C4 Forums | Control4

composer pro non-SSL connection

Hello,

do you know whether it's possible to configure composer pro (2.x) not to use an SSL connection when connecting to controller?

I remember that earlier releases (2.5) tried SSL first then falled back to non SSL if the first failed.

Is there a configuration option to tell composer to directly use the non SSL port (5020)? This is for a troubleshooting of course.

Thanks in advance

Rick

Hey guys don't need your lecture, I'm using Control4 since 4 years now, write drivers for it, etc

I would like to understand why I can't open my 3.1 project with Composer 2.9 and I believe the openssl version installed on the

controller has disabled weak SSL ciphers that are used by pre-3.0 composers. 

I already have enabled port 5020 on controller to be accessed from network but only 2.5.3 connects, not later versions...

So perfectly legit question isn't it.

Thanks for your time

Rick

I do know it is not supported but the upgrade to 3.1 had left my cover art behind so I was trying to open the project with a previous version of composer.

From controller log I see that when I connect with 2.9 to the 3.1 controller  there is an SSL cipher mismatch error and I think that's the only issue we have when trying  to use a pre-3.0 composer (as you said it's due to the new openssl library that refuses weak ciphers).  So I wanted to try and avoid SSL  but it seems all recent releases of composer do not try to use the non-secure port anymore.

I recovered the cover art in the meanitime by unpacking the project file manually, extracting the images and uploading them to the controller.

But still the curiosity remained.

Thanks

Rick

So in 4 years you haven't figured out that you can simply export the media library in composer from a back-up and load it in again?

Or you don't have a back-up?

Or to simply ask how to recover what you need and you would have gotten the above answers?

Curiosity killed the cat/ 😉

In 4 years I have seen countless bugs in various versions of composer pro, that's what I have seen , my dear. Including the latest: cover art gone MIA while upgrading.

I first tried to open the project in virtual director on 3.1.0 and got this:

immagine.png.9739106ada984e0e1f295bcf8c0709b6.png

So: I tried Composer pro 2.9.1 (the OS  I was running before upgrading to 3.1.0) but when I try to  launch the virtual director it crashes:

immagine.png.8623c48b6af9896e8ea05f0287e348e8.png

Then I tried 2.10.1 and the virtual director did not crash, but when loading the project still:

immagine.png.d414b9b576a2435538d39ceb73a035f2.png

So, I could not open the pre-upgrade version of the project because no version of composer pro virtual director would open it.

I do have a spare HC-800 and probably I could have installed that with 2.9.1 and then could have exported from there, but unpacking the project file was faster and easier than the "official" process.

FYI I  have backups of after every minor change I did to the project.  Oldest is from mid 2018.

Rick

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.