C4 Forums | Control4

EA3 instead of EA5. What’s the best way to add an extra music source/zone?

Waring192

Question

As the topic suggests, I may be getting a EA3 instead of the EA5 due to possible lost parcel and outside insurance time 😩 so if that’s the case I will just get the EA3.

I 100% need 4  but maybe 5 after the winter. I do have a brand new Fusion Research 3 zone music player which would create 6 audio/music zones but that might be to much really. 

i have a few Apple Airport Express pucks kicking around doing nothing. Could I use one of the Airport’s 3.5mm jack as source with the EA3 to create 4 music zones?

Cheers

5 answers to this question

Ouch. Can you add more music sources to add to the system that way, yes. That said all you'd get is airplay from your phone.

My usggestion - see if you can't find and HC800 for cheap to slave to the main controller, that'll get you 2 stereo out and a digital out to use with a DAC.

NOTE that you'll limit your sound quality a bit, though with 5 streams, it won't be by terribly much.

That’s a shame, I was hoping the music could be ‘pushed’ somehow through the EA3. What do people normally do in my circumstance?

Could you give me a price for a EA5 please? If it’s to much I will go down the HC800 route as they cheap to pick up on eBay. 

The other option I thought of which I think is similar is to get two EA1’s where the main TV’s are and slave that way which would also mean I get the C4 OSD?

Just noticed the EA3 has the audio outputs listed as HDMI, digital coax and analog stereo. How would that work regarding the connection to the C4 Matrix I have? 

if I bought a HC800 as a slave it would give me a extra digital coax and two extra analog to the Matrix which is perfect as there would be 5 outputs in total for my zones: Living Room, Kitchen, Master Bedroom, Large Spare and Bathroom.

Or I still have the option of using the EA3 plus Fusion Research Duet (3 sources). If I was to use the Fusion would the GUI look just the same as if I was using a HC800 slave (Album Art etc)?

What I really wanted to do was use this on my unRAID server: https://music-server.net/help/Willkommen.html

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.