work is coming up with scenario's where you want to stop that timer. Play is obvious, you'll want one on room off as well (in case people turn off and restart), change current device is another.

You'd have to look at the habits and some of the functions of sources too - ie my wife tends to pause then skip forward/reverse - which unpauses as well. So I'd have to add one to room command skip forward/reverse as well.

lengthy but i have done it for a kids tv.  have a timer for 30-60 mins. and program each button to reset the timer. you can cheat and use the volume channel guide and pause just to do the reset. this would ensure if the room is left on and no commands are sent in that time to turn off the room.  soo many more conditionals can be programmed into this, its just all about time!!!

Thanks guys. I've gone similar programming before and realize what's required in terms of making it happen. I was just curious if anyone had done it and what problems may have arose.

You both bring up good points. Thank you!

Archived