C4 Forums | Control4

My HC1000 took a major crap out on me today.

My customers system is totally off line. I can not connect to it thru composer 2.0 or thru My.control4.com. I can't download the project either. I did the press and hold reset on it while replugging in the power cord. But a no go. I can not even Ping it by its IP address. Called Tech support today and they think I should reset the machine back to factory spec. by flashing the firmware back to 1.8.2. This is a new install as of 1 month ago and has been bullet proof since. I have never done this before. Is there instructions on how to do this and can somebody post a link or just write it out. I will need instructions on what to do once I somehow get the old firmware on a flash drive. So where do I find this firmware????

Does anybody think this will fix the issue, or should I just request a replacement HC1000. But if I do that does that affect my 3 ipad licenses and Rhapsody and 4sight I have on this system. I am hoping to not spend more than half a day on this because I can not bill for this. It is not my customers fault that his brand new system just crashed. Thanks in advance.

-Larry

You can get the software to make a recovery stick in the dealer section of the Control4 website. Goto Support and then software updates. Once in the software updates section scroll down to Control4 recovery utility and download the program. Once downloaded run it and basically follow the instructions if you have difficulties the documentation is in the software updates section as well. Once created insert the USB stick in the USB port of the HC1000 and cycle the power to run the utility on the controller.

It is really easy, just as described above. Once the lights are on solid, remove the USB stick and power cycle the controller again.

Don't forget to remove the USB stick. If you leave it there it will restore itself everyome it reboots. It won't affect the licenses you mentioned. Just re-register the controller after you get it back online.

I hope you have a recent backup of the project...good luck.

I see the new versions of the hc-200 and hc-300 have a factory reset built into them. I see this as a good and bad thing. Good for those who know what they are doing, bad for those who dont, their system is down and cant wait for their dealer, so they reset everything!

I'm going through a similar problem myself with an HC300. Luckily it's only the video output and I just don't use that one for the GUI for the time being.

If I were a C4 dealer and had to go on-site for an issue that turned out to be firmware or hardware, I'd be a little upset that there's no form of compensation from C4. Basically, you're doing manufacturers warranty work for them for free.

I see the new versions of the hc-200 and hc-300 have a factory reset built into them. I see this as a good and bad thing. Good for those who know what they are doing, bad for those who dont, their system is down and cant wait for their dealer, so they reset everything!

I suppose you talking about the new HC300C because I sometimes reset my HC300 by holding the Identication button for 30 to 40 second but it never resets my firmware or programmation. Of what I understood on this forum is that it resets your basic setting like your networking settings,etc.. But I might be wrong which means I have a special HC 300.

Thanks guys... This is a big help. But, just to confirm. Do I just load the utility right to my thumb drive, or do i need to load to my desk top first, extract files, then transfer to thumb drive? And last question. Is this utility good for all HC units? IF so, being a (Newbee) dealer for C4 it might be worth it to just keep this thumb drive with me when doing projects out in the field for those "just in case situations". And I have to make this work. I'm like 95% done on this job and still need to get my balance due. LOL

@cgreenwell - I 100% agree. I stand to loose $100.00 per hour because that is what I charge to hook up and program automation systems.

We are having the same issue on 2 projects. It seems like the issue is with this process useoldzserver is deprecated. Both projects we are having this issue the HC1000 is the zigbee server.

We have posted the issue and as soon as we receive a response we'll let you know.

My project consists of 1 HC1000 as the server, 1 HC300 as the zigbee server and RS232 unit. And 6 HC200's behind 6 tv's. 1 C4 16x16 audio switch, 2 C4 16 ch amps, 1 sony component switcher, 3 C4 stats, 2 7" Touch panels, 3 iPads, 48 zones of lights, 6 250 remotes, 4sight, Rhapsody, 3 Verizon Fios cable boxes, 1 Sony Bluray, C4 dual tuner with XM, GE alarm panel. Came out of Tech 1 training and right into this job 2 weeks later. So I am still a little wet behind the ears on trouble shooting C4 equipment. :-) Too bad my boss could not throw an easy install my way. Like a TV, DVD, Sat Box, Surround receiver, and HC300 W/250 remote. hahaha!

Acetechno, you should post this on the dealer forums for a quick response. There is a whitepaper on the dealer support site for how to use the recovery utility and searching there has a lot of us who have posted a lot for that stuff. I can assure you even being new thats not a bad project and shouldnt be to hard for a new install.

We have resolved this issue.

On both systems we deleted the /etc/DirectorState.xml and /etc/DirectorState.bak files and reloaded the backup of the project.

One project would not load as it crashed director as soon as it was restored. The way we fixed this was loaded the backup into virtual director and disconnected both the hc1000 and hc300's creating a new backup and loading that onto the HC1000.

Hopefully this helps someone else down the road.

Problem fixed today. Did a Firmware reboot from 2.0 back to 1.8.2. loaded project, updated firmware back to 2.0, unregister controller and reregister controller, power cycle HC1000 and HC300 Brought whole system back on line. Tested. Took 4 hours. Tech support had to do a little hand holding, but got me thru it. Also had to unassign my 3 iPads and rediscover them. Not to bad of a day.

• 3 years later...

Archived