C4 Forums | Control4

Chime functionality without an NVR

DLite

Question

Hi,

I'm considering/planning for a POE Chime installation.  Currently, all our other cameras at home are Nest, so we don't have an NVR.  Is it possible to install the Chime without an NVR on the network, or is the NVR essential?  

In particular, I care most about getting real-time video of a person at the front door; will that work without an NVR?  More generally, what functionality will I lose without installing an NVR?

Thanks!

3 answers to this question

@DLite I have a Chime POE without an NVR (looking to eventually add cameras with an NVR).  Currently I can view live real time video using Intercom Anywhere or Camera view from my T4, C4 App and most of my EA controllers using the Camera button.  I say most of my EAs as for some reason my EA5 only wants to pull a static image while the EA1s will pull a live feed but sometimes I do have to select cameras and back out to select again to get a live feed.  The C4 Intercom Anywhere is the app you need to use for live dialog if you want to talk to somebody while they are at the door. 

Using Composer you can setup push notifications with still shots when motion is activated on the Chime.  Using the History button in the C4 app or elsewhere you can pull motion activated events and watch short replays.  I believe those are stored on the C4 cloud for about 2 weeks so you can go back and view things in the past without the use of an NVR.  I think the biggest drawback at the moment when not using the NVR is the storage limit (2 weeks vs how ever many TB of storage your NRV has) as well as not being able to pull full live video from any point in the past unless I am just not aware how to do it. Meaning I can only pull 6 second videos of when motion was activated as opposed to watching hours of full replay from the past. Hope that helps. 

39 minutes ago, PorterTX said:

@DLite I have a Chime POE without an NVR (looking to eventually add cameras with an NVR).  Currently I can view live real time video using Intercom Anywhere or Camera view from my T4, C4 App and most of my EA controllers using the Camera button.  I say most of my EAs as for some reason my EA5 only wants to pull a static image while the EA1s will pull a live feed but sometimes I do have to select cameras and back out to select again to get a live feed.  The C4 Intercom Anywhere is the app you need to use for live dialog if you want to talk to somebody while they are at the door. 

Using Composer you can setup push notifications with still shots when motion is activated on the Chime.  Using the History button in the C4 app or elsewhere you can pull motion activated events and watch short replays.  I believe those are stored on the C4 cloud for about 2 weeks so you can go back and view things in the past without the use of an NVR.  I think the biggest drawback at the moment when not using the NVR is the storage limit (2 weeks vs how ever many TB of storage your NRV has) as well as not being able to pull full live video from any point in the past unless I am just not aware how to do it. Meaning I can only pull 6 second videos of when motion was activated as opposed to watching hours of full replay from the past. Hope that helps. 

Thank you, that is very helpful and sounds pretty good to me.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.