C4 Forums | Control4

Shutters and Gates

Juri

Hello everyone,

Hope you are all doing well!

If you don't mind I would like to ask a question regarding shutters/rollers and gates.

Is it possible to realise their opening and closing using 8 channel relay since in their manual says that you can use them to control motors also not only light loads? From you experience is this possible? If so what are advantages and disavantages? Or it would be more efficient to use KNX module?

Thanks in advance!

8 hours ago, Juri said:

Hello everyone,

Hope you are all doing well!

If you don't mind I would like to ask a question regarding shutters/rollers and gates.

Is it possible to realise their opening and closing using 8 channel relay since in their manual says that you can use them to control motors also not only light loads? From you experience is this possible? If so what are advantages and disavantages? Or it would be more efficient to use KNX module?

Thanks in advance!

As in the Panelized lighting relay? Assuming they are 110/220 motors with direct control, yes - but most would use a contact (low voltage) to trigger up/down open/close.

In general can you use relays to control shades and gates within Control4 - sure you can. But normally you wouldn't use high voltage for them, so the C4 lighting relay module is not likely what you're looking for.

It's hard to tell you what might work for you if you don't let us know what you have....

On 4/26/2021 at 6:01 PM, Cyknight said:

As in the Panelized lighting relay? Assuming they are 110/220 motors with direct control, yes - but most would use a contact (low voltage) to trigger up/down open/close.

In general can you use relays to control shades and gates within Control4 - sure you can. But normally you wouldn't use high voltage for them, so the C4 lighting relay module is not likely what you're looking for.

It's hard to tell you what might work for you if you don't let us know what you have....

To be honest the question was in general because but I was refering panalized lighting relay. I want to be sure about what I am going to use if I get involved in project where we would need to control them. 

Many other firms like Control4 offers special modules for this kind of things, whereas Control4, (what I have seen and they are not many ) is more focused at lighting and audio/video control.  

In case I would use a contact, what would be a solution?

I know I doing a lot of question and I apologise if I am disturbing you.

Thank you in advance!

Hi Juri,

If the shutters/shades or gates are mains controlled then yes, the panelised lighting relay module would work to control them.

However, if they are low voltage then you would want to use the relays built into an EA3 or EA5, or if you need more then you can add IO Extenders. If the devices are spread out over a wide area and you have good Zigbee, then you could also look at the Z2IO devices.

Control4 doesn't have a 'named' relay control device as such - but as mentioned above their controllers include a few - and the i/o extender does 8 dual throw relays which can do 4-8 blinds depending on the type and desired control. It's not dedicated to 'just' relays and/or contacts, but it more universal (it also includes IR control outputs and serial ports).

Z2IO is an option if there's no wires, or 3rd party options such as the one mentioned earlier in the thread from Blackwire Designs - I'm sure drivercentral also has some driver options.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.