C4 Forums | Control4

C4-16amp3-b Partial Audio Sensing

Do you have a device with a spare relay nearby? A HC800 or 250 (depending on OS of the system) or an EA. Or other things.

It's easier to run a 2 core alarm wire between the two devices and use a relay and the power am driver than do the coding you are trying to do.

I have a C4-16amp3-b that I never tried using audio sensing for programming. Now that I have tried I found that inputs 1-4 are sensing audio and inputs 5-8 are not. Is there a way to turn audio sensing on or are these 4 inputs just dead? 

Most likely you have some dead inputs. I do not recall seeing any settings to adjust this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 1/28/2020 at 6:32 AM, Baubas Cat said:

I have a C4-16amp3-b that I never tried using audio sensing for programming. Now that I have tried I found that inputs 1-4 are sensing audio and inputs 5-8 are not. Is there a way to turn audio sensing on or are these 4 inputs just dead? 

this was never an accurate feature of these amps. I would suggest switching to other drivers that do the detection based on IP or program in commands to power the system on by other means.

This also depends on the sources. For example, a cable box is most likely “always on” therefore the audio output is always on. So there is no change for the amp to see. 
also, the detection is based on output from source. There will be a minimum power output required to “trigger” the sensing on the amp. I have used a preset volume that is higher for a moment to trigger the sensing on other devices in the past. 

perhaps making sure the device’s audio output actually stops producing power when off or not selected would help. 

I tested the 8 inputs by connecting an Echo Dot with a headphone jack to RCA cable while playing music through the Dot. I programmed each input on the amp to turn the light of the room on then off when it sensed audio. The first 4 inputs (input 1-4) triggered the lights when I plugged in the Dot. The last 4 inputs (input 5-8) did not. All 8 inputs play the audio when selected and the green lights under the inputs come on when audio is playing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.