C4 Forums | Control4

Just Add Power Rackmounted 2G Transmitters

I think the JAP solutions is great but out of sight on price for residential installations. Many more options or ways to go with other manuf.

Just my 2 cents...

Can you provide additional info on other solutions you have used or researched? It is always good to have alternatives.

I think the JAP solutions is great but out of sight on price for residential installations. Many more options or ways to go with other manuf.

Just my 2 cents...

Can you provide additional info on other solutions you have used or researched? It is always good to have alternatives.

I've used Audio Authority's AVAtrix with success. Its component/IR control with 6 source/6 receivers. The receivers are nice because the Cat-5's plug into a decora style wall plate. This is something that all the HDMI-IP solutions have yet to provide, at least not that I have been able to find. With the HDMI-IP solutions such as JAP or others (not picking on JAP just using it since its the title of the thread), I guess you could hide the receiver so you could then mount it within the wall and then attach a decora plate but if you have issues it might be hard to get out unless you use a double/triple gang box. The other issue I've had with HDMI-IP is that if a source isn't on it takes a few seconds to recognize before switching will occur. Given this is 5 or so seconds, it reminded me of old satellite boxes taking so long to switch channels (you can rectify this by adding another receiver but thats more $). I haven't jump in on the HDMI-IP solutions for this reason along with cost. If you take the 4 receivers (say you get them at $500 each) and 4 transceivers (say $500 each again), then you are talking $4000.00 + good managed switch for $800.00 + programming. The mono price or others are probably a better bang for your buck if you can stay at a 4x4 but as you go up the JAP solution becomes more attractive....if you go up into the 10 or 20 range of sources or TV's the JAP or HDMI-IP solution is probably the best option and therefore my comment on residential installations. I think as manuf. move away from component (if they ever do) and just provide HDMI, so will the manuf. of matrixes and thus will bring down the prices of these items such as a 8x8 HDMI solution (at least hoping!). I've also used AVocation's which success. There are many out there but the cost effective solutions are component with the HDMI solutions the most expensive (from my research).

Hope this helps you...

Gene,

It is not very fair comparing a component matrix to an HDMI solution. You should be comparing HDMI matrix prices.

That is like saying Ford Trucks are great for commercial but too expensive for residential use and then following up that what is good product for the price for residential is a minivan.

I point this out because many people absolutely want HDMI, whether it is long cables with extenders, matrix switch, JAP, etc.

Point taken but I was trying to show that the HDMI-IP solution is expensive versus component and gets to the goal of having a matrix. Now I know we could debate the picture quality etc...between the two. The HDMI-IP solution is awesome and who wouldn't want HDMI but cost is a factor for most DIY's.

Point taken but I was trying to show that the HDMI-IP solution is expensive versus component and gets to the goal of having a matrix. Now I know we could debate the picture quality etc...between the two. The HDMI-IP solution is awesome and who wouldn't want HDMI but cost is a factor for most DIY's.

So is the PQ and Switching issues (EDID, HDCP, etc), however we are being pushed to HDMI whether we like it or not.

Just my 2 cents...

For smaller sized systems the JAP solution isnt very low cost but once you get into larger systems the system is an amazing value.. You cant even compare a 24x24 or a 10x24 etc sized system to anyone.. The Just Add Power solution can be very low cost then

Just my 2 cents...

I've used Audio Authority's AVAtrix with success. Its component/IR control with 6 source/6 receivers. The receivers are nice because the Cat-5's plug into a decora style wall plate. This is something that all the HDMI-IP solutions have yet to provide' date=' at least not that I have been able to find. With the HDMI-IP solutions such as JAP or others (not picking on JAP just using it since its the title of the thread), I guess you could hide the receiver so you could then mount it within the wall and then attach a decora plate but if you have issues it might be hard to get out unless you use a double/triple gang box. The other issue I've had with HDMI-IP is that if a source isn't on it takes a few seconds to recognize before switching will occur. Given this is 5 or so seconds, it reminded me of old satellite boxes taking so long to switch channels (you can rectify this by adding another receiver but thats more $). I haven't jump in on the HDMI-IP solutions for this reason along with cost. If you take the 4 receivers (say you get them at $500 each) and 4 transceivers (say $500 each again), then you are talking $4000.00 + good managed switch for $800.00 + programming. The mono price or others are probably a better bang for your buck if you can stay at a 4x4 but as you go up the JAP solution becomes more attractive....if you go up into the 10 or 20 range of sources or TV's the JAP or HDMI-IP solution is probably the best option and therefore my comment on residential installations. I think as manuf. move away from component (if they ever do) and just provide HDMI, so will the manuf. of matrixes and thus will bring down the prices of these items such as a 8x8 HDMI solution (at least hoping!). I've also used AVocation's which success. There are many out there but the cost effective solutions are component with the HDMI solutions the most expensive (from my research).

Hope this helps you...[/quote']

I am confused as to why you are comparing a component video distribution system against an HDMI system... of course it will cost much more

Also as a little FYI for the consumers on here. BlackWire Designs ( a just add power authorized distributor ) has a few 1st Generation systems that were used on demo displays, showrooms and in homes that were upgraded to 2G due to the clients buying higher end monitors for sale to the public. If you are interested in a 1G system at an amazing price dont hesitate to contact me.

So is the PQ and Switching issues (EDID' date=' HDCP, etc), however we are being pushed to HDMI whether we like it or not.[/quote']

I totally agree.

Also as a little FYI for the consumers on here. BlackWire Designs ( a just add power authorized distributor ) has a few 1st Generation systems that were used on demo displays, showrooms and in homes that were upgraded to 2G due to the clients buying higher end monitors for sale to the public. If you are interested in a 1G system at an amazing price dont hesitate to contact me.

Just Add Power is backing up the Blackwire 1G special with a full 1 year warranty to the new owner. You will get a new to you system at a great price (sort of a scratch and dent sale). And don't think you are buying an out of date product. We are coming out with new 1G models and devices. The 1G series will continue to be built and sold for a long time. If you have been wishing to get into HDMI over IP, but needed a better price, this is a unique opportunity. Call or email Kevin (go to www.blackwiredesigns.com for contact details).

Archived