C4 Forums | Control4

Loop controlled with variable

tfmeier

I'm trying to run 10 times through an IF statement but it executes once only; e.g

*** Start of code

Variable X=1

IF Variable X <= 10   (via conditionals)

Command x

X=X+1

*** End of code

So based on my limited understanding Command x should be executed 10 times before the evaluation of Variable X = 11 and so command X will no longer be executed. Trouble is it runs only once. What do I need to do to stay in this IF statement?

Any help much appreciated

I think you want "While", which your dealer will have to do - not available in HE.

Your code will always end up with X=2.

you could put the code in the event where variable X changes and just stop when X > 10

Stay away from loops/while statements, there's a reason it's been blocked.

Please explain what it is you want - a timed counter of some sort is my guess- use a timer, repeatin

When (event trigger)

start timer x

When timer x expires

variable y = y+1

When variable y changes

IF variable y <= 10

blah blah

IF variable y >10

blah blah

you could get this to loop. 

create a macro

go to your programming section

if this happens then

x=1

execute macro

in the macro programming

if x </= 10

command x

add 1 to variable

execute macro

you may want a 1 or 2 second delay in there while testing in case you do not nest this properly or it may make it hard to stop if it gets stuck in a loop

PROGRAM AT YOUR OWN RISK 

Now if that isn't what you want - to do what I think you're trying to say there, you simply want to add that IF statement multiple times with a small delay each time:

Variable X=1

Command x

X=X+1

delay 200ms

Variable X=1

Command x

X=X+1

delay 200 ms

Variable X=1

Command x

X=X+1

etc

Thanks for the responses so far and sorry guys, was late when I posted this yesterday so it may not have been too clear.

My 8 y.o. daughter was asking me whether I could change the lights on the 3 button keypad to some colors given it was Xmas. Silly me said yes and so I picked up this mini project :)

Essentially I'd like to use the scheduler and create a trigger with the sunset event running until sunrise. Within these two (time) end points I run a couple of LED color change patterns on the keypads throughout the house (Set LED x color to <color> on <keypad>). The color change patterns stop at sunrise (alternatively I use the same starting point; i.e. sunset but a different end point; e.g. midnight when everyone's asleep).

So I guess using a macro (as Matt suggested) I'd have to check for the sunset/sunrise condition and possible start a timer when the sunset event starts (i.e. the macro runs until sunset indicated through a variable Z). A second scheduler creates a sunrise event which then is used to set a corresponding flag; i.e. variable Z.

Re variables I assume these are 'global' as in regardless where I define 'x' I can read the value of 'x' to determine what to do, right?

Clearer what I'm trying to do?

i would create a sheduler even for sunset

when sunset happens

set leds to the colors you want

at sunrise

set them back

if you are trying to have them constantly changes colors you will likely end up slowing down your entire system or cause director to crash depending on how many keypads you are trying to change

or if you do want them to change all the time just be sure to put about 10 second timer in there

at sunset

start timer

when timer expires

if its midnight

stop

change leds colors

start timer

this will continally loop and you can start it on any given event

29 minutes ago, Matt Lowe said:

or if you do want them to change all the time just be sure to put about 10 second timer in there

at sunset

start timer

when timer expires

if its midnight

stop

change leds colors

start timer

this will continally loop and you can start it on any given event

Err.

Just use a REPEATING 10 second times

Use schedule to start timer (and set colors), and stop timer (and set colors)

When timer expires

variable +1

when variable changels

if variable =1

-change to color x

if variable =2

-change to color y

If variable =>3

-change to color z

set variable to 0

Guys, thanks for the input. Works fine now with your help. Here's what I've done:

Agents

• Created a Scheduler Agent X to execute daily at Sunset until the end of the festive season
  • Created a Timer Agent Y with a certain interval

Programming

• Created an event on the Scheduler Agent X to start the timer Y created under on the Timer Agent > When scheduled event X executes
  1. Start Timer Y
  • Added the main code to the Timer Event "When Timer Y expires"
  1. The code starts with an IF condition to specify the end time (e.g. midnight) and off color (e.g. black) to "switch off" the light show at midnight. IF condition finishes with a Stop statement to stop code execution
  2. Rest of the code deal with the color change patterns

As mentioned all works as designed with your help. Thanks again, guys!

Archived