C4 Forums | Control4

New User Help Needed

Hi All,

Sorry if this has been asked/answered before, I searched but could not find anything. I decided to replace my router due to an issue after a power surge. Same exact model (ASUS RT-N66U), I backed up the config and applied it to the new router. Everything works great...except my Control4. I can turn the receiver/TV on and off and it defaults to the first of about 6 devices I have connected...but that's it. I cannot switch to any of the other devices, I cannot control the volume, nada. The individual remote for the receiver works fine, so it appears to just be a Control4 issue. Tried it on my iPhone app but same issue.

I wasn't here when they installed the remote and receiver, I don't recall ever giving them access to my router so the config settings I copied from the old to the new should have kept everything the same.

I guess I may not really understand, how does the controller box (EA-1) function? Since my router is set to DHCP, it it possible that the EA-1 has a new IP that is preventing it from functioning? And, I guess most importantly, can I fix this without the dealer (I do networking and computer repair for a living) or is something they have to come back and resolve?

Thanks for any help!

My routing table says that the control 4 was using a static IP. I still have the config file, are you saying that if I restore the other devices back to their IP (some were probably static), this will resolve the issue? I guess the receiver had an IP, would that explain the volume control not working? I can easily restore the IPs of the devices from the config backup, with the exception of the receiver since it was installed after I made the backup.

Is there any way on the remote or in the portal to see exactly what IP the controller is looking for?

Thanks for your help.

I have heard of people losing C4 control totally when they change their router and thus needing a dealer to “register” the controller on the new network.  From the sound of things, you don’t have this issue so resetting all IP addresses to what they were prior to the change may make things.

IF (and that is a big IF - as I am assuming things here, which can be dangerous) the Receiver is IP controlled, you would be able to find the IP address that has been set up in the driver properties in the C4 Composer software.

I would think the settings I need are in the C4 Composer that the dealer used the day they installed it, no? If I purchase HE, would it be able to see the IP addresses that were previously set to the devices I have connected?

Just now, Gumdoc said:

I would think the settings I need are in the C4 Composer that the dealer used the day they installed it, no? If I purchase HE, would it be able to see the IP addresses that were previously set to the devices I have connected?

Yes and yes... but again, this is making the assumption that the devices are IP controlled and that the issue is that the IP addresses have changed.  You know what they say about assuming...

Thanks for your help. If the devices are all the same, the network is the same, I've done cold reboots of everything...what else could it possibly be? Pretty sure I recall them telling me that they were setting everything up with IP addresses..

4 hours ago, Gumdoc said:

Thanks for your help. If the devices are all the same, the network is the same, I've done cold reboots of everything...what else could it possibly be? Pretty sure I recall them telling me that they were setting everything up with IP addresses..

Then, the assumption of IP addresses is probably right and worth testing before calling in a dealer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.